Non-toyota alternators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about just replace the brush for $5 or whatever?

Seems like a bearing should be easy to replace. Anyway, you don't want to go too high on the output on the alternator, or you end up burning some of those puny Cruiser wires. Either that or you have to replace the ammeter and the wiring if you do go heavier duty.

I don't think a reman OEM alt is very spendy, last I check its was under $100 for one for my 86 and earlier Cruisers. I would not buy a OEM alt that has been rewound to make more amps, I had one and it never worked worth a crap.

GM alt is OK

Mean Green for $300(I'm putting one on my fj60 this week, but have redone the alt wiring)

I got mine rebuilt (1971) for less than 80$ can. Good job , done in one day... It's to easy to look for something else, and I can hope it will last another 32 years :D

Oh I'm guessing it was about 1991 when my alt went in my 84 toy 4X PU. Went to Peep Boys and bought a reman alt and new IC reg. That POS in short order fried every flippin electrical component I had...radio, relays, coil, ignitor, sensors, comp, etc....everything right down to the tail light bulbs. :mad: Most expensive...even getting all the spendy bits out of a bone yard. Ended up putting genuine toyota reman from the dealer in. When the 62's alt went down a few years later..I bit the bullet and paid the dealer for a toyota official reman unit. Installed it and no problems. Both toyota reman units are still working fine today.

FWIW

Recently replaced the alt in my FJ62 with a Toyota unit from CCOT. The windings were pretty burnt on the original. Decided to avoid the hi-amp route due to low output at low rpm's and limited availability. GM retrofit not an easy option on 62's - you may have more room in an earlier cruiser. Have heard LOTS of horror stories with rewound alternators and cheap rebuilts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom