Nifty City CarPlay unit for LC200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris8760

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched for a while to find a thread or even a comment about the Nifty City unit and came up short- I’ll apologize in advance if I missed it. The link is below- Anyone have experience with this system? Few reviews, but sounds promising. And they’re having a sale at the moment…

Looks like an identical unit to the EC Offroad, just rebranded.

I'm sure they are all Chinese sourced and rebranded. EC Offroad has shown to provide good vendor support, so they'd be my first choice with this model.

I didn’t think the EC version used the factory mic.

I didn’t think the EC version used the factory mic.
Based on other posts the current version of the EC uses the factory mic.

Anyone buy, I have an itchy trigger finger here thinking of pulling the trigger!

OK I bought it.
Please get back with us on how easy it is to install and how good is it.

Did you get the wireless version?

Please get back with us on how easy it is to install and how good is it.

Did you get the wireless version?
I ordered the advanced model with extras: lifetime support, dark mode, upgraded ram and unlock wireless CarPlay. Total with shipping after 30NC code was US $821 shipped. This was for a 2019 LC.

Ok nifty city is in. Super easy install. Wireless works great with car play. It asked to connect first via Wi-Fi to my phone from the unit. That works well and the phone works all the CarPlay functions through that connection, calls, music, maps.
I need to do some research on getting it to pickup my personal hotspot on my phone. All the apps are there to watch Netflix, youtube and the like.
so far very happy, boots fast, sound is clear using all the factory mics and speakers. Will continue to tinker with it tonight and figure out what to do with the 3 USB ports. One is dedicated to the dongle for wireless CarPlay

Ok nifty city is in. Super easy install. Wireless works great with car play. It asked to connect first via Wi-Fi to my phone from the unit. That works well and the phone works all the CarPlay functions through that connection, calls, music, maps.
I need to do some research on getting it to pickup my personal hotspot on my phone. All the apps are there to watch Netflix, youtube and the like.
so far very happy, boots fast, sound is clear using all the factory mics and speakers. Will continue to tinker with it tonight and figure out what to do with the 3 USB ports. One is dedicated to the dongle for wireless CarPlay
Please keep us updated!! 20% off on the site at this time………so this is very interesting. Where did you put the module? Are the wires visible? Can you take pics?

Thank you for being a guinea pig!

Pics attached

C0FC1B1B-005A-438F-8673-F230721FC80A.jpeg

D39587E8-AB67-405B-BBF5-293F398D24E8.jpeg

060D1B87-CC1F-4255-A239-EF5D710987BA.jpeg

I have the three USB’s hanging out of the passenger air vent right now. Trying to figure out what to do with them. I am still trying to figure it out but the factory usb does still charge but it does not create a connected CarPlay. I think you are limited to the three that are with the unit.

Screen is good, it isn’t like HD quality but still pretty good. It works well for Apple play and maps.

I did buy the advanced module for those interested.

I have the three USB’s hanging out of the passenger air vent right now. Trying to figure out what to do with them. I am still trying to figure it out but the factory usb does still charge but it does not create a connected CarPlay. I think you are limited to the three that are with the unit.

Screen is good, it isn’t like HD quality but still pretty good. It works well for Apple play and maps.

There is an adapter for the factory USB. I think this is it:

That looks like a good solution, thanks

With the EC Offroad unit, I have routed my USB ports to the space under the glovebox that's above the panel that needs to be removed to access the passenger side fuse block. That leaves them easy enough to get to if I want to plug something in, but otherwise out of the way. Since it looks like this unit supports installing other Android apps, some things you might consider using the ports for are: a USB wireless keyboard dongle (handy for typing in passwords or URLs in Android apps) or a USB thumb drive (if you want to use an Android music app to play your music or store offline maps for Android mapping apps).

I purchased a small wireless USB keyboard that fits in the top storage compartment in the center console. It's much easier to use for typing stuff in rather than the popup keyboard on the display. I don't recall if I tried, but I don't think it will work with CarPlay apps, just natively installed Android apps on the unit.

I actually like the external USB device for wireless Apple CarPlay as it frees up the WiFi in the unit itself so you can simultaneously have Internet on the device with less complication than with the EC Offroad unit. Same may apply to Bluetooth - depending on what's enabled on the device, you may be able to connect to a Bluetooth keyboard or Bluetooth OBD-II reader.

Does this Nifty City product automatically switch the screen over and start CarPlay every time you turn the car? Is it possible to leave the car on one of the factory options (Navigation, for example), so the aftermarket device doesn't take over for when you go to the dealer?

Depending on how some of these details work, this may be a better option than the EC Offroad unit, not to mention that the price is definitely more attractive. Please do update the thread as you experiment more and get more time with it.

One more thing - do you know which version of Android is installed on the Nifty City unit? The newer EC Offroad units have Android 8.1.

So in two shut down start ups today, both about 20 minutes apart and ten minute in between start up I left it on AM radio. Both times it booted back to AM radio like factory. It did connect my iPhone to CarPlay though wirelessly.

I ran my USB lines down to the passenger side knee panel. Going to think about that but I was able to button everything up this way.

Only weird thing so far is that every so often a very small line/row shows climate control settings. It is on auto and thinking it does this when it kicks on or off for auto, just a guess.

Below is version info

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the version info. I would suggest obscuring the IMEI number as that can potentially be used for nefarious purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom