New shocks are in, but it's still not great handling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,

We ended up selling the Sequoia, but just got new Bilsteins put in just before the sale. Stock height on 265/70R17s. 2007.

The original shocks were blown out, or at least one was. So very bouncy ride over bumps. I was hearing a lot of people say that with the Bilsteins, the ride was rather transformed. While the bounciness was gone, I did not find that to be the case. Feels not terribly planted. Not like in any off way, but almost like the chassis is generally flexy and vague. Our 80 series feels much nicer on the road.

Is this the nature of the beast? If I could feel a particular slop or something I could attribute it to that, but nothing seems "wrong" with it, just that maybe it's the nature of the vehicle. Not sure if they vary at all year by year or not.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

We ended up selling the Sequoia, but just got new Bilsteins put in just before the sale. Stock height on 265/70R17s. 2007.

The original shocks were blown out, or at least one was. So very bouncy ride over bumps. I was hearing a lot of people say that with the Bilsteins, the ride was rather transformed. While the bounciness was gone, I did not find that to be the case. Feels not terribly planted. Not like in any off way, but almost like the chassis is generally flexy and vague. Our 80 series feels much nicer on the road.

Is this the nature of the beast? If I could feel a particular slop or something I could attribute it to that, but nothing seems "wrong" with it, just that maybe it's the nature of the vehicle. Not sure if they vary at all year by year or not.

Thanks!
very interesting point of view. I feel complete opposite from my 80 to the Sequoia. Maybe because the 80 was on 35s with the 6-in lift, never felt like I was very in control doing 75 on the interstate or around any turn on a road. Feel completely comfortable in the Sequoia, to me it handles much better.

Yeah, the 80 is pretty much stock so that could be part of it. I bet it'd feel a lot more loose with a 6" lift. It can be pretty jarring on washboard, but it has a really nice and planted feel on the highway.

The 80 weighs a lot more than the Sequoia too. My 1st Gen Sequoia feels squirrelly when I first get back in it after driving my Tundra, but it’s still very planted. It’s steering is quicker than the Tundra wich is lifted 3” on 35x12.50s while the Sequoia has same lift on 33x10.50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom