Not super impressed with my Halogen upgrade (again) -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the second 80 I've done this on, and I'm not seeing a big difference in lumens or brightness or whatever it's called --

-- I swapped out the traditional incandescent hazard/directional bulbs for the Hella 81140 Halogens (pictured) -- I compared the two side-by-side (incandes. to halogen) and don't see a difference at all --

-- has anyone else had this experience? Hopefully there's some worth to my $55 for these 4 bulbs and convertors --

eric

Obviously, whether there is a difference or not would be up to you to say but mine showed a dramatic difference. I put one in at night, then turned on the flashers and stood back 100 feet or so. I've had mine in for 10 years and the times I've been behind the 80 at night the blinkers are annoyingly bright.

DougM

I don't have any experience with the LC, but I tried a number of things with my Accord...

Tried the "Blue" tinted bulbs with higher wattage. Looked brighter against the garage door. Street signs were significantly brighter to see while driving. But the ability to see futher ahead while driving (what I consider the be THE reason for any bulb replacment) was worse than stock.

Tried the "Halogen" bulbs with higher wattage. See above...except not as good as seeing street signs.

If you're jonesing for a bigger/brighter set of lights, you're going to have to spend alot more than $55. You're talking about a total HID system IMO.

Tom

Are they the same output (watts)? If so, it may be the same things as the headlights - harness is not up to driving more power to the bulbs b/c of thin wire.

Cheers, Hugh

Tom,

We're not talking headlights - heh.

DougM

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=10235;start=msg91576#msg91576 date=1074408207]
Tom,

We're not talking headlights - heh.

DougM
[/quote]

Helps to go back and re-read the original post. :whoops:

T

Turn signals? Do all 80's have them? I don't seem to recall my truck having any. :flipoff2: :-X

I don't really see much value in brightening them. If someone is not close enough to see your turn signals, then why should they care if you are turning or not. :doh: Just my view though, so :flipoff2:

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10235;start=msg91882#msg91882 date=1074483702]
Turn signals? Do all 80's have them? I don't seem to recall my truck having any. :flipoff2: :-X

I don't really see much value in brightening them. If someone is not close enough to see your turn signals, then why should they care if you are turning or not. :doh: Just my view though, so :flipoff2:
[/quote]

for me, I wanted them more for hazards, esp. if I'm slid off the road and have to run the hazards for quite a while b/c my jersey girl and i were trying to re-enact 'the world according to garp' unsuccessfully -- :)

e

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=10235;start=msg91572#msg91572 date=1074407903]
Are they the same output (watts)? If so, it may be the same things as the headlights - harness is not up to driving more power to the bulbs b/c of thin wire.

Cheers, Hugh
[/quote]

the hella halogens are 20W bulbs -- not sure what factory is (and too lazy to go and look) -- !!

e

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=10235;start=msg91893#msg91893 date=1074484753]
for me, I wanted them more for hazards, esp. if I'm slid off the road and have to run the hazards for quite a while [/quote]

You'd be better of putting that $55 on the 3 horse and taking the winnings to a shop for a winch. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10235;start=msg91898#msg91898 date=1074484947]
You'd be better of putting that $55 on the 3 horse and taking the winnings to a shop for a winch. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

or waiting till your 40th falls out of warranty and you sell it for a parts car -- :whoops:

There's 3 towns in the state with that name, so it depends. Could be as close as 9 miles, or several hours. :D Give me a ring if you want. I'll be around most of the day. Or if you're busy, just flick the :flipoff2: towards my exit as you cruise by. :D :D

haha -- i'm going on tuesday -- i'll give you a call -- it's pleasantville with zip 08232 --

-- i'll bring my knuckle rebuild kit along, too -- :) :) :)

Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 17 minutes Total Est. Distance: 132.31 miles

Uhg. Better hope it's a long day.

[quote author=Scamper link=board=2;threadid=10235;start=msg91436#msg91436 date=1074386009]
I don't have any experience with the LC, but I tried a number of things with my Accord...

Tried the "Blue" tinted bulbs with higher wattage. Looked brighter against the garage door. Street signs were significantly brighter to see while driving. But the ability to see futher ahead while driving (what I consider the be THE reason for any bulb replacment) was worse than stock.

Tried the "Halogen" bulbs with higher wattage. See above...except not as good as seeing street signs.

If you're jonesing for a bigger/brighter set of lights, you're going to have to spend alot more than $55. You're talking about a total HID system IMO.

Tom
[/quote]
Doesn't blue light suffer from more scattering? I mean, that's why fog lights are yellow, right?

I like bright blinkers, period. With most of the motoring public busy swapping CD's, dialing cellphones, tapping navigation screens, or simply brain dead at the wheel I like having rear signals that stand out.

Blue lights do scatter more than longer frequency normal bulbs. This is because the closer a light wave's length is to the diameter of dust/water particles in the air, the more it can and will be bounced around. And that's why taillights are red and fog lights are yellow (though I prefer white bulbs in my fogs). As you might guess, I also think the recent trend to red rear turn signals is nothing short of asinine.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom