October 2018 ROTM - Casner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought it was a great run, not too difficult, and just flat fun. My 4Runner on 31s and a 2" lift did fine, so a well built LC should have no issues, even if it ticks up a notch or two on the scale.

It was certainly rougher last fall than the previous times I've it. Currently do not have a locker option option. I has issue in one spot on the long steep climb. Had to back down and use a different line. My FJ62 has no lockers or limited slip. I also did not air down. It is the long steep climb I would see as possibly being a issue if it's gotten worse. Getting assistance in the middle of the climb could be challenging.

Considering that I've never actually made the run, just hung around in camp, I'm in for an October run.

John, I bet if you aired down you would've done a lot better on that climb

You are probably right Eric. Really wasn't that bad. Once I figured out I couldn't follow Brice's line in my FJ62 I just backed down the hill a little and picked a different line. Not sure it would have been as easy getting going again with a stick. One foot on the gas and one on the brake wasn't bad at all. Not sure I would have liked backing all the way down to the start of the steep section. The middle of the section is the worse and needing help up in the middle while could be done would take a while. As it was we were moving along to try and beat the rain.

Airing down would have made the whole ride more enjoyable. The long section leading up to the gate looked like the main drainage off the hill and was pretty washed out. Certainly doable just not enjoyable. Pretty much determined the 99 4Runner is going and will be doing the suspension on the 04 Runner. Will see how the summer plays out but that would certainly have no problem on that trail with a little lift.

I want not very active with my camera but sure someone did. Is also hope that someone can post up a nighttime pic of the camp mascot jack o' lantern that Jason and Julie made, it was great!

I love that each wheeling trip has unique and different group of people. I think everyone has a good time, weird weather can add a interesting dimension and everyone made the best of it in good cheer.
Shout out to 3 CSCrs that made the journey from Tucson too. Joe in his blue 80 series gets a nod for his first challenging 4x4 trip in his truck and drove like a seasoned pro.

Some of the few pics I did take:

View attachment 1810754View attachment 1810755View attachment 1810756View attachment 1810757
Love the 230kV power line and 2-pole structure. Look forward to being there next year...

I know Brlce mention because of the condition of the trail he was thinking of not doing the run again. Curious is this the case there is not going to be a Casner Mountain run this fall? Weather on rim has almost like fall which made me wonder if the run was happening or now. Really more interested in the camping part. Was quite the group who showed up Saturday.

It is on for 2019
I know Brlce mention because of the condition of the trail he was thinking of not doing the run again. Curious is this the case there is not going to be a Casner Mountain run this fall? Weather on rim has almost like fall which made me wonder if the run was happening or now. Really more interested in the camping part. Was quite the group who showed up Saturday.
John, it is on for 2019. Looks for my thread soon.

I know I am jumping the gun Brice,but do you have a date in mind? I have a co-worker who is really wanting to do an overnight trip and this could be great. Only thing.....he drives a Jeep. So I wanted to get the date and consensus on a Jeep joining in.

I went up there for a work trip (not an over night stay unfortunately) and the road up was a bit rough. We were in a four seat ranger and got bounced around quite a bit.
The weather was cloudy with some rain and hail in patches.
20190521_120447.jpg

Wicked good time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom