OBDII Scanner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife's Pilot started lighting up like a Christmas tree less than a mile from the house and barely made it home. It couldn't muster up the power to get up the driveway. I'm hoping to pull some codes before I decide to send it to the dealer.

So what scanners do you recommend? I have only ever borrowed the ones at O'Reilly and know nothing about them. Features / Pros / Cons / Etc. They seem to range in cost from $20 - $500. I am wanting to keep it under $100, but I'll pay more if it's worth it.

I’ve gone cheap and been happy. $12 blue tooth an $9 tourque app to use the phone. You can barrow mine if you like it’s on an old phone I don’t use very much.

I bought a UltraGauge for my "new" van so I could regularly monitor all it's stuff (mostly voltages). About $90. I also have one in my 80 and I have caught an alternator going out before it was a problem and left me stranded.

My wife's mdx did the same thing, (mdx and pilot are same thing different body)... if you are saying most of all the dash lights turned on and car battery drained, barely running as no power to spark plugs.... then had the same stuff.

It was alternator.

If battery is dead, that is probably the issue.

My wife's mdx did the same thing, (mdx and pilot are same thing different body)... if you are saying most of all the dash lights turned on and car battery drained, barely running as no power to spark plugs.... then had the same stuff.

It was alternator.

If battery is dead, that is probably the issue.

That would be consistent to some of the problems we were experiencing in the past two weeks. I meant to run up to Batteries Plus for a test yesterday, but this happened before I could get it done. I figured the symptoms were so extreme it couldn't just be a battery or alternator. My cheapo blue tooth OBD reader gave me 3 codes. One for a clutch actuator and two that I couldn't find on the google. That's why I figured I needed a better reader. I'll put a full charge on the battery and see what happens.

x2 with charging system fault. I had Morgan in an MDX a couple years back and did the exact same thing when her alternator failed. Simple fix and scanner had codes from all kinds of modules so not relevant. Had similar issues with modern BMWs, Audis, Porches, etc when AGM battery voltage was severely low as all the modules need a specific value to come alive and had hoped that was it on the MDX but no joy...dead alternator. Codes all reset/cleared up after replacement and back to normal.

And don't buy a Orielly alternator. Lifetime warranty... Yeah. I replaced it annually for three years until we sold it.

k

I too would check the alternator. If that is ok then go on the hunt for a failed ground. We recently had a Pilot at work that exhibited those symptoms and suddenly died in traffic. The battery and alternator checked out. We found a broken engine ground.

First, thank you all for the input on my Honda problem. Replaced the alternator Monday and she's running like a champ again.

Second, I still think I'm going to invest in a scanner. Either the scangauge or one of the two below. I'm wanting it more for diagnostics than monitoring system while I'm driving. But if it can do both, then why not. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SQZ45...colid=BIR1AZ0IVXJC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091DJWK...colid=BIR1AZ0IVXJC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I really think alm the app based systems do just as much. My brother uses a cheap WiFi reader and app for his lotus that does more than a $4K professional scanner. I know this because we spent 3 days trouble shooting an issue to figure out basic obd2/emission is the only promiss from a scanner every manufacture has there very own special coding for everything beyond the emissions required by law. The more money might have data logging criteriea and ability to interact with curtain manufactures based on agreements. Until our into the $$$k range your getting the basic info required by law. This is still a bunch of info and worth the $20 for a basic unit. Your paying for the divice hardware not the software.

My .02

$20 offers a lot of convenience and time savings.

I just bought and installed an UltraGauge in my wife's 2009 Chrysler Town and country.

Helps me monitor voltages and engine temps.

Engine temps on that scare me! Hit 224 on a 50 degree day sitting in traffic......

Pretty sure if I use O'Reilly's I have to use it in their parking lot. It's not so convenient when I can't sleep and want to sniff gas fumes at 2:00AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom