New to me gx470. Build question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I gave my dad my 04 highlander and purchased this garage kept truck off of a family trying to downsize their vehicles

I’m nothing but enthusiastic about this thing and I’ve gone ahead and ordered two things that are oback order/ Australia

Long Range America 33 gal tank from a solid recommendation from this forum. Eta Mid august installed locally. (Won’t DIY that)

and a OME 3 inch heavy lift kit from Rocky-road. Also recommend websit by you guys.

I’m removing the steps tomorrow and do expect to go off road till I delete these airbags and change my wheels and tires.

Question. Anyone install hydraulic bump stops to your truck? And any recommendations?

in time I’m going to add a rear bumper so it will be backheavy with the tank and bumper plus gear.

will upgrade headers to Dough Throley when I replace my timing belt and water pump jazz.

p.s. why does Au get the slickest toyota

FF42A211-3481-4631-A408-34F88CC75B52.jpeg

Depending on your rear spring choice from OME any rear sag may not be noticeable for many years. I have 895e springs and even after 1000 mile trip loaded with over 200# of supplies you couldn't tell it was laden by looking at it.

With that additional weight (300 lbs for the full fuel tank, 200? for the rear bumper with all the do-dads), and the re-proportioning of the weight of the spare tire (up higher, and lever-armed to the very back of the truck), I’d look at installing helper-airbags inside your new springs in the rear. Firestone and Air Lift both make good ones.
You can keep nominal pressure (around 5psi) when lightly loaded, and increase psi as you need depending on load-out.
These things are good at keeping the rear from sagging, and giving some stability back to a heavy truck.
Great for towing also.

Depending on your rear spring choice from OME any rear sag may not be noticeable for many years. I have 895e springs and even after 1000 mile trip loaded with over 200# of supplies you couldn't tell it was laden by looking at it.

ive ordered the heaviest kit they’ve got to offer from Old Man Emu. Thank you for the honest review of your ride and time spent.

With that additional weight (300 lbs for the full fuel tank, 200? for the rear bumper with all the do-dads), and the re-proportioning of the weight of the spare tire (up higher, and lever-armed to the very back of the truck), I’d look at installing helper-airbags inside your new springs in the rear. Firestone and Air Lift both make good ones.
You can keep nominal pressure (around 5psi) when lightly loaded, and increase psi as you need depending on load-out.
These things are good at keeping the rear from sagging, and giving some stability back to a heavy truck.
Great for towing also.

I was thinking if air lift. I’m going to judge the need when I have the other tools and weight added cause you see, my bank budget app notifying me is keeping me and my checking account in check

Man those wheels are god awful hideous, so glad you were able so save this thing and show it its true potential. I would recommend a brake upgrade with all that gear. Im a 3rd gen 4runner guy, that is my upbringing so big brake kits are always my go to. I just bought my GX 2 weeks ago and it came with what looks like some form of power stop drilled and slotted rotors and i have no idea what pads but they are most likely the z36 or z20something pads that they offer. It stops on a dime and is better than some other GX's i have driven. I am also just learning about the GX460 brake upgrade that allows you to run thicker rotors. Either way upgraded brakes are upgraded brakes and its always a good way to spend money and a weekend.

Man those wheels are god awful hideous, so glad you were able so save this thing and show it its true potential. I would recommend a brake upgrade with all that gear. Im a 3rd gen 4runner guy, that is my upbringing so big brake kits are always my go to. I just bought my GX 2 weeks ago and it came with what looks like some form of power stop drilled and slotted rotors and i have no idea what pads but they are most likely the z36 or z20something pads that they offer. It stops on a dime and is better than some other GX's i have driven. I am also just learning about the GX460 brake upgrade that allows you to run thicker rotors. Either way upgraded brakes are upgraded brakes and its always a good way to spend money and a weekend.
In your research, what’s the cost of parts to upgrade to the 460 brakesystem ?

or should I just wait til normal service maintenance to just upgrade the rotors and pads to something slightly beefy

Believe me, my wheels will be changed out. I’m saving aside and waiting to install the OME 3” lift and to mount fresh tires to get alignment on these bitch’n wheels.
my bank account can’t keep up with my taste

In your research, what’s the cost of parts to upgrade to the 460 brakesystem ?

or should I just wait til normal service maintenance to just upgrade the rotors and pads to something slightly beefy

Believe me, my wheels will be changed out. I’m saving aside and waiting to install the OME 3” lift and to mount fresh tires to get alignment on these bitch’n wheels.
my bank account can’t keep up with my taste
I honestly have not looked in to it for the GX since what I currently have is good enough. I did the famous tundra brake upgrade on my last 4runner and it ran me just over $600 for the 2005 13WL calipers, pads, rotors, high temp fluid, and stainless braided lines. I would imagine it cant be much more expensive than that if buying discount parts. My calipers were 135 on amazon.
63A1C2BC-CDCC-4E47-B29A-CB2E05A6EC4B.jpeg
55A77936-FC90-4297-B5EB-CD0A2A73ACFA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom