OBD II scanners/diagnostic....better brands? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
O.K. so my Auto X-ray 5000 that I've had for about a bazillion years is a little outdated.

Looking to get a handheld (no phone, bluetooth stuff or laptop) unit, just something I can keep in my shop or throw in a vehicle on trips.

SO much has changed in technology since I last purchased a scanner and I am wondering if there are certain recognized/preferred manufacturers?

I'd like to spend about $250.00 - $300.00 but willing to stretch that a bit if it puts me into an entirely new (useful) tier.

So...who makes a good quality, feature packed scanner these days? Reading on the internet...has turned up a plethora of products, leaving me more confused than anything else.

Thank You in advance,

Flint.

Phone/bluetooth - at least the phone app will get updates. plus you get a lot more info

I bought a Launch C Reader VI. It is a few years old but it does most of your OBDII functions, including live data graphing of available parameters. There are updated/upgraded versions that will do above and beyond this, but I just wanted a basic one as a Toyota Technician for non-Toyota vehicles so I could clear CELs and such.

And I just googled them. wow, I paid $150 5 years ago for mine. Now they are $35. haha. I'm sure you'll find a great one for $200! My Launch C Reader (or Creader, however they say it) has been great. Plus it is/was updateable on their website for other vehicles too.

Similar question, but different. Coming from many years of VAG cars (VW/Audi), there were specific consumer products (primarily Ross-Tech's VCDS) that allowed you to do almost what the dealer can do. I understand that isn't the case with Toyota/Lexus.

Is there any advantage for the average consumer to get a cable/techstream over a decent quality OBDII reader?

Why am I asking? My 95 year old mom's RX300 is showing a CEL - probably an O2 sensor - and Autozone will only want to sell you something, so I'd rather just get my own reader. But, since I'll soon be getting a LC, I'd just as soon get something better if it will give me more versatility in the future.

As far as scanners, I'm taking the advice from above and looking at this LAUNCH.

If you guys recommend the techstream, where do I get the software and which cable to buy?

Or is there a better alternative? I'm open to stand-alone, Windows or Android - no Apple please.

IMHO, unless you are going to be doing advanced diagnostics on your vehicles often (active testing components on and off, and/or various utilities available through Techstream such as resetting learned transmission shifting patterns, etc), there is not really much advantage to getting a Techstream. I use a Techstream every day at work, but on my own vehicles (which are Toyota and Lexus), I use my Creader for most things, even though I have access to the Techstream. Just like a calculator, you won't use most of what the expensive scan tools have to offer, because most of what we do daily is adding and subtracting, not square roots or sine, cosine, tangent equations...haha. Likewise, most of what you'll be doing with the scanner is checking the CEL, checking readiness monitors, and clearing the codes once you've fixed the problem. The techstream and other high $$ scanners are definitely worth the money for doing the more advanced jobs. But for most diy-ers, it's overkill. Hope this helps.

IMHO, unless you are going to be doing advanced diagnostics on your vehicles often (active testing components on and off, and/or various utilities available through Techstream such as resetting learned transmission shifting patterns, etc), there is not really much advantage to getting a Techstream. I use a Techstream every day at work, but on my own vehicles (which are Toyota and Lexus), I use my Creader for most things, even though I have access to the Techstream. Just like a calculator, you won't use most of what the expensive scan tools have to offer, because most of what we do daily is adding and subtracting, not square roots or sine, cosine, tangent equations...haha. Likewise, most of what you'll be doing with the scanner is checking the CEL, checking readiness monitors, and clearing the codes once you've fixed the problem. The techstream and other high $$ scanners are definitely worth the money for doing the more advanced jobs. But for most diy-ers, it's overkill. Hope this helps.
It does and that makes sense. I've also been looking at the Ultragauge (the BT version) and am thinking that getting what appears to a quality product vs some sort of cheap Chinese junk. Not sure if that will provide anything useful over the Launch C-Reader that is half the price.

It does and that makes sense. I've also been looking at the Ultragauge (the BT version) and am thinking that getting what appears to a quality product vs some sort of cheap Chinese junk. Not sure if that will provide anything useful over the Launch C-Reader that is half the price.
So, what did I do?

After much hand-wringing and debating with myself, I decided to bite the bullet and get the Scangauge II for a variety of reasons:

- A review of the scanners convinced me that most inexpensive ones were junk
- BT, while convenient, may actually cause issues with the BT in the infotainment system
- Ultragauge has a website that screams 1999, with awful graphics, poor grammar and a clunky feel - does that bode well for their programming?
- Scangauge has a (by numerous reports) far better customer service and the unit will actually do more. With discounts available at Autozone/Advance, the price comes down to about $30 more than Ultragauge.

YMMV