No charging - occationally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a LC 100 99 model with 450 000 km.
Last week I started to experience problem with charging - for several hours - no charging emptying batteries with no charge lamp.
I bought a voltmeter for the lighter port to closely monitor the voltage as my garasje have not been able to fic it.
Symptoms is that I drain the batteries from 12V and downwards until 9V as I have been down to.
Then suddenly - when running at rough roads - it started to charge again at 13,5 V.
It did that for about 200 km - when I had it at the garage where they found no problems - but changed the belts.
I picked it up - and it started to drain the batteries again after 200km for around 300 km - and then it started to charge at 13,5 V again.
Another symptom when I started today was that the two brand new belts started to make noise and smell rubber.

I suspect the alternator, and my garage says either a broken wire - unstable - or brushes inside the alternator.

Anybody have some troubleshooting adived before i byd a new alternator and replace it?

Just throw in a brush kit (OEM). Also good time to install the wire pin connector as these are pretty brittle and will break upon removal.

Just throw in a brush kit (OEM). Also good time to install the wire pin connector as these are pretty brittle and will break upon removal.
The generator has worked well for a week and 500 miles now - charging at 13.8V pluss / minus. You think a brush kit is the solution? Is it a video somewhere of how to dismount the alternator? It seems to be hidden behind stuff and I need to know how the best way to access it is. I also consider buying a new alternator and keep in my LC 100 in case the charging stops working again. Which connector is the problem? On the harness, on the alternator or inside the alternator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom