No air filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I suspect a dim question but I removed the air filter cover (butterfly nut undone, black dinner plate size cover removed) after some dusty driving last week to find no air filter in there (I am talking about the circular filter insert that every other vehicle I have ever had has had). I recently bought the vehicle (79 series) and they fitted a snorkel for me before I picked it up. This is my first LC.

So my questions are,

1. Is there meant to be a filter insert in there? At present it is just an empty void.

2. I am suspecting during the fitting of the snorkel someone forgot to put the filter back in. Thoughts?

3. Or am I just being an utter novice and missing something?

Let me know your thoughts

Horatio

No you are right, as far as my knowledge goes there should be a filter in there.
The snorkel does not replaces the filter just the air intake.
I would go back to the fitment centre and take it up with them, because if you would travel on dirt roads there could be dust going straight threw now..

Skollie,

This is what even my small brain thought. It just seemed wrong to me. A sort of WTF? moment as I took the top off. I shall get a filter in there straight away unless anyone else comes on here and tells me otherwise.

Horatio

Glad I could give an input, but go back to the fitment centre and throw some toys around because that is negligence in my book!!!
Good luck...

Depending of the engine model the air filter is not disposable, my 70 series (1FZ-F) have a 80.000kms air filter that must be cleaned every 5000 to 10000kms, so do some research and accept only a original filter as a replacement, because at least where I live they are expensive.

DO NOT run the engine in any environment "clean" or dusty without the air filter.

Question

Hey Horatio, one question???

The snorkel they put on by any chance has a round top (tip of the snorkel) or it is the regular Safari type with just an inlet on it?

Because some snorkels for 70 series used to come with a round top where a small high flow filter is ussually located and for that reason you won't need the factory one.

If not, I agree they forgot to put it on and put one ASAP.:wrench:

buy a factory toyota or a wix from napa or something.

K and N filters suck.

they are nice for "high performance" because they flow a lot of air. The tradeoff is that they allow larger dust particles through.

Mark...

Hey Horatio, one question???

The snorkel they put on by any chance has a round top (tip of the snorkel) or it is the regular Safari type with just an inlet on it?

Because some snorkels for 70 series used to come with a round top where a small high flow filter is ussually located and for that reason you won't need the factory one.

If not, I agree they forgot to put it on and put one ASAP.:wrench:

A filter top is meant for additional "pre-filtering", not to replace the OEM filter under the hood.

Mark...

This is a nice tread, very informing...
I never ever wanna drive without a airfilter!
Several years ago i have driven for about 4 weeks in to de sahara in Libiya and we had pre filters and normal filters, pre-pre feul filter, a pre feulfilter and the original feulfilter , and stil we had orange silt in the engine afterworths...
Amazing where it can come!!!
But it was with a Mercedes Unimog...

I use my k&n in the winter and
a std yota filter in the dusty summer

The snorkel has just an inlet. I am convinced some dimwit made a balls up somewhere and forgot to put the filter back in. Nice move. So I was all set for a KN and then the news that they may not be so cool.

Ultimately I drive the thing in South Africa and surrounding countries and have no interest in 'performance enhancement' if it is at the cost of getting dust in there. I get hit by a lot of dust. Suspect a standard air filter will do the job. lest face it it's better than 'no filter' which I am using at the moment. Thoughts?

You can ram the K&N the price they are asking down here. Think I will stick with a standard Toyota filter. Thanks for everyones comments and pointers. I hate to think what else I will find missing. The wagon has been hammered around South Africa and Lesotho so far and the only hitch has been a slightly dodgy starter motor at times (did the 'click' and nothing more a few times) but I shall have a good sniff around over the weekend looking for other oversights. African mechanics - awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom