Newbie...2002 LC questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I'm a newbie...i have owned alot of toy p/u...put 400K on one and 325K on another. My family has grown to 5 + several dogs, and 3800lb camper. The cummins is difficult to get in and out of, but will pull a house at still get 18MPG. So ive been looking at LC as an alternative, more/easier seating but still able to pull..yes the MPG hurts, but what can you do.
I found a 02 for 16k, all maintaince records,79K,etc...She looks really nice.
Questions: Is this thing going to eat me alive on maintaince? I'm pretty handy but hate wrenching in the cold garage, and dont make 100K/yr....
Any input/suggestions is greatly appreciated
I looked at a LC as we drive 6 months/yr on snowpack/icy roads,looks to be a safe car,but still capable....

Do some research into the specific potential problem areas as they are covered here. The summary is that the 100 series is extremely reliable, according to Consumer Reports it gets their highest ratings in term of reliability. As long as regular maintenance is performed, the vehicle should be very reliable for years to come.

Note the 100 won't pull anything like your cummins. With 5 passengers plus the trailer it will be adequate, but you won't be winning any races. You may also want to try and find a 2003+ as they had a 5 speed automatic which helps them pull better, shorter first gear and more gears to choose from.

It's a Toyota, it's reliable. However, it's also a used car, so who knows. There's no single problem with the 100 series that every truck has. There are a few issues that are more common, but still not catastrophic (starter, CV joints, etc.).

they are clearly way more reliable than most other vehicles out there (especially domestics) but you want to keep on top of maintenance, and parts and repair are also probably more expensive than for domestics with fewer inexpensive aftermarket parts available. (Example: the timing belt job you'd nominally need in 10K or so would likely be over $1K at a shop.) And better resale value (although things have been ugly recently). Overall a better way to go, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom