Newly purchased 07 LX470 in Portland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 128K mile 2007 LX from a dealer in the northeast. The car was transported back and finally arrived yesterday. It spent the first 6 years of its life in New Jersey, and then was in Virginia until early this year. Timing belt was done at 105K miles in 2018. Cosmetically, it's in great shape inside and out, and I paid a premium for that, and the low mileage. I'll preface all of this by saying that I DIDN'T fly out to look at it myself (I should have) and I DIDN'T pay to have a pre-inspection done on it. I was too trusting of the dealer and already regret it. But it's water under the bridge at this point, and lesson learned for the future.

The AHC system was removed at some point in the past and converted to regular springs and shocks, however according to the dealer, whomever did the work did not change the torsion bars, so that is something I want to get done.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I get it off the transport truck. It's making a squealing noise when driving (regardless of whether or not brakes are applied), that I am assuming has something to do with the brakes. It's emitting some sort of a burning smell from the engine compartment or somewhere underneath. Obviously there is rust, however it's tough for me to tel how bad, as most of it was coated at some point (don't know whether it was done by the selling dealer or not, and it doesn't really matter at this point). Based on what I've seen online, there are others from the NE that are much much worse. This one doesn't look THAT bad to me, but I know that there are ways to hide it, and it bothers me that I can tell that someone sprayed most of it with either paint or some sort of coating.

I am reluctant to really drive it until I have an inspection done on it. It also doesn't have any plates I've spoken with both Landcruisers NW (Matt) and Landcruiser Specialities (Tim); both Landcruiser shops in the Portland area. LC NW can get it in for an inspection at the end of next week. LC Specialties is booked for 2 to 3 weeks before he can inspect it, and then several months before he could work on it. I've seen some questionable reviews online for LC NW, however I know it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

I already have a really bad feeling that I got screwed over. Let me correct that...I let myself get screwed over. Again, however, I have the car now, so I'm just going to have to live with it and hope for the best. If it's too bad, I'll have to get rid of it. I'm fine spending several grand to sort any minor issues out (and I'm hoping they are minor). I just want a car that is dependable and fun, and I know these cars have a cult following out there, and for good reason.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with either of these local shops in Portland? I just need someone honest who isn't going to take advantage of my obvious lack of knowledge. And I need a trustworthy opinion and a list of what the car needs before I am comfortable relying up it as dependable transport. Luckily I have other cars to drive, so not having access to this one for a while, while I wait for the diagnosis, and then the associated repairs, isn't the end of the world.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1358.jpg

I would post this in the Portland clubhouse as well. I'm not sure how active it is but there would be more local knowledge there.

Best of luck with the inspection and baselining. Sounds like you learned a good lesson. Looks like the exhaust was replaced at some point as well. If that was due to rust, I would have someone check out the underside and see if there are any areas of concern.

I would post this in the Portland clubhouse as well. I'm not sure how active it is but there would be more local knowledge there.

Best of luck with the inspection and baselining. Sounds like you learned a good lesson. Looks like the exhaust was replaced at some point as well. If that was due to rust, I would have someone check out the underside and see if there are any areas of concern.
Yes, I forgot to mention the exhaust. In the pictures the dealer sent me of the car, it had what looked like the original exhaust. They definitely replaced it, and didn't tell me or ask me. That really bothers me. And I hope that there's not a catalytic converter issue now. I'm trying not to focus on the mistake that I made, and instead focus on moving forward and hopefully getting the car to a point where I can enjoy it and drive it for many trouble free miles.

First of all, welcome. Interesting approach on the LX purchase. Chasing down a rusted east coast rig from the rust free west coast. I hope you're not hearing a brake booster squeal of death. Be careful driving even short distances until proper diagnosis. Hopefully, you can get it sorted without further breaking the bank. If you throw up some undercarriage pics some experienced rust belters can help you out with identifying trouble spots.
Goodluck moving forward.

Not sure if Wits End does any service type jobs but it’s worth giving them a call. They’re in OR. I’m sure they can point you in the right direction to trustworthy local shops.

First of all, welcome. Interesting approach on the LX purchase. Chasing down a rusted east coast rig from the rust free west coast. I hope you're not hearing a brake booster squeal of death. Be careful driving even short distances until proper diagnosis. Hopefully, you can get it sorted without further breaking the bank. If you throw up some undercarriage pics some experienced rust belters can help you out with identifying trouble spots.
Goodluck moving forward.
Agreed on the strategy. I wanted a very specific vehicle and looked for quite a while. Wasn’t able to find anything on the west coast or “non rust belt” states. I hope the brake squealing is a minor issue as well.
F36BB617-3D68-4860-A325-07BF89F52A0C.jpeg

DC063CB2-D5A3-4ACE-A957-D5E7AEC07487.jpeg

D7B13BBE-ED36-4134-B11D-B42711B5CEA8.jpeg

E9BAAB47-3D84-42CE-860B-14A6150BF064.jpeg

BB7AA249-F6E9-4F4B-A5C9-CF390E800451.jpeg

B180BA84-6BE6-40CA-8C59-83566B04AC80.jpeg

81DC8AC1-8146-477C-AC5A-84EB4384D5CD.jpeg

AD70BB11-FD5F-4279-B45F-9921BAE9CAE0.jpeg

8EAD4963-B73F-40B3-87BC-D01316F7AEFF.jpeg

13F7A567-CAB3-4BC5-B1BF-5F65F6752930.jpeg

What state did this vehicle live it’s life before your purchase?

edit: read the first post to find my answer. The rust doesn’t look horrible. Exhaust is aftermarket and looks like at some point some areas were spray painted black (guessing for cosmetics).

Are you sure the squealing is brakes? It could it be the serpentine belt. I've had them do what you're describing that would explain the smell also. Does it make noise at idle at say 3,000 rpm?

Jim

Last edited:
Still could be many things that aren’t terminal, don’t panic yet. I’m guessing it’s the parking break. Mine was driving me bananas for a few days, had it adjusted and the noise is gone. Any video of the noise?

Bro, I don't see much rust. If you paid less then $27.5k for it, you made out ok. I think you're probably having buyers remorse that you paid that much for a 15 year old vehicle that you've read solely on the internet that they are so reliable and kings of the road.

Burning smell is probably valve cover gaskets. Dirt cheap at $50 and easy to replace.
Squealing is probably a belt tensioner or idler. Dirt cheap and 20 minutes to replace.

Like I've said 1000000x times before on this forum and to people in real life asking me about old Toyotas, the 100 series at this point is an enthusiast platform whether it be a mint 06/07 or a beat 98/99. What that means is 99% of them will need $2-7k for work right off the bat to be turn-key or just even remotely reliable as DD transportation.

Bro, I don't see much rust. If you paid less then $27.5k for it, you made out ok. I think you're probably having buyers remorse that you paid that much for a 15 year old vehicle that you've read solely on the internet that they are so reliable and kings of the road.

Burning smell is probably valve cover gaskets. Dirt cheap at $50 and easy to replace.
Squealing is probably a belt tensioner or idler. Dirt cheap and 20 minutes to replace.

Like I've said 1000000x times before on this forum and to people in real life asking me about old Toyotas, the 100 series at this point is an enthusiast platform whether it be a mint 06/07 or a beat 98/99. What that means is 99% of them will need $2-7k for work right off the bat to be turn-key or just even remotely reliable as DD transportation.

Thanks man. I'm fine with spending $2-7K right off the bat. Looking forward to getting it in for maintenance and then enjoying the hell out of it!

BTW, then reason I wanted final years is for the increased HP and 5 speed transmission. I also like the minor design tweaks for the final year models (LED tail lamps, larger rear spoiler, updated wheels).

That rig is not rusty at all. Damn good find. Just get it baselined and start enjoying.

Bro, I don't see much rust.
I'd be more careful. What I see is somebody doing their best effort to disguise rust with black paint. You won't know for sure what you've got until you explore some of those uneven / bubbly looking areas and see what's under the black paint. I definitely see a few nuts and bolts that will be troublesome to remove if needed. It doesn't appear to be on its death bed by any means, but it's clearly not a left coast car either.

I'll freely admit... I'm a rust-o-phobe. Having been born and raised in a dry desert, even a small dusting of rust color makes me scream like a little girl seeing a spider. You're probably fine.

This is typical of rust we see in New England. If you had this on the underside, I could understand the buyers remorse. The gas tank cover is always the first to rust out - if that bothers you, they're not that expensive to replace ~$300 IIRC. Make sure the AHC is up to maintenance and I would just hit the surface rust areas with fluid film and you'll be good to go for many, many years.

I'd be more careful. What I see is somebody doing their best effort to disguise rust with black paint. You won't know for sure what you've got until you explore some of those uneven / bubbly looking areas and see what's under the black paint. I definitely see a few nuts and bolts that will be troublesome to remove if needed. It doesn't appear to be on its death bed by any means, but it's clearly not a left coast car either.

I'll freely admit... I'm a rust-o-phobe. Having been born and raised in a dry desert, even a small dusting of rust color makes me scream like a little girl seeing a spider. You're probably fine.
This. Rust is painted over under Meath. Doesn’t look bad but definite crusty-ies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom