Normally Lost - Need GPS/Maps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am often out in the Owyhee's, on West Mountain etc etc lost trying to use a paper map/DeLorme Book to figure out where I am at.
I have my Garmin GPS but it does not have a large enough screen to be of much use or I have my standard Garmin GPS that shows that I am way off any road.
I often go home and trace where I went on Google Earth.
Is there a way to have google Earth on a tablet of some sort with GPS location so I can see where I am at to find a track out without back tracking for most of the route?

I am not too tech savy but would really like a better way to find my way around with finer and more up to date detail than DeLorme provides..

Thoughts and suggestions

Thank you
Pat

I forgot to add that I normally don't have cell service so google earth would need to be already downloaded and the GPS function would need to be non-cell based.

I have had great experience with GAIA GPS on an ipad. I download the map for the area I am going to be in and works perfectly without cell. Another option is SCENICMAP, it will download on a tablet or phone so you never need to be on cell. the western US is one single download, not all the detail from GAIA but good enough to navigate.
Finally, if really concerned, the Garmin Explorer+ is what I use for satellite nav. The device can be used stand alone or paired to a phone/tablet for big screen navigation. I will also send text and small emails via satellite, great for emergencies or just to stay connected to a home base while way, way out of range.

Depends on your platform of choice. I use android devices, so have Backcountry Navigator on both phone and tablet (android based). Backcountry allows you to download areas of aerial/satellite imagery from Bing (Bing doesn't limit you vs google) and often the Bing imagery is better and/or more up to date. Once you have the area of interest downloaded, you're all set. No cell/wifi/etc connection needed. All works great offline.

Backcountry also supports various map source that include topo maps.

Any mapping program that you finally choose to use will require an investment in time to learn the various nuances and after a while you will be someone locked in to that choice unless you want to start the learning experience from scratch...

cheers,
george.

I have had great experience with GAIA GPS on an ipad. I download the map for the area I am going to be in and works perfectly without cell. Another option is SCENICMAP, it will download on a tablet or phone so you never need to be on cell. the western US is one single download, not all the detail from GAIA but good enough to navigate.
Finally, if really concerned, the Garmin Explorer+ is what I use for satellite nav. The device can be used stand alone or paired to a phone/tablet for big screen navigation. I will also send text and small emails via satellite, great for emergencies or just to stay connected to a home base while way, way out of range.
I have been trying to study the different options mentioned.
I am trying to better understand the Garmin Explorer + option.
Is this the InReach Garmin Explorer +?
Do I need a subscription in order to use it for navigation?
When paired to like an iPad are the maps just topo or satellite imagining as well?
I assume it works like a regular GPS showing current location on the paired iPad?
Can you zoom out a bit on the ipad and retain enough detail to navigate well.
That is one of the issues with my Garmin CSX60 I can't see enough of the area where I am at to effectively select a route without scrolling and panning all over the place and losing track of where I am at, started, and wanting to go...the screen is too small.

An iPad sized GPS would be great especially if it had the western US saved in google earth type satellite imagery that you can zoom in on with your location shown on the satellite imaging as you can often see existing trails back to main roads or find alternate routes if your path is blocked by slides or trees.

Is there something available off the shelf that will do all of the above?
I am not sure that I saw a satellite imaging program that uses satellite location to tell you where you are at, that can be zoomed down as far as Google Earth Pro...am I missing something?

It is getting close to Christmas and I would like to get a solution on my list :)

Thank you
Pat

Last week I got a "cheap" andoid tablet (Samsung A7, 64G, $199) to dedicate to navigating. I still love my iPad, but this other one I can also use in my fj43 and not worry about excessive dust.

Ipad and Samsung:
  • Garmin Earthmate, yes you need a subsctiption, this is a higher end decision. I have an inReach Explorer that paired to both ipad and samsung for satellite nav, texting, and email. This is pricey but I do go to many places where there is nothing but satellite to reach out.
    • Once you have an account, you download the Earthmate app to the tablet and sync it to your account on line.
    • Maps are downloaded into the storage of the device, why I got a 64G on the samsung. Storing the maps on an SD card was hit and miss for recalling the map, on the internal memory is immediate
    • Maps do not take a lot of space, and can have many different layers from full road maps, USGS topos, or full areial photo maps.
    • You can use the table stand alone, no need to bring the inReach every time if all you need to do is navigate. Internal GPS works perfeclty to find you
    • You can create routes or tracks on Garmin and send /share them to other mapping systems, like GaiaGPS
  • GaiaGPS, also need subscription, a less than Garmin, and you can download maps into memory just like Garmin.
    • Whereas garmin maps are preset (by State, for example), Gaia you get to select the area you want, then download.
    • Gaia has a ton of different layers to choose from as well, more than Garmin, but will take more storage memory
    • They do have the NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps as a layer, which I use a lot when on the east coast
    • Gaia works perfectly out of any cell range, just using the built in GPS
    • You can create routes or tracks on Gaia and send /share them to other mapping systems, like Garmin
Ipad:
  • ScenicMaps is the one you download all at once the US in 3 different sections. Has a lot of built in features like full road map, trails, topo, 3d.
    • The info on the map may not up to the latest realtime info
    • This maps will work perfectly just with the built in gps
    • For the price, it is a hell of peace of mind to have this maps always with you, on your iphone or ipad, in the event aliens attack and all other systems fail
    • You can create tracks and routes and export them too
Samsung (Android)
  • This device is new to me and I cant find ScenicMaps for Android, and the ones I found look like from a backroom store, sketchy as hell. But, I found Maps.me
    • This is a fully stand alone map system that uses the internal GPS
    • The app has a general US map, and downloads maps as you zoom in to see different areas.
    • You can control what maps are downloaded, but must do that with wifi prior to heading out. Once downloaded, you dont have to worry about it
    • These are mostly for driving on roads, not offroading, but the maps sizes do not take a lot of memory so I will use them as back up to everything else.

I used to love GAIA and had the subscription service so as not needing network serivce. Then I updated the app on the phone and a "bug" requiring me to login in each time I used it.....a major probelm lacking cell service in Death Valley (twice). I lost my tracks and way points, etc. GAIA relalized the problem and pushed another update which i did not get. They didn't flinch when I asked for my money back. I was ****ing pissed

Anyway, once you get the app functioning, I recommend not updating ahead of a trip (or at all IMO). IT is a good service otherwise. For me, though, I don't trust it.

Last edited:
That example is one reason I always have backups, down to paper maps, any software can get corrupted in my experience and then you are hosed . I go with Gaia primary, Garmin, ScenicMaps secondary. The whole US was about $15, easy decision for a one time cost for me, and it’s on both phone and tablet.
And if you can fit a Din2 radio in your truck, there are plenty of nav type head units that have pretty detailed maps or can read from SD card. The ones I have seen have all the forest roads and BLM tracks too.

I use Caltopo.com for laptop within a web browser. Shading relief, historic map layers, public lands, viewshed analysis. I'm unfamiliar with its Android app functions, but, I use it for mapping. I'll plot way points on it, and take that with me. I prefer to be independent from the phone when I'm out and about - I try to use it to get out of trouble, and rely on scouting the way, and/or plotting on paper before I go out. I've used Backcountry Navigator, and carry the app with me. I can't see the details on an LCD screen when I'm taking photos with the phone outside, so, I'm not going to struggle with that for something like navigation.

I was using GAIA while backpacking, primarily. My crew always has paper maps, and pics of the maps, but all the other devices are left at the trailhead. So much eaiser to refer to the phone than dig out the paper and try to figure out your location (off trail). I'll probably go back to it, as I love using the aerial photos in conjunction position plotting on the photo, a great tool. I just need to do GAIA's beta testing for them, then never update.

In addition to having paper maps, I use a Garmin Overland and a 10" Tablet with GAIA. GAIA is good setting up off road routes . I also have Earthmate loaded onto the tablet . Both require connection to the internet to D/L maps so some preplanning is needed. No off line navigation options.
The Garmin is completely offline capable. The Garmin can tell me where the nearest gas station, hospital is and how to get there. GAIA nor Earthmate can do that. My wife does the navigating and she can read a map so I'm lucky. Having different mapping systems is beneficial as most maps have different names for roads or show something the other map does not.
20211024_101017.jpg

I used a Nexus 7 w/gps and Gaia for a few years. I was recently gifted a Garmin "Overlander" and it is really nice, pairs up with my InReach. Easy to use.

I recently did a trip to Death Valley and used my Garmin GPSMap 66SR for most of my navigation. Before my trip I went onto the Garmin Explore website and setup each waypoint and route for my trip. Then synced my phone to my Explore account. Then synced the 66SR handheld to my phone. That basically set it up to have my phone talking to the GPS so they phone had a GPS signal when I had no cell service. The phone also told the GPS when to start navigating. I'm sure the same thing could be done with an ipad. The Garmin Explore app on my phone also lets me download all of the various map layers I thought I would need for the areas I would be.

So just another possible solution on top of all of the other apps out there. I'm not sure my option helps very much if you're not making your routes ahead of time.

I use a Garmin Overlander and GAIA. Prior to the trip , I enter the route(s) I want to take into the GAIA . The different map layers allow me to get different perspectives of the area.
The Overlander is a completely off grid navigation solution. The Overlander can give me directions to the nearest hospital or gas station where the GAIA cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom