NOOB - 200k mile 100 Series - buy or no? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked at a 200k mile 1999 LC. Drove really well. Quiet, firm... I was impressed. But, this is the first LC I've ever driven. Looking for something for my daughter to use at college and out of state. Reliability is biggest concern. I'm thinking it'll sell within a few days given the used car market.

Check out pics - what do you think? What's missing in the engine compartment / passenger side? Electrical connectors just hanging there.
Also - this is the worst of the rust on the frame. Concerning?

Just going to use it as a commuter, camping once in a while, no Moab/Overlanding.... for now.... :)

LC100 - 1.jpeg

LC100 - 2.jpeg

Depends on price. I got a 2002 LX 470 with 232k miles and every single maintenance record since car had 3 miles. No rust, everything works. Paid USD 9500 in December.
The space you see on the picture is where the Lexus has the hydraulic suspension tank what the Land Cruiser in certain years lacks.

If price in this one is good and that is all the rust go for it.

CR

An opinion from one of those "horrible" parents, that had no problem putting their kid in a 100 series, and has multiple LC/LX in the driveway...

Yes, it's a Land Cruiser, but it's still a ~22 year old vehicle with ~200k mi. Unless the previous owner was an exceptional enthusiast, there are probably going to be a bunch of little things, that should get some attention, before I'd send a kid off to school out of state in it.

The reason that my son is in a Land Cruiser, is that he loved driving my old LX (and I was too unreasonable about 500+hp first vehicles). If your daughter is looking for a "transportation appliance", a 22yo/200k mi vehicle may not be the best choice. If your daughter has some sort of emotional attachment to old Land Cruisers, they make great vehicles. When I was looking for my son's vehicle, I limited my search to 2000+ model years, because I wanted VSC/ATRAC (brake based electronic stability & traction control) on a vehicle that I was going to put my kid in.

Your rust picture is worse than anything in my fleet. By itself, it probably not that bad, but what other rust are you not seeing. As stated above, price (and location) is going to determine if it's acceptable.

Lol, an 22+ year old Cruiser as a reliable vehicle for your daughter? Say wha... Your #1 concern is reliability, but you're looking at a vehicle thats probably older than your daughter? Do you have deep pockets for all they all need unless it was owned by a Cruiser nut?

You're far better off getting her a Hyundai/Kia/Toyota, basically any other car that is made in the past 8 years than a 1999 Land Cruiser with 200k miles. Sure these are dependable and reliable when they're owned by enthusiasts, but it comes at a high cost of upkeep.

Look elsewhere, a 99 Cruiser with 200k+ isn't the answer. I'm not trying to gatekeep anyone but I can assure you if reliability is your #1, + this car is for your college daughter, + you're not a Cruiser enthusiast whos going to be wrenching on it yourself, you're severely going to be disappointed.

Also, word of advice if it were my kid. Look for a vehicle with traction control. I wouldn't put my kid ever in a daily without it.

Based on that picture, you could put a hammer to the spot lightly, and it would go through. A lot of 100s have that spot in regions where it has a lot of snow or rainfall. Its a closed frame so crud builds and rusts from the inside out because theres no drain there.

Last edited:
Connections are for the AHC system. Not sure if it was originally factory on the vehicle as I drive an LX myself which it comes stock. I would take a few more pics of the suspension behind the wheels ( anything rubber). Also any more pictures of the frame. Timing belt records of changing or lack thereof. Again, end results depend on how self sufficient said child is on wrenching and or how big your pockets are to let her pay someone to repair things.

I'm going to go against the previous answers and say that yes, they are super reliable and I'd gladly put my kid in one when they go off to college in a couple years. BUT, we need to know the rest of the story if you want accurate recommendations.

1) Price? This is the biggest as it dictates the answers to the rest of the questions. Cheap price leaves money to get it baselined.

2) Maintenance? Is it up to date on all items including timing belt / water pump? If EVERYTHING is up to date, the cruiser will be more reliable than any other sub $10k vehicle on the road.

3) Who is the primary mechanic? Are you doing the work yourself or will you be paying someone? If you're the wrench, then it's much easier to keep on top of things so she doesn't get stranded. It also defers most of the cost.

4) Is your daughter "in tune" with the vehicle she is driving? Can she tell if the vehicle is starting to have an issue? I had a very slight growl when turning left over 30mph. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed it. But I picked up on it as it was a new noise / vibration. I ordered two front wheel bearing kits and replaced the right front bearing when it was convenient. In the meantime, I still drove the cruiser, I just took it easy and didn't go far from home. Being in tune with the vehicle helps keep you from getting stranded as you'll find the issues before get really bad. If she is completely unaware of what the vehicle is doing, something newer might be a better option.

5) Rust? If that's all there really is, that's easily fixed and not a major concern. The engine bay doesn't appear to have rusty bolts so that's usually a good indicator that it's relatively clean.

All of that being said, it may be a perfect vehicle for her if everything else adds up. If the price is right, and all maintenance is up to date, I would gladly put my daughter in it. Yes, traction control would be nice but if she won't be driving in snow much, it's not a deal breaker. Put some good studded winter tires on it and it will be fine. I purchased my 2005 with 131k miles on it in 2018 and I now have 178k miles on it. I've had to replace the rear axle seal and a front wheel bearing. Both issues I noticed early on and I was able to fix them at my convenience. We just took it on a 1,000+ mile road trip with the kids, leaving a 2017 GX with 50k miles and a 2014 Wrangler with 95k miles at home. Reliability is not the issue, lack of maintenance is.

Thanks for the advice. I think if I had more time to check it out, read up on things, we'd probably be more apt to jump on it. She's working out of state for the summer, and leaving in 2 weeks, and I'm busy at work. Probably not in the cards at this point. Seller asking $12k. I was thinking if it were $8k, then maybe we'd take a shot and buy it.

I do basic work on my cars (oil/brakes/misc), but she's not emotionally jonesing for a LC. She actually wants a Tacoma. Those things go for so much $$$, that the LC looks a bit like a bargain! I'm the one that's more jonesing for a Land Cruiser...

We'll probably keep looking.

The money you spend on a Tacoma will probably be worth it after she's calling you because the truck won't start (immobilizer) or the heater T-s busted and she didn't notice and overheated it, or a coil pack goes out. If she's out of town at college that means it ends up in the shop (time + money)

An LC/LX of that age is an enthusiasts car not a young college students car away from home IMO. If she's not a Land Cruiser nut she will probably get annoyed with it eventually, and you will get annoyed with having to pay people to fix little things you wouldn't have minded fixing in your driveway for really cheap. These old things are reliable, but not reliable like most people think. You can't set it and forget it at 20+ years old, which you could probably do with a late 2000's Tacoma if it hasn't been abused.

I figured I'd update this thread. Found a nice baby Land Cruiser for sale, made a quick deal, picked it up today, The whole family helped wash and wax it, change the oil and filters, and get it ready to go! 2009 GX 470 with 150k.

gx470 - 1.jpeg

You're better off getting her a corolla or a 4runner if reliability is the main concern.

Let me clarify.... Reliability of a 200,000 mile LC is the main concern. Corolla/Camry/Accord isn't something we want, so if I can get this GX to run relatively reliable, that's good. I've driven BMWs for 20+ years, so I'm fairly good at keeping things running, even those BMWs!

The key question, is your daughter happy with it?

To the majority of folks not in this forum, the LX is just a much more expensive flavor of the GX.

We forgive them for these sins.

Wife and daughter drove the GX 1000 miles the day after we bought it. No problems, quiet and comfortable. Hooked up the boat, and it tows it very well. We are at the limit of towing with this boat/trailer combo, but only tow from the storage yard via backroad to the boat ramp. If we had to tow long distances, I think a truck would be better. That being said, the leveling air bags make about a 6" change in rear ride height, so that's great. No squat:

gx470boat - 1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom