New Quality Windshield Sources? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

According to the installer, nothing, if you get good Chinese glass. Installer said Chinese-made glass is now OE on many American and Japanese cars. :meh:

I just got back from Economy Glass today, 'cuz I wanted to see if Dirk (owner/installer) had the correct locking strip for the Toyota window gasket I bought. He normally just reuses the chrome ones, he said, and was happy I showed him the aftermarket black one (Percision WLS466). He ordered 100'

Turns out TLC4x4 in Van Nuys sends their rigs there for glass, so he was well aware of the pitfalls of the 60-series installation.

Pix tomorrow.

Here's the deal on auto glass (not just windshields) - it's all about shape & size. PGW is the successor of PPG Auto Glass which was divested by momma PPG cuz it was unprofitable (it was tiny compared to paint - the old Ditzler). They had started joint ventures in China before the split-off & they're allegedly as good as the ones they used to make here. The big difference between a Chinese manufacturer & a JV is mainly due to the US partner.

Before the PPG JV no Chinese auto glass manufacturer had ever made an OEM piece for any car manufacturer, American or Chinese. PPG is OEM to lots of cars so they know how to meet manufacturers' specs. People like the old Safelite also never made OEM glass & only knew how to do knock-offs that only looked similar from 30 feet.

I'd a trust a good shop that's been around a while & has experience with 60s. We did lots of em before I got my 1st 60. But I closed my shop in 2009 due to the economy & now have to rely on friends for auto glass.

Thanks, Tinker! Was hoping you'd chime in ... That about sums it up. And as you undoubtedly know, the owner of the shop kind of cursed a bit (and I had to laugh, from reading all the threads) about how much of a PITA it is to install these windshields, particularly when reusing the chrome molding.

:cheers:

Once I learned how much of a PITA the chrome lock strip was I'd tell customers that I couldn't order the gasket that used it, just the all-black one with the built-in lockstrip. Of course, they were available, I just couldn't bring myself to order 'em.

Yeah, next time (hopefully not!) I use the precision brand self-locking gasket. I think that's what SOR sells, too.

Ok, new window installed. Man, I've got to say what a pleasure it is to not have that old cracked pitted pock-marked window. I can see again! :D And even better, I got glass with the tint strip at the top and that is a very nice thing, here in So. Cal...

But oh boy, what a GIANT PITA it was to install. A guy 30 years in the business and it still took him from 8:30 am to 11:40am, and he's done many many of these windows. The OE gasket with the aftermarket locking strip was ridiculously difficult to install and should be avoided.

Tinker is absolutely right that the thing to do is to install the Precision Brand Self-locking black gasket. Dirk had one there and showed me there is no difference in quality or fit and you shave an hour and a half, or more, off installation. There is no advantage to using the OE gasket.

I learned a bunch of stuff from him and I think it will just be easier to start a new thread with all the info and part #s and pix of comparisons of the gaskets, etc...

I'll post a link here and in the new thread once it's done tonight but just a few teaser pix.

Economy Auto Glass
14557 Calvert St.
Van Nuys, CA
818-785-5933
Dirk C. Owner/Installer, and a Hell of a nice guy. :)

That Chebby, btw, is the work truck for the shop, bought new in 1960, for the business, by Dirk's father.

Dirk removing the chrome locking strips....

Mierda! :mad: Hidden rust ...
IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg
IMG_2668.jpg

I had my (FJ62) front windshield replaced last Feb when the gutters were re-done. The bodyshop guy used his glass guy to replace the windshield. Don't know where it was made but it says "FY" on the passenger lower corner. I was specific with the body guy about wanting an OEM windshield gasket because of horror stories from folks that went aftermarket. Even though I was willing to pay the extra $$ for the OEM gasket, the windshield guy said it was a waste of money and said he'd eat the cost of the whole deal if I had problems with the gasket.

Almost a year later, she's been through snow, ice, rain ,dirt, and sand. No problems. Replacing the windshield was THE best thing I've done.

And because I know someone will ask, it was about $1600 for the whole deal. The body guy removed all of the gutter sealant, prepped the roof, resealed the gutters, painted (perfect match), and had the windshield done. He also buffed the whole truck and touched up some chips with the extra paint. Took about a week.

I think I'll have him do my Datsun.....and maybe the Falcon, too.:)

How did you deal with all the rust under the gasket? From the picture the rust looks very bad...is it really that bad?

Zack

There were a few small holes, but Dirk wire-wheeled what was there, painted the entire window frame with rust converter. I would have liked to weld up the holes, but no welder at the shop. Holes were filled with urethane, anyway.

:steer:
IMG_2712.jpg

But oh boy, what a GIANT PITA it was to install. A guy 30 years in the business and it still took him from 8:30 am to 11:40am, and he's done many many of these windows. The OE gasket with the aftermarket locking strip was ridiculously difficult to install and should be avoided.

I don't understand how you get from "PITA to install" to "it should be avoided". IMO, the more difficult the welt is to install means that it will press on the glass, and body. With more pressure, the gasket will produce a better seal. Just because the Precision gasket is 'beefer' doesn't mean that it will seal better. As you can see by the rust on your truck, which lives in a relatively dry place, even the factory gasket and expansion strip let moisture in to rust.

I don't see how using the factory gasket, with Kevin's welt, would produce a less robust seal than an aftermarket gasket that does not have an expansion strip. Even if it is a PITA to install, I'd rather take a 4 hour installation over having my entire windshield frame rot out.

I don't understand how you get from "PITA to install" to "it should be avoided". IMO, the more difficult the welt is to install means that it will press on the glass, and body. With more pressure, the gasket will produce a better seal. Just because the Precision gasket is 'beefer' doesn't mean that it will seal better. As you can see by the rust on your truck, which lives in a relatively dry place, even the factory gasket and expansion strip let moisture in to rust.

I don't see how using the factory gasket, with Kevin's welt, would produce a less robust seal than an aftermarket gasket that does not have an expansion strip. Even if it is a PITA to install, I'd rather take a 4 hour installation over having my entire windshield frame rot out.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, or one is more or less robust - I don't see where you get that out of what I've said... I think it's all the same when installed correctly. I'm just saying from my 3 hr conversation with a 30 years in the business purfeeesional, that one system, using modern urethane adhesives/sealants, is simply easier and takes less time, that's all.

If you wanna take six days and do it while wearing a thong, have at it ... Just take pix.

:eek:

<snip>

Tinker is absolutely right that the thing to do is to install the Precision Brand Self-locking black gasket. Dirk had one there and showed me there is no difference in quality or fit and you shave an hour and a half, or more, off installation. There is no advantage to using the OE gasket.
</snip>

I'm not saying one is better than the other, or one is more or less robust - I don't see where you get that out of what I've said... I think it's all the same when installed correctly. I'm just saying from my 3 hr conversation with a 30 years in the business purfeeesional, that one system, using modern urethane adhesives/sealants, is simply easier and takes less time, that's all.

If you wanna take six days and do it while wearing a thong, have at it ... Just take pix.

:eek:

From the section quoted above, I thought you were implying that the OE gasket with the locking strip didn't seal as well as the aftermarket gasket. I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to get a little more info as to why you said that the OE gasket should be avoided. Have any other pictures of the aftermarket gasket?

When my windshield was replaced recently, it took a single guy less than 10 minutes to put the gasket on the windshield and throw it in the truck. It would have taken another 30 for the OE lock strip, an additional hour and a half, tops, for the aftermarket lock strip.

Either way, you have a new windshield and it will never leak. That's what's important.

Why do you want to see me in a thong? You SoCal guys are weird:flipoff2:

Why do you want to see me in a thong? You SoCal guys are weird:flipoff2:

LOL!

You're right pix would be no good... I want it on YOUTUBE !

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom