New proud owner of a 2005 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a very long time my good friend who is a avid Landcruiser owner (pretty sure he is on this forum) convinced me to purchase a Landcruiser (even though I resisted for so long). This is my first Toyota product as well as my first 4WD vehicle, 2005 LX 470 in Sand Dollar Pearl with 185,000.
  • Reasoning: My 2005 E55 AMG has been my daily driver for the last 5 years and while I love the car I thought it would be more practical to get a Toyota SUV. I could use the increased space for hauling stuff (mainly car parts for other car), towing the weekend car to track events, perfect for roadtrips, and maybe eventually some off roading adventures.
  • History: I bought the LX from the 2nd owner who has taken care of the vehicle since 2008 and had a large binder full of service records.
  • Features: I am surprised on how many features the LX has compared to my Mercedes AMG of the same year. The LX rides so nice, interior feels great (too bad the infotainment system looks very outdated)
  • Issues: The steering column does not telescope and only tilts. Starting to read on the forum that it was a common enough issue and seen a DIY as well. The brake rotors were previously resurfaced and under freeway speeds the car shakes under braking so my deduction is that rotors are warped.
  • Plans: Knowing me and what I have done to my all my vehicles in the past I know I will come to modify it in someway (hopefully I can hold off for a while). I just want to keep it practical for now with some wheels/tires but I am pretty sure reading through this forum I will find alot more to do.

20220109_123502.jpg

20220109_144720.jpg

👍 👍

Welcome and congrats on the LX. I was eyeing an E55 for a loooong time. Never pulled the trigger, but am now on the long term hunt for an S65 with more space to move the kiddos in carseats around town in something more fun than the LX or my wife's CX5.

Sounds like your LX was cared for and looks plenty clean. Hope it treats you well!

What's the track car?

Welcome and congrats on the LX. I was eyeing an E55 for a loooong time. Never pulled the trigger, but am now on the long term hunt for an S65 with more space to move the kiddos in carseats around town in something more fun than the LX or my wife's CX5.
Thanks! E55 has been a solid car but maintenance has been pricey. The car was modified with all bolt-ons and I was enjoying that 500whp and still getting 20mpg freeway. Sucks was that the back seats didnt fold down when I needed more cargo space. S65 are a beast of a car but they are 10x more expensive to modify and keep running (remember 2 spark plugs per cylinder also).
Sounds like your LX was cared for and looks plenty clean. Hope it treats you well!
I hope so as well. I have seen these SUVs go to 300k+ no issues so I am hoping for that as well.

What's the track car?
2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR...It seems I cant get away from the 2005-2006 era cars lol.

Thanks! E55 has been a solid car but maintenance has been pricey. The car was modified with all bolt-ons and I was enjoying that 500whp and still getting 20mpg freeway. Sucks was that the back seats didnt fold down when I needed more cargo space. S65 are a beast of a car but they are 10x more expensive to modify and keep running (remember 2 spark plugs per cylinder also).

IMG_0007-Edit.jpg

Lol. See my sig line. I am stuck in the late 90s! :hillbilly:

I believe there is a relatively inexpensive widget that helps to update the info/nav screen--not sure what it is as I don't have the nav, but everyone seems to like it.

If the shaking on the freeway is a brake pedal pulse, then you likely have warped rotors--see below for info in this. If it is a higher frequency vibration, it might be your CV joints

Replacing the rotors on the 100 series is a bit more complicated than most vehicles as it requires a bearing repack, a new set of c clips and a few other misc things. I underestimated this job based on a lot of experience with similar vintage Toyotas. It isn't terribly difficult, but if you don't have the correct parts on hand, you'll be repeating the job in 6 months and paying for new bearings as well.

@2001LC has several great maintenance writeups--you can't go wrong following his instructions.

@cruiseroutfit is your best bet for a one stop shop for all the parts you need, great customer service, and knowledgeable parts guys. You can find all of the parts you need other places, but when you factor in the time and misordered parts, you typically come out ahead ordering from them.

Welcome, and great looking rig!

I hope so as well. I have seen these SUVs go to 300k+ no issues so I am hoping for that as well.

2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR...It seems I cant get away from the 2005-2006 era cars lol.

View attachment 2889898
300k for most all 100 series is pretty easy. Assuming you avoid a rare catastrophic failure and keep some amount of any random oil in the engine you should be fine. Upkeep can get pricey with OEM stuff, but probably still well shy of what you're used to on the E55.

AMG stuffs: yeah, I'm sure the S65 would be crazy expensive to keep up. I'd go into it with the mindset that's it's a $250k vehicle that happens to come with a ~$200k discount up front. No mercy on repairs expected. It's an early mid-life crisis of sorts, perhaps. Gotta own a V12 before there's some astronomical tax or ban put in place!

That’s a good looking LX and 73!

Miss mine, hjz73 aka the Mickey Mouse FRP, f&r arb locked full OME suspension
CC2A7B16-BD43-410E-95B8-F7D43558BAD2.jpeg

Welcome

Had an 04 e55 alongside my 2000 cruiser

Have a ‘13 63 wagon fully optioned next to my 06lx

As a diy er using oem parts. All is pretty similar. High end cars. All have been very reliable for old used cars.

Have looked at 65s cause I feel the need to have one at some point in my life;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom