New To The 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm looking at a 1990 LJ78 Land Cruiser that I found on Marketplace with 197k miles (318k km). The seller is asking $11,500 USD and from his pictures, it appears to be in decent condition. However, I'm brand new to the world of Land Cruiser's and know nothing about what to look for. The truck was originally purchased in Japan before it was sent to British Columbia where it was Assigned a BC VIN, and it's now in Ohio, U.S.

I will take any advice that you guys can give me or things to watch out for before I go to look at it this weekend. Thanks, and I hope to join the community soon!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

How mechanically inclined are you? Will you be fixing it or will you be paying someone to fix it? (In general, not just the rusty body parts).

How mechanically inclined are you? Will you be fixing it or will you be paying someone to fix it? (In general, not just the rusty body parts).
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a master mechanic, I'd say I'm a 6. Not trying to rebuild an engine but I understand these are trucks that need attention in order to last a while. I used to have a 4runner that was perfect for me in that regard and I sometimes regret selling it.

You should be good then. Parts are readily available here in the US and from overseas. All technical documentation is available here on MUD…. So the tough part is sorted.

Only issue will be the 2LT-TE which has a very checkered past. You have a few smart 2L-TE guys here in the forum so you’ll be in good company when the cylinder head needs to be swapped (maybe you got lucky and it’s already cracked and been swapped out).

The rust sucks; but it’s going to live in OH so it will be right at home! 😂😂

Good luck.

Last edited:
You should be good then. Parts are readily available here in the US and from overseas. All technical documentation is available here on MUD…. So the tough part is sorted.

Only issue will be the 2LT-TE which has a very checkered past. You have a few smart 2L-TE guys here in the forum so you’ll be in good company when the cylinder head needs to be swapped (maybe you got lucky and it’s already cracked and been swapped out).

The rust sucks; but it’s going to live in OH so it will be right at home! 😂😂

Good luck.
Thank you, so far it looks like the 2LTE is the main concern. I'll be sure to ask the seller about the maintenance he's done to it.

With that mileage I can almost guarantee that the cylinder head is not the original. From what I've heard and experienced they all crack between 100-150k km. My first Prado had already been done at 160k km, my second Prado cracked at 112k. That said, the current head may or may not be the "upgraded" version; I don't know if there is any way to tell.

Are there any engine photos? If the engine is in stock form you will probably want to plan on an EGR delete, upgraded radiator fan, pyrometer and intercooler to keep the engine cool and happy.

With that mileage I can almost guarantee that the cylinder head is not the original. From what I've heard and experienced they all crack between 100-150k km. My first Prado had already been done at 160k km, my second Prado cracked at 112k. That said, the current head may or may not be the "upgraded" version; I don't know if there is any way to tell.

Are there any engine photos? If the engine is in stock form you will probably want to plan on an EGR delete, upgraded radiator fan, pyrometer and intercooler to keep the engine cool and happy.
This is the only engine bay photo and he hasn't made any mention of an upgraded head but that doesn't mean the previous owner hadn't already swapped it. I'm trying to find info on adding an intercooler but if the head has already been swapped for an aftermarket one, should I still worry about cooling?

11.jpg

Even with a new head an intercooler is a highly beneficial upgrade, it will allow you to drive normal speeds on the highway without fear of overheating. These engines run scary high EGT's from the factory, and intercooling is the best way to reduce EGT's while improving power.

browsed the pictures and i highly suggest , "pass it" . look forward to another in a better condition car.
save the money for a mini vacation .

Hello,

LJ78s have a bad reputation because of the 2L-TE engine.

One picture is not enough when it comes to the engine's outside condition.

Rust seems to be more of an issue than the engine.

There are good threads here about making the 2L-TE engine reliable.

If you are willing to do most of the work by yourself, this truck could be a good project rig. And a good grocery/stuff hauler.

I would try to find out more about the engine's condition. I would also try to get a fair price for this truck.

Juan

For that price and the rust I'd definitely pass on it. There are much cheaper rust free ones here. Local one just sold for about $4k USD with no rust, but need some brake work and IP reseal. That's more the price range I'd look...but I'm handy and cheap, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom