Next big expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Someone please type up the minutes and share with those of us who can't make it. hopefully I don't get voted off the island!

@Crusha has a highly capable 80-series, a handful of radios to share, and a few bottles of whiskey.

I don't stand a chance!

Most of what was discussed pertained to the three of us driving.

- Steve, Mitch, and I will be leaving on Monday 10/29 and rolling into Salt Lake City on Wednesday 10/31. There was previous discussion about the three of us meeting everyone else at the trailhead, but we will be picking folks up from the airport and shopping for food, etc. with the rest of the gang.

- We will be bringing two stoves and two refrigerators among the other attendant gear.

- Steve is going to run power for a fridge and change out all of the fluids on his truck. There may possibly be a roof-top-tent and rack that appear on his Taco.

- Mitch has a fridge on order and will be running power for it as well.

- The three of us will be heading east from Fruta, Colorado so seats need to be found for everyone flying out of Salt Lake City.

- Bob looked into a satellite phone, and we agreed that the cost of ~$150 was worth it. If used, per-minute cost would be about $2 per minute.

- Questions we thought of: Is gasoline an issue on these trails? The only campground we are using is in Moab, correct? Are we going to plan group meals? If so, we should work out a plan before we shop to avoid mayhem. If cooking individually, no big deal.

I'm sure we spoke about more, but I think these were the major points.

A couple of additional notes:

I'll bring the propane shower

We will be bringing two 5 gallon potable water containers for cooking and showers. Will this be enough while we are away from civilization?

I’m going to figure out a way to bring fuel and water in addition to that. Also talked about two folding tables and Bart’s portable kitchen thing

I have 3 Jerry cans on my truck and all kind of camping gear.

Guys,

Regarding questions above about fuel and water, we will be away from provisions for a 3 days or so while we are on each trail.

Plan on being fuel/food/water sufficient for the following time blocks:
11/2 mid day until 11/5 mid day. There is gas available at Cal Black airport which is about 20 miles past the trailhead. Our trip from SLC to the start of HiTR will take us through Hanksville, which is 100 miles from trailhead, and is the last place for decent provisions. I am not sure if there is a gas station b/w Hanksville and the trail. Maybe @beno knows?! HiTR trail is 68 miles round trip.

11/6 - 11/8 we will be on the Kokopelli, with no services. Kokopelli trail is 142 miles one way.

We need to determine camp spot for evening of 11/1 (near or outside SLC). Evening of 11/5 (in Moab or somewhere near Moab). Evening of 11/8 (somewhere near Fruta, end of Koko trail).

Copying the tentative plan back from page 2 or 3 of this thread:

Tentative plan:
11/1 - fly into SLC. (Delta, $301 round trip, PHL to SLC, direct flight, arrives 837pm). Overnight in SLC hotel or just outside of SLC.
11/2 - gather supplies, hit the pavement down to start of HOLE IN THE ROCK TRAIL. (maps suggest 5hr45min drive time). Overnight at camp spot at start of HiTR.
11/3 - HiTR trail day 1. Overnight at end of trail or super secret location
11/4 - HiTR trail day 2. Overnight at end of trail or super secret location
11/5 - HiTR trail day 3. Travel to Moab. Camp in Moab.
11/6 - Kokopelli trail day 1.
11/7 - Kokopelli trail day 2.
11/8 - Kokopelli trail day 3, camp near Fruta, CO at end of the trail.
11/9 - pavement from Fruta to SLC. (maps suggest 4hr30min drive time). Private tour of Land Cruiser Heritage Museum Home hopefully led by the famous @cruiserdan. camp in the back of one of the Expedition 7 vehicles inside the museum that still have RTTs mounted to them. Or hotel in SLC.
11/10 - fly out of SLC. (Delta, $301 round trip, SLC to PHL, one stop, departs 11am, arrives 654pm).

For those of you who are driving, you can leave 11/9 am from Fruta, CO to start heading east.

Guys,

Regarding questions above about fuel and water, we will be away from provisions for a 3 days or so while we are on each trail.

Plan on being fuel/food/water sufficient for the following time blocks:
11/2 mid day until 11/5 mid day. There is gas available at Cal Black airport which is about 20 miles past the trailhead. Our trip from SLC to the start of HiTR will take us through Hanksville, which is 100 miles from trailhead, and is the last place for decent provisions. I am not sure if there is a gas station b/w Hanksville and the trail. Maybe @beno knows?! HiTR trail is 68 miles round trip.

Gas up in Hanksville indeed. Have food at Blondies. :)

Then you can get gas for the trucks and the jerry cans at Halls Crossing at the gas station right at the campground. You should actually plan on camping at the Halls Crossing campground as it has really nice showers. The trailhead is only 15mins from Halls Crossing. Do not go to Cal Black... Waste of time.

If we go through Hanksville and hite to get to the trail start we would then drive past the trail to go to Hall's Crossing, correct? The ferry is closed at that time of year otherwise I would've recommended we come in from the west and take a little ferry ride across.

If we go through Hanksville and hite to get to the trail start we would then drive past the trail to go to Hall's Crossing, correct? The ferry is closed at that time of year otherwise I would've recommended we come in from the west and take a little ferry ride across.

Correct. You go past the trail head. But it's no biggie.

I doubt the ferry is closed since school buses cross twice a day from one side to the other.

:)

Thanks for the info. A few months ago I checked the website and said they weee closing in the winter. Now it says they are running Thur/fri/sat.

Utah Department of Transportation,

Bullfrog marina is 5hrs from SLC so we could probably make that happen if everyone wanted. There looks to be a pretty nice campground at Halls Crossing.

One thing not mentioned at the meeting was using the “Ledger” system on expenses. I introduced it last year in Colorado and I think everyone thought it was great. It simplifies group expenses very easily. Every night if you make a group expense purchase, turn it in at dinner and we balance the ledger. Every person has a position on the ledger either cash positive or cash negative. People who are the most negative pick up the next community expense. At the end of the trip there is one last settlement and payout that zero’s out the ledger. Takes all the hassle out of sharing expenses.

One other suggestion I have is that we do group dinners and pair up in two’s for preparation and clean up. The nights we do group dinners 2 guys cook, and another two man team cleans up. Cooks plan their menu and see that the groceries are on hand. If 8 guys are on the trip, and we do 4 group meals each team of two cooks once, cleans once, and does nothing twice but drink.

Genius! I used the ledger method on a trip to Alaska; it as simple and it worked great.

The above idea about the ledger system seems great, but I was under the impression that Bob was just paying for everything for everyone.

Did we have a misunderstanding? Is that no longer the case?

FYI, my brother did the Kokopelli trail with a bunch of 80's...a few had to syphon gas from his V8-powered 40 in order to make it back. All 80's were running on fumes at the end. I recall he had ~ 48 gallons of fuel at the start of the trail.

I have two of the long flat Geri/Expedition One 4 gallon fuel containers (precursors to the Rotopax) if someone wants to borrow one or both to avoid buying a can just for the trip. Geri Fuel/Water Packs

The above idea about the ledger system seems great, but I was under the impression that Bob was just paying for everything for everyone.

Did we have a misunderstanding? Is that no longer the case?

Bob who?

[QUOTE="One other suggestion I have is that we do group dinners and pair up in two’s for preparation and clean up. The nights we do group dinners 2 guys cook, and another two man team cleans up. Cooks plan their menu and see that the groceries are on hand. If 8 guys are on the trip, and we do 4 group meals each team of two cooks once, cleans once, and does nothing twice but drink.[/QUOTE]

Follow the same plan for breakfast and lunch? I need a minimum of 3 meals a day.

One thing not mentioned at the meeting was using the “Ledger” system on expenses. I introduced it last year in Colorado and I think everyone thought it was great. It simplifies group expenses very easily. Every night if you make a group expense purchase, turn it in at dinner and we balance the ledger. Every person has a position on the ledger either cash positive or cash negative. People who are the most negative pick up the next community expense. At the end of the trip there is one last settlement and payout that zero’s out the ledger. Takes all the hassle out of sharing expenses.

One other suggestion I have is that we do group dinners and pair up in two’s for preparation and clean up. The nights we do group dinners 2 guys cook, and another two man team cleans up. Cooks plan their menu and see that the groceries are on hand. If 8 guys are on the trip, and we do 4 group meals each team of two cooks once, cleans once, and does nothing twice but drink.

Fantastic. I second the motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom