Newbie Offset/Rubbing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First. Sorry about my username. I think I picked it after a few drinks. admin would let me drop it and go with something better.

Anyway. Just got a 2007 GX. All stock. just picked up 5 barely used Wildpeak 285/70/17 for a $500.

Goal is to have minimal rubbing with those tires.

looking to do cheapest lift which i found is the eibach pro-truck with the air to spring conversion for $810.

Lastly I want to put UCA's on while I have the lift going in. Looking at JBA for tunability. also condsidering budget friendly freedom offroad or dirt kings .

I can get whatever wheel offset I need to minimize rubbing. Does - offset mean more trimming? is there a sweet spot in width and offset?

-Thanks in advance

With that size you're going to need to do some a body mount chop and some trimming. Maybe you could get a way with a huge wheel spacer and way more trimming but thats a terrible idea for many reasons

A few successful run stock 5th gen 4Runner +15 offset wheels. It would fit that size tire with minimal rubbing.

There are three places you'll need to worry about rubbing, initially: On the body mount, on the fender liner (front), and on the UCA. My understanding is that 285/70/17 tires will rub all three on the stock wheels at stock height. For example, the driver's side will rub on the liner at right lock and on the body mount at left lock. Lowering the offset value (lower + offset or a - offset) fixes the UCA rub by moving the tire outboard, but that increases the scrub radius of the tire, making the liner and body mount rubs worse. This is why @captainva said a huge wheel spacer would require way more trimming. A slightly lower positive offset like what @Jstawgn suggested would fix the UCA rub without making the liner and body mount rubs a lot worse.

The fourth place you need to worry about would be the fender itself under compression if you go with a large negative offset. Again, this is why a slightly lower positive like stock 5th gen 4Runner +15 offset wheels or AlphaEquipt wheels are appealing at that size tire. You still tuck without jamming the tire into the edge of the fender.

At that price for the tires (I'm guessing they were Jeep JT takeoffs), you can pay for the BMC and still come out way ahead. Nice find!

I am lifted on 275's with aftermarket wheels. I have done fender liner mod and even trimmed the bumper tabs. I still rub sometimes. I rubbed on 265's too. This site is really misleading about what fits without rubbing.

I am lifted on 275's with aftermarket wheels. I have done fender liner mod and even trimmed the bumper tabs. I still rub sometimes. I rubbed on 265's too. This site is really misleading about what fits without rubbing.
That's not very promising for me as Murphy's law is my constant.
Curious about your offset on those wheels. And I assume you mean 275/70/17 with a bigger at or Mt tire.

I installed my lift first then bought the same size tire (Nitto Ridge Grapplers). I have the SPC UCA's and had no rubbing except on the front sway bar at full lock. I already had sliders so I can't say if they would rub the running boards.

I installed my lift first then bought the same size tire (Nitto Ridge Grapplers). I have the SPC UCA's and had no rubbing except on the front sway bar at full lock. I already had sliders so I can't say if they would rub the running boards.

Is it hard to find a shop that knows how to do the spc UCA castor and alignment ? Also what lift and amounts?

Is it hard to find a shop that knows how to do the spc UCA castor and alignment ? Also what lift and amounts?
I forgot to ask wheel type and offset

I have factory wheels. I don't think the alignment shop knows how to use the SPC, so I set the UCA's and then bring it to them so they can do a "standard alignment".

As for lift, I am close to 3" in front and 2.25" in the rear +/-.

Also, someone posted that the SPC's are available on RockAuto for a good price

Also, someone posted that the SPC's are available on RockAuto for a good price

Sort of. They're mevotech brand but only some people got SPC branded arms in the box. Its more of a crapshoot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom