Newbie from Alaska with pic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.denalihwy.com
Alaska Ranger here, from The Heart of The Alaska Range -

here - if it takes - is a pic of my 1980 BJ40.

I'm a newbie not just on this forum, but also with, after all these years, a Land Cruiser of my own. So....am hoping all you nice folks, plus the rest of you, will be able to bear with me and help me figure out what to do how and where in finishing this restoration job. She's purty now, but most of that is skin deep.

This is my (-nth-) diesel. I also have one each of a:

2001 F-250 7.3l CC LongBed

1970-72 era JohnDeere 450B crawler loader with 4-in-1 Drott loader/dozer/scraper/clamshell front and full-size backhoe on rear. On edit - those stars take a word that begins with "c", ends with "p", and has an "ra" in the middle. Funny censor, this site has.....

1996 Pisten Bully 280D (Cummins) - the largest and most powerful snow groomer anywhere in the state of Alaska!

2006 TDI Golf

and a bunch of gassers which I'll not sully your ears or eyes with.

On edit - the way I'm reading this, the max size pic I can upload is a 120kb jpeg, of 800 x 800. If so, a pic will have to wait...

Welcome to Mud! :flipoff2:

Images are simple to resize, just make sure it's under the Kb requirements as well as the pixel maxs and you won't have a prob. Good luck, can't wait to see your 40.

Let's try this...sorry, folks - shall I blame it on my also having switched to an Apple????
Ranger's 1980 BJ40.jpg

Last edited:
So here's a non-diesel-specific question: As that pic shows, can anyone give me a clue as to why a prior owner would have welded a 1 7/8" ball onto the front left bumper?????

Couldn't go in the center because of winch. When parking a trailer in a tight area its much easier to push it in than back it in for some...

That stands to reason - thanks!

Now I've got to search through FAQs, Stickies, etc., to see where folks start when looking for such things as body gaskets and seals, pedal covers, REAR QUARTER WINDOWS - boo hoo:frown: - seat replacements, who's got the best injectors (for future reference only, I hope), wiring diagrams, MANUAL...as all of you know, these hobbies can get involved:grinpimp: :cool: :D

Is there a problem with the rear windows?

Call Toyta and get the factory manuals, it's easy and no guessing. Here's the info for the manuals:
Materials Distribution Center (MDC)
Telephone: 1-800-622-2033
Hours: 7:00 am to 5:00 pm (Pacific Time)

"...problem with rear windows...."

Well, it's 300 miles from Anchorage to here, and for trailer-weight-distribution reasons, I loaded the BJ40 backwards onto the butt-end of my trailer. Just 40 miles short of this destination, one of our ubiquitous road rock chips flew up and took out the rhs rear "quarter-panel" wraparound windows. Ouch:mad:

And, I'm SURE that is the cheapest and easiest-to-replace kind of glass there is...... Grrrr.....:crybaby:

Actually there are tons of them and some can be had for cheap, like $30 or less, have heard of lots of them for free...do some searching, somebody has one. They're easy to install too if you got some soap and a small rope...

Oh yeah that Cruiser is pretty...I hope my BJ42 is gonna be that pretty someday when I get it...

I've got a couple of the rear quater windows sitting under the desk in the office. Just drop me a line.

Where exactly are you/the Cruiser? Paxon? Healy?

Is this the one that has been for sale in Eagle River?

Mark...

Hey Mark W -
I'm on the Paxson end of the Denali Highway. Isn't my sig line showing up yet?:confused: May have to work on that a bit. No secrets here.
Yes, this is the one from Eagle River. That owner had it for one year, drove it about 130 miles; picked it up from the fellow who one year previously imported it from BritCol, then left Alaska and sold all his vehicles. Let me know if you know anything more specifically about this BJ40!!!

And what about you - I bet there is a great story about your avatar pic - yikes:whoops:

What is the status of FJ/BJ owners in Alaska? I see there is no TLCA Alaska chapter.

Ranger -

While there is not a TLCA chapter here anymore, we have a pretty strong club that keeps up on TLCA stuff. Primarily in the Anchorage./Mat-Su Valley area. Probably about 50 folks who would say that they are part of the Alaska Cruiser Crew. Mainly just a good circel of friends who get together socially a bit ands hit the trails together too. Seldom have more than 10-12 rigs on a run though.

You ever run to the Gakona via Fish Lake Trail? One mile Creek? Ever cross the Gakona over to Lower Slate Creek or the Chistochina? McClaren River Trail? Tangle Lakes?

The avatar? Here's a link to Jim Brantley's page (PismoJim). He's posted the story of that day which ran in the Toyota Trails a while back.

Mark...

Cool - thanks. I take it you're either in Anchortown or in the Mat-Su.
You ever run to the Gakona via Fish Lake Trail? One mile Creek? Ever cross the Gakona over to Lower Slate Creek or the Chistochina? McClaren River Trail? Tangle Lakes? Mark...
Answers:
Yes
Yes
No/No
Yes
Yes
:D

When's the next time you're up this way????? I'll PM you about that windowglass.....

Yep, I'm in Wasilla. My shop is just off the Palmer-Wasilla Highway.

I'll be heading up to the Tok River highway crossing to spend a week in the hills, and hopefully come out via Fish lake Trail, in late July/early August. Don't expect to be up that way 'til then.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom