NV4500 & 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 350 will be going in later this spring, but I am getting tired of the nice whining in the stock 4spd. I know a NV4500 might require drive shaft mods, but what about the tunnel mods, and will my shifters be in about the same place?
Can you put a NV behind a LT1, or does anybody make an adapter to mate the LT1's 6spd to the Toyota 4spd TC?

Can't tell you much about the shifter hole compared to a stock 4 speed, but the shifter hole is 2" behind the hole for an SM420.

If you think the stock H42 is whiny, wait until you install the NV4500 :)

Dave

It depends on which cruiser you have... I have a tall 55 so I told myself that I would be able to put it in low below the transmission hump. But in the end the bottom of the engine (not a Chevy 350) was only 3" from the front axle. So I will now have to pull it out and redo the installation and fab up an extension for the dog house (tranny hump) because the NV4500/NP241 is so long. I chose the NP241 b/c it's geared lower and bolts up to the NV4500 versus using a stock case and buying the $600 adapter. In most cases you will have to hack up the inside but it can be done well and cleanly.

Not sure what happened here ... Jack (Medusa) and I both posted about 4500's and the posts seem to have vanished. In a nutshell careful measuring will allow you to put the engine far enough up to keep the shifter in the current tranny hole. The TC shifter will then need some bending and such but it can come out the stock hole as well. Take a look at the tech section where Jack has a link to his build up. My rear driveshaft is 1/2 inch shorter than stock and my front is stock.

The noise factor must be a function of the old 4500's. Mine is super quiet. If there were any thing I wished for it would be for 3rd gear to have a better ratio ... too close to 2nd and too far from 4th in the RPM range. Otherwise it's perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom