Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a set of 275/70R18 load rating E Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 studded winter tires installed on a set of old steelies today. I have been running Nitto Exo Grapplers and have been impressed with how well they perform in most winter conditions except when it gets icy or in a few inches deep snow. Ran into a couple of dicey situations but otherwise pretty solid performance. For the safety of my family and vehicle, I decided to shell out the bucks for a set of dedicated winter tires.

The steelies don’t look too bad:
p4083932306-5.jpg

p4083932266-5.jpg

Will report how they perform here in this thread for reference.

@gaijin
Would you please advise the correct cold PSI for these tires?
275/70R18 load rating E Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3
Thanks in advance!

What wheels are those?

@gaijin
Thanks in advance!

I assume you are asking for use on your 2020 LC200, right?

The RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those LT275/70R18 125/122Q tires on your LC200 is 41psi F/R.

HTH

Nice purchase! I just purchased the studless version a couple of days ago in the exact same size (41 psi fwiw per @gaijin - not sure if studded changes that however) and will comment that these LT3s have already proven themselves far superior to KO2s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in snow. Yes, I realize the LT3s should perform better in snow over M&S rated ATs, but to the extent how much better is very impressive.

edit: Gaijin just beat me to this post!

Last edited:
@gaijin
Thanks in advance!

I would be surprised if your LT275/70R18 125/122Q "Hakka" LT3 tires would have a different RCTIP than any other LT275/70R18 125/122 tire on a LC200.

125/122 refers to the load rating of the tire. 125 denotes that each tire can carry 3640 pounds at the maximum inflation pressure. The second number (122) refers to the load rating on a single tire used in a dual rear wheel application. “Q” refers to your tire’s speed rating.

1607851956847.png

Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 - Peace of mind for winter work / Nokian Tires

@gaijin recommended a RCTIP of 41psi for BFG KO2 LT275/70R18 125/122R load range E tires on a LC200.

Tire Pressure BFG KO2's

1607848240005.png

Thanks for sharing this. I just put on my 3 year old 285/60 R18 Hakka R2 SUV tires so those will work for this year. And these new LT3s don’t appear to come in that size at the moment. Maybe they will next year. It would be nice to have E-rated tires when towing (though my towing is very limited in the winter.) If they don’t come out with a 285/565R18 model next year I may consider a second set of wheels. Makes the change over easier. But I can barely stack my “summer” KO2s in that size due to their weight. I can’t imagine how I would to it if they were on wheels!

Nice purchase! I just purchased the studless version a couple of days ago in the exact same size (41 psi fwiw per @gaijin - not sure if studded changes that however) and will comment that these LT3s have already proven themselves far superior to KO2s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in snow. Yes, I realize the LT3s should perform better in snow over M&S rated ATs, but to the extent how much better is very impressive.

Keep us posted on the performance of the 'studless' version (Product Code T430959). It's interesting that the 'studless' version of the "Hakka LT3" tire is not shown at

but is in the Nokian Product Guide

https://dc602r66yb2n9.cloudfront.ne...ers/pricelists/NT_US_Product_guide_Winter.pdf

I got to believe that any Nokian dedicated winter tire would be superior to my KO2s in snow. This will be my fifth winter on a set of non-studded 275/65R18 116R "Hakka R2 SUV" tires and I will probably switch to the non-studded "Hakka LT3" next season for a more aggressive tread pattern. Of course, the non-studded "Hakka R3 SUV" (replacement for the non-studded "Hakka R2 SUV", now discontinued) is an alternative to be considered for anyone that does not want/need a 10-ply (Load Range E) winter tire for their LC200. The "Hakka R3 SUV" is not available in a 275/70R18 tire size.

It isn’t hard to turn a studed tire into a stud less tire. . .
the wheels are standard tundra 18” Steelies. Available all day long for about $70 each. Weigh around 35 lb.

Keep us posted on the performance of the 'studless' version (Product Code T430959). It's interesting that the 'studless' version of the "Hakka LT3" tire is not shown at

but is in the Nokian Product Guide

https://dc602r66yb2n9.cloudfront.ne...ers/pricelists/NT_US_Product_guide_Winter.pdf

I got to believe that any Nokian dedicated winter tire would be superior to my KO2s in snow. This will be my fifth winter on a set of non-studded 275/65R18 116R "Hakka R2 SUV" tires and I will probably switch to the non-studded "Hakka LT3" next season for a more aggressive tread pattern. Of course, the non-studded "Hakka R3 SUV" (replacement for the non-studded "Hakka R2 SUV", now discontinued) is an alternative to be considered for anyone that does not want/need a 10-ply (Load Range E) winter tire for their LC200. The "Hakka R3 SUV" is not available in a 275/70R18 tire size.
Will do.
With my build, added weight, etc I wanted the E rated tire. And the size was - admittedly - more in line visually and the LT3 were the only tire I found that fit the bill. Didn’t hurt that Nokian’s are already regarded as top of line in this category!

Just driving around my neighborhood after last night’s 2-3” snow has validated this purchase already. Grip while accelerating forward was by far the biggest surprise - was hard pressed to break all four and spin like I could with my Nitto’s (and fwiw my 4.88 gear swap) - like a pseudo “launch mode” if I can make such bold claim?

Breaking also vastly improved but I expected that.

And cornering also a huge improvement. While I could still get some Tokyo drift action to occur with the LT3s, there was still grip while sliding if that makes sense? Before, on my Nittos and KO2s, turning would break much earlier and felt like a much slicker slide / drift than the LT3s feel.

I’ll be watching Craigslist for some tundra take-offs to aide in the seasonal swap.

Thanks for sharing this. I just put on my 3 year old 285/60 R18 Hakka R2 SUV tires so those will work for this year. And these new LT3s don’t appear to come in that size at the moment. Maybe they will next year. It would be nice to have E-rated tires when towing (though my towing is very limited in the winter.) If they don’t come out with a 285/565R18 model next year I may consider a second set of wheels. Makes the change over easier. But I can barely stack my “summer” KO2s in that size due to their weight. I can’t imagine how I would to it if they were on wheels!

Unless you need a load index of 125 (3640 lbs), you may want to check out the "Hakka LT3" LT275/65R18 123/120Q tire which also has an 'E' (10 ply) load rating.

Personally, I prefer a narrower winter tire which is why I purchased 275/65R18 116R "Hakka R2" tires vs 285/60R18 116R "Hakka R2" tires. Next year, with my build, I will order a set of LT275/70R18 125/122Q "Hakka LT3" tires.

Note: I purchased my "Hakka R2" winter tires in 2015 when my LC200 was stock. If my LC200 was still stock, it would be a tough decision between "Hakka R3 SUV" 275/65R18 116R tires and non-studded "Hakka LT3" LT275/65R18 123/120Q tires. Ride Comfort vs More Aggressive Tread.

1607890175395.png

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Narrower For Winter

1607889894598.png

1607889856335.png

Last edited:
I assume you are asking for use on your 2020 LC200, right?

The RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those LT275/70R18 125/122Q tires on your LC200 is 41psi F/R.

HTH

Thank you, kind sir!
Yes, it's for my LC200. I will inflate to 41psi.

What wheels are those?

These are just Tundra steelies I picked up the buy/sell section a few weeks ago.
They were silver, so I got them powder coated to mat black. Will do the trick for the winter months.
p4084647005-5.jpg

Last edited:
Put on ~250 miles on these today. Got some snow last night and temperatures were frigid with negative 5 degrees Fahrenheit in one spot.
p4084707895-5.jpg

Tires handled very very well, just as expected in some snowy and icy conditions over Berthoud Pass and the western section of Rocky Mountain National Park. Very glad the tires came in yesterday. Nitto EXOs are good but not this good in wintery conditions. These are very confidence inspiring with lots of grip in turns.
p4084646947-5.jpg

p4084646942-5.jpg

Last edited:
On thing I noticed, even though both Nitto Exo Grapplers and these Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3s are E rated, Nitto's feel stiffer than the Hakkas.
May be its the compound being softer or maybe the E rating means different things to different manufacturers.
In any case, I am quite happy with both sets of tires for how they perform for their intended usage.

You basically have the best winter tires on the market. And you went from Ridge Grapplers to Hakkas? You basically went from like a Nissan Versa to a Porsche 911 Turbo in terms of winter performance on a tire. The snowflake ratings don't mean much anymore like the KO2s but the Hakka is the absolute best you can get for studded and non studded. The difference you wouldve felt from the Nittos to KO2s would be marginal, but this step up is giant. Nice choice on the Hakkas. Did you need LT though? If not towing or hauling, I probably would've went with the R3 in a P265/70/18.

Unless you need a load index of 125 (3640 lbs), you may want to check out the "Hakka LT3" LT275/65R18 123/120Q tire which also has an 'E' (10 ply) load rating.

Personally, I prefer a narrower winter tire which is why I purchased 275/65R18 116R "Hakka R2" tires vs 285/60R18 116R "Hakka R2" tires. Next year, with my build, I will order a set of LT275/70R18 125/122Q "Hakka LT3" tires.

Note: I purchased my "Hakka R2" winter tires in 2015 when my LC200 was stock. If my LC200 was still stock, it would be a tough decision between "Hakka R3 SUV" 275/65R18 116R tires and non-studded "Hakka LT3" LT275/65R18 123/120Q tires. Ride Comfort vs More Aggressive Tread.

View attachment 2523713

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Narrower For Winter

View attachment 2523709

View attachment 2523708

Thanks, @elkeye! That is good thinking. I was wondering about doing something like that but hadn’t looked into the availability of said LT3’s. And thanks for providing the chart! Looking at the chart the 275/70s look to be a bit taller than my 285/65 KO2s? Yet being narrower they would still fit with any issues? Makes me wonder if my next set of KO2s should also be 275/70R18s (if those exist - haven’t actually looked at regular tires for a couple of years now). My truck runs about 6700# for regular driving. When we tow the trailer adds about 700# of tongue weight.

@jamgolf, as for driving in cold weather, I actually preferred driving in the very cold (and dry) weather of Colorado (lived there 32 year) than what we have here in Bend, OR where it is more common to see temps hovering right around freezing and more humidity leading to black ice and packed ice roads. (They also don’t like to put anything on the road to facilitate melting). And they have a LOT of traffic circles here.

Actually I have the Nitto Exo Grapplers (not Ridge Grapplers). They are 3 mountain peak snow flake rated like some other all seasons but actually they are much better in snow/ice than what I expected. I drove on them in snow and ice multiple times and was impressed with how they performed. But yes the cornering grip was not good and I had a couple of dicey experiences in icy conditions. As we know, even one minor incident would pay for the cost of winter tires,

Studded Hakkas are among the very best, as you said, and are at a different performance level altogether. Very very confidence inspiring.

Dan, yes certainly you are right about the dry weather here compared to what you experience in Oregon. And if I recall Oregon does not allow for studded tires. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom