Noisy new tranny?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drove a very nice FJ62 today that is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for, with one mysterious and scary exception:

It has a NEW (a little over one year old) transmission that makes a real solid THUNK when you shift in or out of reverse. The owner said they had it checked out by a Toyota dealer and "they said it was fine." What do y'all think is going on with this new tranny that sounds like it's dying?

hubris

Guess that I would look at the rear u-joints and diff before I start blaming the trans, hell it could be the t-case too, but you would think that if anything looked questionable when they swapped the trans, that it would have been addressed at that time, but then again, who knows, it is a used truck...

Verify that you have gear oil in the rear axle, and no visible leaks, or past leaks there, and that there is not any slop with the pinion bearings/diff. carrier, as this will also clunk.

Verify that the slip-stub section of the drive shaft is not shot, and have slop in it, as this can also cause a clunk.

Verify that the rear driveshaft is attached to the transfer case, and rear diff companion flange, and that the bolts are not loose, and then look at the u-joints, verify that there is not any slop in them, as these can also cause a clunk.

Good luck!

-Steve

In addition to what steve said is it a new or rebuilt tranny? If it rebuilt then the output shaft might be worn and not replaced. Only way to really know for sure is to pull the case and look at it. Rule out all other causes. One thing you could try is to drop the RR shaft and see if it still clunks. If it does then it is the output shaft.

You can live with the clunk for a long time.

My 4 spd j40 case makes a good clunk everytime I shift into reverse. Always has, for 8 years, and hasn't gotten worse. I always assumed this was normal. It sounds to me like the gears are lining up, cause if I do it really slowly it still makes the clunk, just a bit quiter. My clunk is obvious to all in the truck or around it, but isn't incredibly loud.

My 62 did this also even after a rebuild on the tranny. I checked the driveline on mine like Steve suggested, but found no issues. I learned to live with it, but verify Steve's thoughts first.

One of the problems w/ the A440 tranny is the relatively short area that the tranny output splines mesh w/ the TC input gear. If this is your problem, eventually the tranny out-put shaft will have to be replaced (part $500) or one of the McNamara adptors installed. The adaptor takes the place of the PTO out-put gear and increased the face area of the tranny/TC spline mesh. Chances are that even though the tranny was rebuilt they did not address the worn splines on the out-put shaft; especially if they didn't seperate the TC from the tranny when they serviced it. You'll get clunks when shifting from N to D or R until the splines wear through and then your SOL.

http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/driveshaft1.html

Ming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom