New to the forum and TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I'm relatively new to this forum and the proud new owner of an execellent condition '97 Collector's Edition with 106k miles. I live in Maryland, but spent most of my life living near Syracuse, NY (can't wait to take the LC up to Black Lake (north of Watertown, NY) for ice fishing this winter).

I say I'm relatively new, because I spent about a month researching the threads within this forum, before purchasing my LC. I learned great deal about the longevity of these vehicles (if properly maintained). This forum helped me decide that buying a LC was the right move...that's powerful stuff.

After looking at/driving many, I finally found the jewel. The guy I bought mine from was the original owner of the vehicle. His wife drove it (mostly on the highway) to and from work (Baltimore to DC) daily. He had alot of maintenance records...mostly oil changes by the dealer every 3k-4k miles. It drives like new.

While I've always done most of the maintenance on my vehicles (my current "other vehicle" is a '97 Saab 900 SE Turbo Coupe...104k miles and still sneeky fast), this is my first 4wd, so I have alot to learn about the drivetrain and related preventive maintenance. I have learned from you folks that it is important to service the steering knuckles and birfield joints regularly (is every 60k correct?). The only records the previous owner had in this area was a few shots of new grease by the dealer from time to time. Needless to say, I'm purchasing a FSM and will do the service myself...along with any other maintenance suggested by this forum.

Finally, I'm thinking about converting from dino to synthetic oil. I did this slowly with my Saab and never developed leaky seals. I started with a 30-70 mix of M1-dino, then increased the M1 amount each change until it was 100% M1...it took almost two years.

Thanks all,

Paul

Paul,

Let me be the first to say :flipoff2:, and welcome to the forum. Lots of good guys, and maybe gals, here willing to help out with anything and everything.

Again, welcome. Glad to have you here. :D

Yup. I switched to M1 at about 40K and have never had any problems. I run 10W-40 to keep the OP up a bit; the 5W-30 is a wee bit thin. If you're into oil...do a search on "oil" and you'll find more than you wanted to :eek:

Tom

Paul,

Welcome and enjoy...

Ed

An offical welcome :flipoff2:

Look out for you-know-who :ban:

:beer: D-

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

I'm heading to Syracuse to visit family for the Thanksgiving holiday...first road trip in the LC! Doing an oil & filter change, transmission drain/refill and general check of the vehicle before leaving later today.

Everyone have a safe and happy turkey-day.

Paul

Welcome :cheers:
I'm waitin' for Cary to weigh in on the dino/syntho transition strategy. I think he frowned on mixing the two, but I can't find that part of the monster thread a few months back.

LT
8)

Paul,
Welcome to the 80/100 section here on ih8mud and it sounds like you did good research and will be very happy with your new 80.

I'm one of the "sooner is better" advocates on the front and rear axle service. The 60,000 mile number is frequently thrown out by me and I'll defend the logic. It's my personal mantra so to speak. :D

There isn't a magic number of miles where you're OK up to that point and in trouble after that point. I think it's safe to say that nobody has had worn out parts and failures if they do the birfield repacks at 60k mile intervals. It's also safe to say that some (many?) have had expensive failures at 100-120k miles.

Hope that answers your question.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom