No trailer electric (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to tow a trailer last night and found out I had no electric to the trailer. PO said he towed on occasion and had installed a brake controller.

I have not had a chance to troubleshoot but was curious to know if the trailer wires run down driver or passenger side? Any junctions anywhere like under steering wheel or in glove box near ecu?

I did quickly check the fuses and did find one fuse blown - Trailer Brake was it's name. Replaced that but still no luck.

Hoping to dig into it this weekend but wanted to see if there were any common points of failure that I should look into to help save me some time...

look in the left rear taillight on the body side not the gate. take out the light see if the trailer wires has been cut i seen a few cut how i dont know

awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Just needed a couple ideas to target my troubleshooting. Will look into those 2 areas in the next couple days and report back...

Isn't there a plug somewhere between the muffler and spare tires. I can't see in this location on my truck due to the aux tank I have installed in place of the spare.

My source for this is - http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Lexus/LX+470/1998/118365.html?vehicleid=19988018 - watch the video towards the bottom of the page.

Yes on the cross member above the spare tire there is a converter box that frequently goes bad. Just had mine crap out before a 14 day trip towing a trailer lol. I've had to work out kinks with trailer lights on almost every Toyota I've owned, and that's not a short list.

Depends on the year. Helpful to add to your signature.

My '98 came with just the plug in the right rear area near the muffler. I bought an aftermarket converter box for $15. If you find everything to the plug working and the converter is bad, at least the replacement is dirt cheap.

Sig updated with year. It's a 2004.

I'll be troubleshooting Saturday. Hope it's something quickly identifiable.

Your 2004 is pre-wired for the brake controller but does not come with one. Do you see a brake controller anywhere? The plug and play connector is located behind the driver's knee panel. Follow the ignition switch wire bundle to find it.

Plugged everything in to start troubleshooting and I notice an issue with the ground wire going from truck plug to trailer plug. Fixed that and using a test light, I was able to get constant power at pin1, pin 2 blinked on and off when I had turn signal on, pin 3 same. I think at this point my issues are resolved but I haven't plugged into a trailer to make 100% sure. Hoping to do that this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom