O-ring replacement on water bypass pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a coolant leak and replacing o-rings and was wondering if I should apply silicone to the new o-rings or just install as is.

Additionally, looking at the schematic, it looks like there are two o-rings below the pipe. Any tricks to getting out the cast part below the water bypass pipe to get the bottoms two o-rings?

Good on you for studying the diagram, I’ve replaced that 3rd oring a handful of times after the last guy missed it.

A little grease of some sort will do the trick, I keep vaseline in my toolbox.

That small part should wiggle out of there, maybe with careful use of pliers to hold it. Scotchbrite pad to clean up the residue inside and the o-ring grooves.

Got it out!! Thanks!
When reassembling, do NOT use any grease or petroleum product.

Just use antifreeze. Dip your finger in the jug, wipe it on the O-Rings, and reassemble. Simple. Grease and coolant are not compatible. No, they are not in "direct" contact, but there is some contact and I prefer to keep contamination to a minimum if I can prevent it.

I chose to purchase a new sleeve and I am glad I did, as I had to use Channellock pliers to pull it out. Then I used 3M Scotch-Brite pads to clean up the sealing surfaces of the mating parts. The mating surfaces are O-rings and they just need a coating of anti-freeze before torqueing the bolts properly.

When reassembling, do NOT use any grease or petroleum product.

Just use antifreeze. Dip your finger in the jug, wipe it on the O-Rings, and reassemble. Simple. Grease and coolant are not compatible. No, they are not in "direct" contact, but there is some contact and I prefer to keep contamination to a minimum if I can prevent it.

I chose to purchase a new sleeve and I am glad I did, as I had to use Channellock pliers to pull it out. Then I used 3M Scotch-Brite pads to clean up the sealing surfaces of the mating parts. The mating surfaces are O-rings and they just need a coating of anti-freeze before torqueing the bolts properly.
So antifreeze is a petroleum product, I agree it would make a sufficient lubricant for these orings as well.

I've used grease specific to O-rings which is a lithium base and silicone (Dow Corning 55, name has changed I think) or even di-electric grease (which is a silicone grease) but as soon as you fill up the cooling system and run it that grease will quickly be washed out. Main purpose of using either of those or coolant is to decrease the chance the O-ring getting rolled, cut, or pinched when you slide the pipes into place IMHO. Personally I would not use something like wheel bearing grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom