Newport Twp PA., OHV Park in the works. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across this from a FB post. Public feasibility survey for off road park in Newport Twp. If I'm reading this right it's 10,000 acres.

Link to take survey: Newport Twp. OHV Study - Earth Conservancy - https://www.earthconservancy.org/recreation/newport-twp-ohv-study/

Area map

1611621059724.png

Hoping this project gets traction and moves forward. The proposed area is only 40-45 minutes away from me and is really familiar territory. Frequented these sites when I worked in the power generation industry years back. Lots of strip mines and mountains of culm tailings. I believe some of this property went through the PA land reclaimation process too. Should be interesting.

2.5 Hours from me, so probably at the tip of my day trip tolerance, but would be great to have another option in the area and gives the added benefit of making use of what is likely dead land for other things and helps make PA a premier wheeling destination in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast region.

Would be nice to have a 3rd choice. Realistically, once east of the Mississippi, this type of public/private partnership is about the only way to have large areas to wheel in. It's about 2 hours from Etown, which is at the outer edge of the distance I'm willing to travel to get to a park.

@VBRoamer well said. Just filled out the survey. Wish it was closer, it seems to be the same distance as Anthracite and Rausch for me, but I'm happy to have more options.

Looks like for me about a 45 minute drive not bad at all actually about the same as my going to either Rausch or AOAA. I hope I'm wrong but reading the feasibility study it seems they are leaning toward ATV use. The only clubs consulted were ATV or dirt bike rider groups, nothing from jeep or Toyota people. I did see that Paragon Adventure Park was listed as a contributor to the study.
ATV's are a real problem these days they're everywhere and riding wherever they can. In the last nine months a major effort has been launched by land owners in my area to block trail access to their property. Just within the last two weeks the path I have right off my property to get up onto the mountain behind my house has been blocked by a tremendous pile of dirt and clean fill it's a wall about eight feet tall. The bad news is it blocks me from easily getting onto the mountain the good news is it has stopped all the noise from ATV's and dirt bikes going up there at seemingly al hours of the day and night.

Last edited:
Would be cool but it does look like they're spec'ing it primarily for ATV use. This would be a solid 3 hour drive for me (which is a LOOONNNGGG way in a 40 at 5:30am) but it would definitely be fun to check it out, if it does wind up open to bigger toys.

@shmukster - I hear you regarding the ATV's - I live in a subdivision and I have kids (and adults) on ATV's running up and down the streets no less than 4 hours a day. What's especially sad is they're literally just driving up and down the road - I'd think they would get bored! It's like a right of passage down here to get an ATV for your 7th birthday... Super annoying since I have a daughter who is usually trying to nap while they're 5 small engines running outside her window. I told my wife I'm going to build her a tube frame 4WD go-cart that will stomp all these ATV's so she could plow up and down the street with open headers. If you can't beat em, BEAT em.

When I first moved in, I had to throw at least 3 groups of riders off my property (the house had been abandoned for a year and a half before I bought it). I tried to be reasonable, explain my property lines and how they could access the woods behind my house, but when the same group of kids were doing wheelies through my back yard (even the sections I mow) after I had that conversation, I had to put my foot down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom