OEM flares and mudflaps (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DamoPeru

SILVER Star
Threads
i'm hoping to get some factory flares and mudflaps for my 78. From what i can tell I don't believe a 75 or 78 came with flares, so can anyone confirm that the 70, 71, 73 and 74 (which have the same factory rear flare part numbers) have the same rear wheel arch dimensions as the 75 and 78?

The 75 and 78 troopy would have it's own unique rear flares but or the other model front flares will fit. I'm sure Toyota would have genuine flares for the 78 but if not there available aftermarket.

Last edited:
I thought that but after scouring the EPC for a 75 or 78 with flares I couldn't find a single model.

Does anyone out there have a 75 or 78 with factory flares that can tell me their model/years/market?

i just had an extensive review of every 75 and 78 in the EPC since 1984 for all 4 markets and I can't find a single model with factory flares. if the rear wheel arch is different, that might partly explain it as well.

looks like i may have drawn a blank.

in terms of the aftermarket, the reason i want factory is i haven't seen an aftermarket flare with a mudflap incorporated that drops down vertically from the outside of the flare, like those on the 73/74's do.

The flare should fit by comparison between the wheel arch on both models.
I personally prefer genuine flare than aftermarket as genuine flare lined up intimately on the body.

four x 4 spares seem to list genuine hzj78r rear wheel flares
yeah i reckon they must just assume they are genuine because they fit the curves. I asked on the aussie troopcarrier group today and seems no troopy ever had them. yeah I've seen the FRP's, they duck in down low to follow the bodyline and don't accomodate they're own mudflap.

The flare should fit by comparison between the wheel arch on both models
have you actually measured them yourself or just been told? if they'll fit I will buy them, but they are so expensive i don't want to unless i really know. I'd be really grateful if you could compare some for me. I have one friend with a 74, but it won't be a couple of months before i can line them up beside each other and get a tape measure out.

The 75 and 78 troopy would have it's own unique rear flares

gday ozcruiser, I've been checking things out a bit and I'm just wondering what it is that actually make's you say that. I've got a few other people elsewhere saying the opposite and I'm really struggling to make a decision. I'm not too worried if not all the bolts and holes line up, as that can be remedied, just want to make sure that the flare itself is the same profile as the wheel arch cutout. this is going to be really expensive compared to aftermarket, so i need to be sure.

edit: just some more info... between the 70, 74 and 78 in the post 1999 models, all the quarter wheel house inner and outer panels are exactly the same part number, which for me increases the chances that the outer profile of the wheel arches are also all the same.

Last edited:
The 75 ute tub and the troopy would have there own flares to suit each body shape but from my home work regarding your post the troopy has a cut out for the fuel cap so if any off the shorty has the same fuel tank position your in business.

hj75 pick up - Google Search

Last edited:
Yeah it doesn't matter either way for me, I don't currently have a rear filler cap, but I am retro fitting a rear auxiliary tank and filler, so when I get to panelbeating I can deal with whatever comes in terms of the filler cut out, but as far as I know all middy 73/74s have their only filler in that spot behind the arch. Thanks for your help mate!

To answer your q no they didnt,
If it come with the 16x7 alloys it come with flares
RV and GXl top of the range model in Aus
As for Aus troopys they never came with flares, The RV model hdj78 and gxl vdj78 come with split rims so no flares, where as the rv hdj79 come with the alloys so they got the flares as with the gxl vdj 76 and 79. The gxl dual cabs in aus come with the alloys and flares on the front as they have a wide tray on the back so rare tyre dont hang out but in japan the top of the range dual cab still come with split rims and no flares because they have the rear tub and toyota didnt make flares for it (dualcab tub).
In saying that i have seen a pic of oem fj73 flares on a troopy so i presume the wheel arch are they same shape and size not sure if the sub tank filler is back abit more than the troopy rear quarter panel

To answer your q no they didnt,
RV and GXl top of the range model in Aus
As for Aus troopys they never came with flares, The RV model hdj78 and gxl vdj78 come with split rims so no flares, where as the rv hdj79 come with the alloys so they got the flares as with the gxl vdj 76 and 79. The gxl dual cabs in aus come with the alloys and flares on the front as they have a wide tray on the back so rare tyre dont hang out but in japan the top of the range dual cab still come with split rims and no flares because they have the rear tub and toyota didnt make flares for it (dualcab tub).
In saying that i have seen a pic of oem fj73 flares on a troopy so i presume the wheel arch are they same shape and size not sure if the sub tank filler is back abit more than the troopy rear quarter panel

https://www.transautomobile.com/pics/1621/transautomobile-toyota-land-cruiser-pick-1621-791559.jpg?

Is this an oem flare for dual cab?

thanks for that interesting rule of thumb, yeah i did see a few 75/79 utes in the EPC with flares... begs the question of why no troopy ever came without splits, especially in the HDJ78 (still my dream cruiser) that clearly had a less commercial orientation.

at the end of the day i'm ordering the full list of parts from a 08/1999-12/2006 FZJ74L-KJMRK in the same market as my vehicle. Srzandres has kindly given me photos of where the numerous brackets go for reference... thank you! getting those lined up correctly is going to be fun.

I haven't seen them off a vehicle in the flesh to see how/when i would do it, but i also plan to fill them with hard setting expansive foam to make them slightly sturdier, though I'm not expecting miracles in terms of crackproofing them. but a new set of brushbars to fit around them should keep them out of trouble.

Never too late to follow up :) I had mentioned them in my build thread but not here...

In a nutshell they fitted perfectly, both front and rear, although there was a lot of eye-balling to get them lined up. I also think I fitted the front fenders a little farther back (as far as they would go) to accommodate my 285/75/16s .

The only issue I hadn't realised was that the front mudflaps have a moulded insert to receive the factory side steps. I needed to improve my side steps anyway, so I will be realigning them so they slot into the moulding

IMG_20170417_1433078.jpg

IMG_20170417_1432266.jpg
IMG_20170327_2345072.jpg

Oh and I haven't yet added the rubber strip separating them from the body, because they are still unpainted.

I'm going to have them Rhino lined inside and out before painting, that should make them much more resistant

Oh and I haven't yet added the rubber strip separating them from the body, because they are still unpainted.

I'm going to have them Rhino lined inside and out before painting, that should make them much more resistant

Hello,

After the Rhino liner is applied, a little WD-40 or oil in the fender's inner side will help to repeal dirt.

Juan

Just found your build posts. Awesome work... sorry about all the bad luck with the engine. I have the same troopy only mine is a 2003 that I have know and helped the first owner maintain since purchasing from Inter-motive. I have not posted much as my build is a 10-12yr expedition project as I am currently working in Africa but hoping to drive from here up through Europe before shipping to Canada in '28 as my retirement bucket list. Your posts have already furnished me with some part numbers I was looking for... ie. longer parking cable.
Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom