New (to me) ‘21 HE — Build and Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Been over a decade since I’ve been on these forums. I sold my beloved, Proffitt’s restored ’81 FJ40 here 12 years ago and haven’t been back much since. Been so long that I couldn’t even recover my old username…

Found myself eying Heritage editions this year and quickly pulled the trigger a few months ago on a nice one with with some pre-built additions that I had already wanted. Expensive, yes, but a great starting point for what I’m hoping is a very long-term vehicle. My wife hopes for this as well.

Previous Owner:
Icon Stage 6 kit (guessing a 2” + lift, but have no way to compare)
Ridge Grappler 285/70/18
LRA 12.5 tank (squeaky, unfortunately)
ARB twin compressor under the hood
Prinsu Rack

My Recent Additions/changes:
Slee Step Sliders
ARB drawers
New Dobinson rear coils to combat sagging under tow and camping loads and get back to a slight forward rake that was lost by previous owner
Ride height adjustments in front
1.25” Wheel Spacers (and some fender liner work)
Icon reservoirs moved to better locations, both front and rear
Prinsu accessories added for Maxtrax, awning, etc.
Rear door LED light install (thanks, @Brendan!)

Took it on her maiden voyage last week to San Raffael Swell for a 4-day off-road trip on both sides of I-70 and she was fantastic across the board, especially on some of the more technical terrain. What a beast. Wedge Overlook pics below.

Here’s my question/problem:
At some point when working on the ride height (lowering the front suspension primarily) and relocating the Icon reservoirs, I have developed a strange shimmy in the steering wheel at low-speeds. My local shop thinks it’s driver’s side CV that needs to be rebuilt/replaced, but they are also not positive. Curious if anyone here with a similar lift has experienced the following:

- At low speeds, when first accelerating from a stop, the wheel continuously jerks slightly (feels like running over small rocks or pothholes)
- Stops around 35-40 MPH
- Worse when accelerating heavily, but still stops around 40 MPH
- Doesn’t occur when turning
- Worse when towing

Basically, when the front end is lifted up at lower speeds/acceleration, the shimmy is very evident — especially driver’s side.

Would love any thoughts from this awesome forum before she heads back into the shop next Monday. Obviously, I want to fix it quickly, but am also curious if something in the set up caused this in the first place. I don’t want a reoccurrence, obviously.

Thanks a ton in advance for any advice.

95752ECB-C0D9-4704-944C-0A55B6B22952.jpeg

4ADDC316-1857-4712-AAD3-FCCD9E827398.jpeg

Loose nut on upper or lower ball joints in the front suspension?

Loose nut on upper or lower ball joints in the front suspension?
Just checked - snug as a bug. Thank you for the recommendation though. With the center diff on, I‘m getting some weird noises up front too. Especially on rougher trails when front left articulation is stretched. It’s weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the CV. There's been cases of overstretching the CV upon install. Possibly they did just that and the CV balls and joint didn't get seated back correctly. They should be able to feel and hear the source of the issue with it on a lift?

For the LRA, it should not squeak. If it is, there's some contact going on. It's possible the charcoal canister is contacting. Another likely source is that the installer missed needing to cut off the stock AUX tank bracket from the body frame rails. Clearance is tight, but should be able to see the issue with a scope. Definitely something that should be correctly, especially the bracket steel on steel contact which possible wear a hole in the tank over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the CV. There's been cases of overstretching the CV upon install. Possibly they did just that and the CV balls and joint didn't get seated back correctly. They should be able to feel and hear the source of the issue with it on a lift?

For the LRA, it should not squeak. If it is, there's some contact going on. It's possible the charcoal canister is contacting. Another likely source is that the installer missed needing to cut off the stock AUX tank bracket from the body frame rails. Clearance is tight, but should be able to see the issue with a scope. Definitely something that should be correctly, especially the bracket steel on steel contact which possible wear a hole in the tank over time.
Thank you for the response. Definitely plan on pulling the tank to check for rubbing––from researching others on the forum that have had the same issue, I think it’s the metal on metal like you said.

Will pass your CV thoughts on to the guys too — they are pretty sure that’s the cause (and they are not the original installers).

Slee stopped installing the 12.5 gallon LRA tank, and if I remember correctly, Christo posted here that it was about call backs and noises. The 12.5 gal tank is tucked in snugly, and attached to the frame, while the interference points are on the body. It makes some sense that differences in frame/body movement could result in sounds. The movement of the bullbar relative to the hood gives a good visual of the difference in the movement between these two components.

Eric Sarjeant at Ed Martin posted what his team does to help with this issue - neoprene rubber sheeting between the tank and body at the points where it rubs. I followed their approach and have never had any noises or squeaks from my tank.

Slee stopped installing the 12.5 gallon LRA tank, and if I remember correctly, Christo posted here that it was about call backs and noises. The 12.5 gal tank is tucked in snugly, and attached to the frame, while the interference points are on the body. It makes some sense that differences in frame/body movement could result in sounds. The movement of the bullbar relative to the hood gives a good visual of the difference in the movement between these two components.

Eric Sarjeant at Ed Martin posted what his team does to help with this issue - neoprene rubber sheeting between the tank and body at the points where it rubs. I followed their approach and have never had any noises or squeaks from my tank.
Thanks, Charlie — I just purchased a roll from rubber sheeting warehouse (thanks to a previous post of yours, I think). That tank is such a great modification for this truck, I’m looking forward to just using it and not hearing it…

What a great board. I don't have these issues on my HE, but it's cool to see everyone pitch in to help a guy out. And now I have something to refer to in the event I have some squeaks after Aux tank install. @Ovis congrats on the new rig.
Thanks, @residualboulders — and I agree, I took the info from this thread to my shop and now she’s perfect. CV axle replaced ($ouch) and and squeak-free Aux tank. All is good.

Can’t wait to hit Canyonlands as well. Sweet rig!
Yeah it was amazing. I wanted an aux fuel tank already but after that trip even more. We took White Rim and would have preferred to explore a couple more offshoots of the main trail but was limited by fuel range. Rolled back into Moab on fumes. Scheduled the aux fuel tank install when I got home.

Hey all,

Been over a decade since I’ve been on these forums. I sold my beloved, Proffitt’s restored ’81 FJ40 here 12 years ago and haven’t been back much since. Been so long that I couldn’t even recover my old username…

Found myself eying Heritage editions this year and quickly pulled the trigger a few months ago on a nice one with with some pre-built additions that I had already wanted. Expensive, yes, but a great starting point for what I’m hoping is a very long-term vehicle. My wife hopes for this as well.

Previous Owner:
Icon Stage 6 kit (guessing a 2” + lift, but have no way to compare)
Ridge Grappler 285/70/18
LRA 12.5 tank (squeaky, unfortunately)
ARB twin compressor under the hood
Prinsu Rack

My Recent Additions/changes:
Slee Step Sliders
ARB drawers
New Dobinson rear coils to combat sagging under tow and camping loads and get back to a slight forward rake that was lost by previous owner
Ride height adjustments in front
1.25” Wheel Spacers (and some fender liner work)
Icon reservoirs moved to better locations, both front and rear
Prinsu accessories added for Maxtrax, awning, etc.
Rear door LED light install (thanks, @Brendan!)

Took it on her maiden voyage last week to San Raffael Swell for a 4-day off-road trip on both sides of I-70 and she was fantastic across the board, especially on some of the more technical terrain. What a beast. Wedge Overlook pics below.

Here’s my question/problem:
At some point when working on the ride height (lowering the front suspension primarily) and relocating the Icon reservoirs, I have developed a strange shimmy in the steering wheel at low-speeds. My local shop thinks it’s driver’s side CV that needs to be rebuilt/replaced, but they are also not positive. Curious if anyone here with a similar lift has experienced the following:

- At low speeds, when first accelerating from a stop, the wheel continuously jerks slightly (feels like running over small rocks or pothholes)
- Stops around 35-40 MPH
- Worse when accelerating heavily, but still stops around 40 MPH
- Doesn’t occur when turning
- Worse when towing

Basically, when the front end is lifted up at lower speeds/acceleration, the shimmy is very evident — especially driver’s side.

Would love any thoughts from this awesome forum before she heads back into the shop next Monday. Obviously, I want to fix it quickly, but am also curious if something in the set up caused this in the first place. I don’t want a reoccurrence, obviously.

Thanks a ton in advance for any advice.

View attachment 3012123
View attachment 3012124

Do you still have this rig? What's been your experience with the Icon Stage 6? Would you recommend it or advise to go another direction?

I do! I have had zero issues with the setup at all. I know there have been some gripes with other 200 owners, but I have experienced no problems, and have really loved the ride. I change the settings quite often and have been on numerous multi-day overlanding trips. Going in for Icon service in the next 10K, so we’ll see how well the components have held up.

I do! I have had zero issues with the setup at all. I know there have been some gripes with other 200 owners, but I have experienced no problems, and have really loved the ride. I change the settings quite often and have been on numerous multi-day overlanding trips. Going in for Icon service in the next 10K, so we’ll see how well the components have held up.
Thanks for the info! What are your settings for driving on road, around town (city roads and freeway speeds)?

Thanks for the info! What are your settings for driving on road, around town (city roads and freeway speeds)?
Freeway speeds, I prefer to have it locked down to 1 or 2––at high speeds, much more than a 3 setting, is way too soft (especially with some weight in the vehicle). Around town, I prefer to keep it right in the middle, and crank wide open for most off-road travel.

Freeway speeds, I prefer to have it locked down to 1 or 2––at high speeds, much more than a 3 setting, is way too soft (especially with some weight in the vehicle). Around town, I prefer to keep it right in the middle, and crank wide open for most off-road travel.
Thanks for the info. I know there's a lot of Icon haters on this forum but the generic response is "insta bro shock company" or "my buddy had them and they broke all the time!" - not anyone with any real experience first hand. I found a super low mile 200 series with a stage 6 that was installed 3 months ago and they are including the OEM suspension as well, so if it doesn't work out, I can always go back to stock or sell it and go another route.

I really appreciate your honest feedback!

@Ovis beautiful rig!

EDITED: My HE is a 2020 and was fully built out by ACC Customs by the previous owner--which means I've had a lot to learn from the helpful folks here over the past year.

I also have Icon Stage 6 and run my CDCVs at 3 running empty around town, 4-5 at high speeds, and haven't run anything higher than that even when loaded down for camping. (1 softest and 10 firmest compression). Currently, I have 25k miles of mixed use on them (state forests, trails, mild offroad, daily driving, highway) and figure I'll rebuild them at 50k or so if they need them.

So far, I'm a fan of Icons as I have Fox and Bilstein on other vehicles, and have had Kings--and they are all great as far as my experience has been. Being digressive, they run a bit firmer--but I like that.

Last edited:
@Ovis beautiful rig!

Mine HE is a 2020 and was fully built out by ACC Customs by the previous owner--which means I've had a lot to learn from the helpful folks here over the past year.

I also have Icon Stage 6 and run my CDCVs at 3 running empty around town, 4-5 at high speeds, and haven't run anything higher than that even when loaded down for camping. (1 softest and 10 firmest compression). Currently, I have 25k miles of mixed use on them (state forests, trails, mild offroad, daily driving, highway) and figure I'll rebuild them at 50k or so if needed.
Thank you!!!

Thanks for the info. I know there's a lot of Icon haters on this forum but the generic response is "insta bro shock company" or "my buddy had them and they broke all the time!" - not anyone with any real experience first hand. I found a super low mile 200 series with a stage 6 that was installed 3 months ago and they are including the OEM suspension as well, so if it doesn't work out, I can always go back to stock or sell it and go another route.

I really appreciate your honest feedback!
Sounds like a great rig — I think you’ll dig the Icons. Good luck and post pics if you get it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom