No Reverse in A343F, help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the trans in my cruiser due to a baddly slipping 1-2 shift with a used one from Cruiserparts.net . STHH 30k on it and worked when removed. This isn't bashing yet just need to get the thing fixed.
Once installed, fluid level checked, kickdown cable adjusted, and linkage adjusted, all seem to be correct. I went for a test drive, Put the thing in R and didn't move, no clunk as if it put a load on the engine, zero, zip, didn't move. Put it in D and it put a load on the engine and move the rig at idle.
Pushed the rig out and went for a drive forward around the block, D worked great, OD and all. came back for a 2nd fluid check and see WTF was up with Reverse, still didn't work, engine could be reved to the max and no movement. Tried to adjust the cable thinking that it was a line pressure issue, no workie, removed the shift linkge and manualy selected R from underneath, could see the drivelines take the slop out of the pinion but still won't move. The rig can be pushed in R so it isn't in P. I have called the guys that sold me the trans and we are trying to figure it out. If I had a FSM for the A343F it would be a 2nd set of eyes on the problem. The vehicle FSM describes a brief trouble shooting for it and tells that the P-R-N are all mechanical, not electrical. I did a quick search and found the TSB for a chattering reverse, I would be happier with the chatter, but nothing in R has me thinking it is fatal.

Does anyone have any thoughts etc? besides the you need a A442F...?

I don't have a pressure gauge to check line pressure, maybe I should. Thanks

Have James send you another one.

Hoping that it doeesn't involve another R&R, doing it on the ground was one of the hardest things that I have had to do to my rig. Hopefully it won't involve that, but if it does that's the story.

did you buy the both forward and reverse gears trans? you didn't buy the one on sale, didja? :D

I just bought the reverse trans, that way I could back away from anything!
And hoping that I could always go back in time!

If your given the A442F away I'll take it.:flipoff2:

I rebuilt my A440F and know the internals for it, but not the 343. Although they do look pretty similar internally.

However, after looking at the A343F on EPC, here are some of my thoughts.

- If your rig is a '95, did you put a 343 in it? Cause from what EPC details out an A442 should be used for a '95.

- The 343 has 2 line pressure control solenoid assemblies. One could be for reverse and bad.

I would consider a solenoid problem. A single solenoid failure can cause a 442 to refuse to engage D. Does the regular FSM identify which solenoids control reverse? I would consider removing and cleaning them.

I would also check for a TCM tranny error code. not sure how they work on a 95 but I assume it's in your regular FSM. On a 93-94 the manual tells you how to pull them using the o/d light.

jklubens, the 95-97 north american model has a 343. the rest of the world kept the 442F due to the shortage of malls and gated communities in other continents where the 343 really struts its stuff :D.

Semlin,
Thanks for the education.

To change out a solenoid should not be diffecult at all.

Used parts can be a gamble.

I rolled and lost. Bad day in Vegas... I will check on the FSM for removal of codes, yet it doesn't flash or have a check light on. Guess that I won't be going to the mall today. Does anyone have a FSM for the Trans?, maybe they could help out, guess that I should call ya Dan.

cruiserdan said:
Used parts can be a gamble.
Rainy Day FZJ said:
I rolled and lost. Bad day in Vegas... I will check on the FSM for removal of codes, yet it doesn't flash or have a check light on. Guess that I won't be going to the mall today. Does anyone have a FSM for the Trans?, maybe
they could help out, guess that I should call ya Dan.

DANG! this guy is good-what a plug. Always there for the subtleties. :D :flipoff2:

Domino on the solenoid...

Well I gues that I better remove the ones from my "old" trans that worked, and put them in the "new" trans that doesn't work. Any who I know that those "used" parts work! How's that for a plug? I will post up once completed.

Closing the loop. Solenoids didn't change anything. Had to replace transmission with another used one from cruiserparts. The new one came missing the torque converter. So somewhere in UPS land is a converter.

Vehicle is long gone. But it worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom