O2 sensors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced my downstream O2 sensors and was surprised how different the new sensors looked that the OEM ones. I looked up the parts on the Denso website and they were the manufacturer of the OEM too. Anyone else notice this? Was there a design change or a new part number that superseeds the old if I ordered OEM from Toyota or would it have looked the same as the original? BTW this was on a 2010.

New on top old on bottom in picture:
IMG_20180331_000544.jpg

Just because they are the same manufacturer you can’t assume aftermarket will be the exact same part. OEMs can specify higher levels of quality than the supplier thinks is worth selling to the public, or stuff like toyota saying the sensor body can’t be more than 2.5” long and denso deciding a 3” sensor would fit. (Just to use a random example)

They’ll probably work fine.

I just replaced my downstream O2 sensors and was surprised how different the new sensors looked that the OEM ones. I looked up the parts on the Denso website and they were the manufacturer of the OEM too. Anyone else notice this? Was there a design change or a new part number that superseeds the old if I ordered OEM from Toyota or would it have looked the same as the original? BTW this was on a 2010.

New on top old on bottom in picture:
View attachment 1666666

Toyota lists three different O2 sensors for the 2010 LC depending on position:

89467-35110 Oxygen Sensor Ft Oxygen Sensor, LEFT and Right

89465-36040 Oxygen Sensor LAND CRUISER; AT CONVERTER; LEFT and Rear Oxygen Sensor, RIGHT

89465-60370 Oxygen Sensor LAND CRUISER; AT CONVERTER; LEFT and RIGHT

Are you sure you have the correct sensor for the one you are replacing?

See parts here: Genuine OEM Emission Components Parts for 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center

HTH

Toyota lists three different O2 sensors for the 2010 LC depending on position:

89467-35110 Oxygen Sensor Ft Oxygen Sensor, LEFT and Right

89465-36040 Oxygen Sensor LAND CRUISER; AT CONVERTER; LEFT and Rear Oxygen Sensor, RIGHT

89465-60370 Oxygen Sensor LAND CRUISER; AT CONVERTER; LEFT and RIGHT

Are you sure you have the correct sensor for the one you are replacing?

See parts here: Genuine OEM Emission Components Parts for 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center

HTH
I ordered the part using the Denso website:
Find My Part

I've driven 50 miles on the new downstream sensors with no issues so far. I'm going to move on to the upstream ones now with fingers crossed.

I ordered the part using the Denso website:
Find My Part

I've driven 50 miles on the new downstream sensors with no issues so far. I'm going to move on to the upstream ones now with fingers crossed.

I didn't ask where you found the part, that link didn't tell me which part you ordered or where you decided to buy it - which leads me to believe you really have no idea whether you have the right part or not.

I'm glad you are having "no issues so far," but the answer to your original question is the difference between your old sensor and the new one you bought is probably the fact that the one you bought is an aftermarket part and the old one is a Toyota part. Just because they are both made by Denso, does not guarantee they are for the same application or meet the same specs.

You can search on RockAuto (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...68,exhaust+&+emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132) and compare the OEM Part Numbers listed in the product descriptions with the Denso Part Numbers. At least that way, even if they differ in appearance, you can determine whether you have the correct part.

Also please note that the Denso Downstream Left Sensor has a different Part Number than the Denso Downstream Right Sensor. Did you use different Part Numbers for your two Downstream Sensors?

HTH

Yeah man... I just tried some o2 sensors I had sitting around for an old Civic I never got around to replacing. ;)

I bought the downstream o2 sensors from RockAuto along with a few other parts I replaced last weekend:
RockAuto.JPG

One of the guys on this forum who was a former Toyota service tech (can't remember which thread I read this on) said the Denso o2 sensors were the exact same as OEM but cheaper so I went with those. When I pulled the o2 sensor and saw it looked different I cross-checked on the Denso site. Sorry... the Denso link in my previous post didn't work as expected. Looks like it just went to the search page, not the results of the search as I intended. The 234-4169 and 234-4260 part numbers were the same part listed on the Denso site so I'm hoping they are the correct ones.

I was hoping someone on here had replaced a downstream o2 sensor and with an OEM sensor and could verify they look like the new Denso one in my photo.

The upstream sensors were cheaper on Amazon so I bought them there:
Amazon.JPG

These looked identical to the ones I removed. (BTW, the passenger side upstream o2 sensor was an exercise in dexterity to get unplug!)

For anyone who ends up stumbling upon this thread with the same question ... 45K miles and a few years later everything is still running great on the O2 sensors. Have had no check engine codes or any performance issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom