Newbie w/ Simple Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am an owner of a new (to me) 1995 FZJ. I am totally happy with it so far - about 4 months and 3,000 miles (it now has 155K). During a recent fill up, while checking the oil, I noticed a cracked hose coming out of the top of the block. The pic below (not my engine, just a pic I found online) exactly shows the issue.

Myquestions are:
1. What is this hose? Please take it easy, my knowledge of engines is basically non-existent.
2. Do I need to replace it with a genuine OEM hose or can I use something generic?
3. Is there anything special I would need to do while putting on a new one?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. As soon as I get my home computer fixed, I'll post a pic.
FZJ Engine.jpg

That is one of the"pcv" hoses. I don't know the actual name of it, but I have heard it called the bigger pcv hose. You should replace it if it is cracked. You will want to replace the skinny PCV hose and probably the PCV valve and grommet (right next to the circled hose). My TRD S/C kit came with generic hose and I had to cut it to length. However, you can get both hoses for about $20 IIRC from CDan and you could also throw in the valve and grommet with your order.

You might want to check the big 3" intake tube for cracks as well. Those commonly become brittle after many years of high heat exposure. You can get one of those from Dan too.

EDIT: When changing the PCV, make sure to not drop brittle grommet pieces into the valve cover. There is a write-up here somewhere if you do a search.

Edit 2: In case you don't know already CDan is "cruiserdan" here on mud. He is the parts manager at American Toyota and he gives mud members a good discount on OEM parts. You can find his number in the vendor section of the classifieds. He will be able to save you a lot of money.

Last edited:
You might want to check the big 3" intake tube for cracks as well. Those commonly become brittle after many years of high heat exposure. You can get one of those from Dan too.

When changing the PCV, make sure to not drop brittle grommet pieces into the valve cover. There is a write-up here somewhere if you do a search.

My air intake (the big one) was cracked and it idled rough until it was taped up and eventurally replaced.

The PCV grommet on my cracked and fell in but there is a little cage there to catch the pieces and I just stuck the vacuum cleaner hose up there and all the pieces came right out.

Wow too funny,

I just ordered the parts for the same issue you are having.

Very cheap to fix indeed.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom