New Shackles and Bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered some new bushings and shackles for my 67' from downey. My shackles will be 1 1/2 " longer than stock. Will this affect my steering components or anything else that I can look forward to adjusting?

Last edited:
A 33" tire is going to look pretty stupid on a stock truck or one with extended shackles only for a lift. A 2.5" lift will provide some more clearance but still is going to suffer badly when flexed to any degree whatsoever. 33's IMO, really need a 4" lift to look and perform 'better'. 1000's of 'what lift do I need to run xyz tires?' threads out there.

The first two side-view pics of my 40 in the link in my sig line have 33X12.50X15's with approx 2 -2.5" of lift. The latter side view pic with my kid in front has the same tires with 4" SUA springs. You be the judge.

Last edited:
installing those things is going to be one hell of an exercise to gain 3/4" or less of lift. I'd find some used 2.5" springs if I were you and you are dead set on keeping that tire size.

I had 33x9.5 on stock springs...not sure, but think the shackles were oem, no lift...worked like a charm ... no issues...

I had 33x9.5 on stock springs...not sure, but think the shackles were oem, no lift...worked like a charm ... no issues...

do you have any pics?

My first 40 had stock springs and 33x9.5 and they worked great for me. I got teased a bit with the pizza cutters on as they called them.

Not sure if this helps, but I've done several shackle replacements and never spent more than 60-90 minutes doing all 4. But, they were not totally rusted and siezed, either. I found using a bottle jack between spring pack and underside of frame helped when removing the shackle bolts. I never got to use a torch for this task either. Last time I did one, I had air tools and it was over in 30 minutes.
I don't see that you'd save any time or effort by doing a lift, too. If you're doing this to gain lift, than I would reconsider what others said and do a real leaf lift and keep stock height (greasable) shackles. If you're just replacing bad/bent shackles and want to keep those bolts use a big brass drift and BFH.
Have fun.

Oh yeah, if you replace the frame-spring pins, too, I would order new ones and take the grinder to the old ones. It's usually MUCH faster that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom