Northwesttaco's 80 series crawler slammed on 4d's and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats up everyone! Well I've started my second truck build and was told to start a build thread here. I've had one going on Tacomaworld.com as my last was a LT 2nd gen tacoma but thought i'd put it on here too.

Old 2nd gen build: Total Chaos +2 LT race kit, 35's, locked f/r, expo/crawler build
30018694896_7aee66e66b_o-1.jpg

32811386213_cc522ddd09_k.jpg

33552788931_0a10d45112_k.jpg

But with inspiration from a good friend (@Apounder, who has helped me with A TON on this build, and also lets me pick his brain) I sold that this summer, and purchased this: 1996 FJ80, 172k miles, bone stock. Long term plan: 3 link front rock crawler/camper
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Last edited:
Front end:
Moved the axle forward 1"
14" 2.0" King coilovers with resi/clickers custom valved
King 2" air bumps
Ruffstuff 1 ton Y link steering
Fox Steering stabilizer
High steer
RCV axles
Trail Gear diff guard
Tral Gear 3" wheel spacers
Low Range offroad axle truss
Custom 3 link
Complete axle rebuild
PRP limit straps
Slee extended brake lines
Ballistic fab joints
Nitro 5.29's with ARB locker

Rear:
Rear rockers/fenders cut/plated
Dobinson 3" progressive coils
14" 2.5" King's with resi custom valved
Metal Tech rear Links
Iron Man panhard
Slee extended brake lines
Nitro 5.29's with ARB locker

Wheels/tires:
SCS F5’s
Nitto trail grapplers
3" Wheel spacers

Armor:
Trail Gear Front Bumper
ComeUp 9.5RS
TG Front Diff Guard
Lowrange Offroad axle truss
Lucid Designs Rock Sliders

Exterior:
Exhaust reroute
Monstaliner
ARB compressor

Interior:
CB
Tuffy center console
sPod HD

Last edited:
Immediatly started with ripping the running boards/flares/mud flaps off.
Then the fender cutting started, with help/guidance from my good friend @Apounder!
IMG_8107.jpg

Got the front done, for now.. Rear will be done by the fabricator since ill need a plate welded over to cover the gap from the pinch weld.
IMG_8109.jpg

Then it was time to cover up those scratches and holes
DSC_0001.JPG

Last edited:
With some monstaliner (Thanks to @jcardona1) it came out as such:
DSC_0008.JPG

And just before the monstaliner I threw in some Corbeau Trailcat seats along with a Tuffy center console. The stock driver seat had a tear, recline knob broke off, and the seat just didn't go back far enough for me. I hated the stock center console so it was an easy decision.
DSC_0015.JPG

Last edited:
One of the things I thought was a horrible design on these 80 series was the exhaust being run outside the frame, and the cats being the lowest hanging point on the truck (minus the links/axles etc.). So I had it rerouted inside the frame with a delta 50 muffler dumped before the axle
IMG_8162.jpg

In the mean time my coil overs came
IMG_8227.jpg

And I picked up some Dobinson 3" variable rate coils for the rear!
IMG_8209.jpg

So after wasting about a month and a half now with my fabricator that I originally planned on using not responding to me, I am now going to a different shop that has done many SASs, won many awards for their rock crawling builds etc.. and with the current tires leaking air/I really wanted to be able to at least drive the cruiser, I picked up some OME J springs for the front from Torfab
And thanks again to @Apounder we got to work putting them in
IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

And tadah!
IMG_8240.jpg

Got tired of the brolean after about 20 seconds of laughing at how ridiculous it looked so we threw in the rear!
IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

And just like that im now running 40's
IMG_8244.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg

And this is about where im at for right now! It drives great on the road, tires don't rub, and 3 link front is happening in mid October. Until then Ill be getting the electrical done, and hopefully bumpers/sliders.

Nice. Cool to see more people going this route with the 80s. I like those lights you guys have too. Lots of vision x floating around the gold mines here so I bought a few, it'd be fun to compare, those look rowdy.

That 80 is looking good! You'll love the trail graps too. Best tires I've ever had.

Nice. Cool to see more people going this route with the 80s. I like those lights you guys have too. Lots of vision x floating around the gold mines here so I bought a few, it'd be fun to compare, those look rowdy.

That 80 is looking good! You'll love the trail graps too. Best tires I've ever had.
I can't wait to get the lights back on! I have a lot of work left on this one but those lights make a huge difference. I haven't had them next to any vision x so it would be interesting to see!

Do you have more information about those seats? How did they bolt up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom