Nuts and Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be making some large purchases soon as far as nuts and bolts go for my land cruiser resto and have come across a good supplier that offers several materials of bolts. Each type will have its place, some stainless in non-load bearing exterior pieces, zinc plated in others...

Anyways, what I have for choices are these, and I was wondering if anyone has a machinists handbook or something to tell me the varying strengths of the materials these bolts are made from.

These are the choices I have to pick from. Keep in mind I am looking for the most rust resistant bolts possible for the exterior, and other types for the inside.

Alloy Steel (Class 10.9 Blue Coated Alloy Steel, Class 10.9 Black Oxide Finish Alloy Steel)

Carbon Steel ( Class 8.8 Zinc-Plated Carbon Steel,18-8 Stainless Steel, Zinc-Plated Carbon Steel, Class 8.8 Black-Oxide Finish Alloy Steel)

Stainless Steel (18-8 Stainless Steel, 316 Stainless Steel)

Also, does anyone know what type of bolts that Toyota commonly used? I know they are a good grade in their own right and resist rust fairly well.

Sorry I can't help with the metal strengths, but I have had very good luck with the black-oxide grade 8.8 and 10.9. IIRC they are equivalent to grade 5 and 8 respectively. Have you had any luck finding the "reduced" head nuts and bolts?

All of the toyota bolts I have purchased recently have been 8.8 and look anodized.

yeah,

my bro-in-law got me a truckload of bolts from wiggington (not sure if you have one these around you). they were all 8.8 and were black/anodized. didn't get em for any particular reason, just to have if i needed em.

also, if you can find a big distributor like wiggington, they can usually get you the crazy metric pitches that home depot doesn't have a prayer with.

jonathan

Does Wiggington have a web page? I was not able to find them throught google.

I usually order through www.boltdepot.com. They have all the metric sizes, are helpful and have no minimum order. They also have strength charts for comparison.

i started my SOA today and while lossening up the ublots, on one of the ubolts i broke off both bolts which was a lil scary since only one loose ubolt was holding on the spring...i got a higher grade u bolts to put on thankfully

I just replaced every bolt in my truck, all in stainless except where grade 8 was needed. I bought from fastenal, decent customer service, excellent prices. They have a minimum order of 10 bolts, but that wasn't a problem for me. I spent about $160 dollars in total, and bought differing lengths of 6x1, 8x1.25 and 10x? sizes. Get a tap and die set to do it all right. Fastenal has hundreds of locations across the country, and a web site. They have everything from steel to alum to stainless, ti and inconel. good luck, it's WELL worth it. Rust SUCKS!!!
Ohh, by the way they have a catalog available as well, with all sorts of machinist parts in it, Well over 1000 pages. Later

no idea on the wiggington webpage. my bro-in-law has a couple contracts with them through his job, and he kinda "got" em for me. they are pretty much a small town operation but do a truckload of business. i'll try and find a website for ya.

jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom