NM waterfalls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
'Little Chasm' on the Rio en Medio
IMG_20191110_104716.jpg

Just upstream, more like a waterslide, and yes, during summer a long time ago, I rode it.
IMG_20191110_115738.jpg

Little Tesuque
IMG_20191117_124707.jpg

same as above
IMG_20191117_105817.jpg

lower Big Tesuque (yesterday)
IMG_20200510_115608.jpg

These are awesome. My wife has been wanting to photograph some waterfalls so count us in.

Looks like some solid trout pools!

Ooh, I’d like to go! I’m in.

There is a road, just west of Montoso Peak, off of Santa Fe National Forest Road 24NB, that overlooks the deepest section of gorge on the Rio Grande in the state. Here, you can get an auditory of the lowermost falls of the Rio Frijoles in Bandelier National Monument. I wonder if there is a spot where it can actually be viewed?

Below is the confluence of the Rio Frijoles with the Rio Grande, taken with a 90mm lens.
IMG_7220.JPG

Parajito Mountain, 10,441' and Parajito Plateau
IMG_7232.JPG

There are a couple of places with a decent overlook, and it takes a bit of effort to discover. I made this trip in November, on my bicycle, because there isn't much shade out there. Better off in a 4Runner, but plan on doing it in a 40.

IMG_20181118_121312.jpg

White Rock Canyon.jpg

and, later on in late December
Pano.jpg

Is the Little Chasm accessible now due to the CV-19 deal? If so, can we just park anywhere then hike in?

It is. But, the Rio en Medio trail from Chupadero is overwhelmed. I went twice, both times on Sunday morning, both times, no parking. The first time was a traffic jam with a driver who couldn't turn around (there are no spots) or, steer in reverse. The last time, there were signs about the number of parking citations given for each of the last seven days. There is only about seven legitimate parking spots there.

I would consider the approach from Aspen Ranch, or the Nordic Ski Loop off of 475. Or, park before daylight, planning on someone else doing a bad parking job.

Pretty much anything along NM475 is quite reasonable during the last few weeks. Big Tesuque campground is/was parkable, and there is a nice one about twenty minutes hike downstream, on an informal trail, from there, before the south fork confluence. Also, the bushwack from the Borrego Trail crossing going upstream to the lower falls isn't half bad, there is better GPS coverage in that canyon then I get in town. I wear leather gloves on those hikes, because the ground is unstable, and I typically have to break a fall at some point.

Most of the time that I visit, I skip Little Chasm, that was before all of the upper Pecos watershed parking facilities were roped off.

Great, thank you for the heads up as I've never been there and didn't know the protocol. I wouldn't mind tagging along with you since you seem to be well versed in this area.

I'd worry about this spot, if the word got out. So, PM me for location.

It is a huge sculpted piece below some challenging terrain, and you can see how the stream's trajectory changed from its former.
GEDC1978.JPG

GEDC2012.JPG

There is always something interesting below the sheer(ish) cliff.
GEDC2010.JPG

It was really nice getting there at that time in the evening. I used a different route out, because I couldn't locate the exact way in. Light changes rapidly in the late afternoon, and every time I enter this box canyon it is something different, regardless of how many times my routes cross.
GEDC2022.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom