No Warns or Asian WTF ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
School me here. I was looking at a set of axles today from a 70 fj40 and I noticed it didn't have the manual locks. So what gives ?

We called them drive flanges in the rover community. I keep a couple in the spare parts bin to use in the event of a lock-out failure on the trail.

Did it just have the drive flanges? I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) many of the earlier cruisers did not come from the factory with manual hubs, aftermarket hubs such as Warn or Selctro were added later.

I thought that was stock, and the manual selectable hub locks were after market dealership add-ons?

Drive plates were stock and dealers added selectro's or others. common after market was warn. There are no Asian's with course spline

Hi All:

Yep, the front axles were always turning while driving. Lock-out hubs are meant to isolate the front axle to prevent wear on the parts and reduce drag in the hope of improving fuel mileage.

The first factory Aisin manual lock-out hubs were seen in the USA on the 1976 FJ55 IIRC.

Regards,

Alan

There are no Asian's with course spline
Eau contraire. ;p I had a DeLuxe 1974 FJ55 that came factory with forged steel ASCO hubs. Truck is long gone (may he Rust In Pieces) but I still have those hubs. Too cool to send to the melter.

They do not look like the 78-later stainless steel ASCO hubs we all know & love, but they definitely are ASCOs.

My Nissan safari (patrol) is a base model. No manual hubs= engaged full time.

Honestly other than a slight decrease in gas mileage I don't see the reason for manual locking hubs. In my case rarely using the highway I'm glad to have a bullet-proof never need to touch it type of set up.

So.. if they are lockout plates and you do end up with them and want to sell them....

pete

My 1976 and 1980 came both with drive flange, so i bougth a set of Warn locking hub, but i'm thinking about going back to drive flange. Every time i go out wheeling, i came back with a busted hub caps.

Eau contraire. ;p I had a DeLuxe 1974 FJ55 that came factory with forged steel ASCO hubs. Truck is long gone (may he Rust In Pieces) but I still have those hubs. Too cool to send to the melter.

They do not look like the 78-later stainless steel ASCO hubs we all know & love, but they definitely are ASCOs.

Let's see some pics. I've never see a course spline in either of those. talk about rare.

My 1976 and 1980 came both with drive flange, so i bougth a set of Warn locking hub, but i'm thinking about going back to drive flange. Every time i go out wheeling, i came back with a busted hub caps.

Swap to Asian hubs, they are shorter. I have some rock rash but have never damaged one.

I have lockout hubs to put on, but I am thinking I like to not have to hop out to engage 4 wheel drive, and I don't plan on this being a commuter.

More pics

The hubs are serial numbered like the ASCO transfer cases:
3=year =1973
K=12th letter=12th month=Dec.
034= the 34th hub made that month. Note that there are only 3 digits, seeming to indicate they planned to make less than 999 hubs in a month.

Is this something I should put on ebay for $.99 to get off my shelf? I figgered they were worthless, but if there is any interest, I'll list them.
DSC07167.jpg
DSC07169.jpg
DSC07168.jpg

I took a pair of those off a '72 Pig. Destroyed one trying to figure out how they worked. Gave the survivor to somebody restoring an old Pig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom