Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by 1TallTXn, Oct 27, 2005.

1. 1TallTXn

1TallTXn

Hello to one and all! My dad just purchased a '85 FJ60 and we are going to install a Cummins 6B in it.

ran across this forum doing searches and have had it recommended to my by other cruiser heads.

I am more then open to suggestions for doing this swap. (I haven't searched yet so I'm not going to ask any questions)

Thanks!

2. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

cool, sounds like it will be a monster. there have been many posts about this swap, a lot of good info. for starters you will need a good lift to clear your axle as it's a taller engine, IIRC about 4" lift.

good luck! Diesels rule, I opted for a smaller Toyota diesel but my buddy has a 6bt in his dodge. Great engine, loads of torque.

welcome!

3. Hildy

Hildy

Hi Texan, WELCOME to the boards. I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know right here. I don't know anything about the swap, but Im sure it will be sweet when its done.

4. dtrain

dtrain

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome!!!

Wish I could help you.. tons of info here though! Post lots of pics!!

5. YODA 88 62

YODA 88 62

6. meluhha

meluhha

7. 1TallTXn

1TallTXn

Thanks for the responses. The main reason we are going to put the 6B in the FJ60 is that we already have a 6B so the cost of getting the engine is already defrayed.

We are looking to do a SOA conversion to give us the clearance.

Looking for either a NV4500 or a NV5600 to put behind the 6B.

Know of a good place to get the SOA conversion kit?
    I have found proffittscurisers, but had heard there was a cheaper kit

I will be sure to take plenty of pics of the swap as it goes along.

Thanks for the help/info!

8. 1TallTXn

1TallTXn

Just read the FAQ at Proffitt's and it looks like they can get you at kit for $150.
    (maybe I should read the fine print before questioning)

9. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

Proffitt's "kit" is $400. This isn't a complete kit. What you get is a housing with new spring pearches, shock mounts and turn stops.

You will still need to fab spring pearches for your rear axle, extended shock mounts up in front, U bolts, brake lines etc. Which I am sure that proffitts can supply for extra $$. You will also need steering parts. Check out www.marlincrawler.com. They can hook you up with steering arms and tie rod/drag ling. You are also going to need some decent shocks.

10. 1TallTXn

1TallTXn

UPDATE: got a SOA "kit" (perches) from Proffitt's and a Hy Steer from All Pro. The steering is here, the soa kit is on the way.

Ordered a bunch of sound deadening stuff from eDesigns (eDead v3) and are going to coat the interior and underbody to keep that 6B noise where it belongs: outside.

I have pics of the rig at home but keep forgetting to put them online :whoops:

Still looking for a tranny to put behind the 6, may have found a NV4500 will find out today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.