New Problem. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Cruiser took a s*** on me tonight. Just acted like she was out of gas. After trying to get her going for a half hour I called roadside assistance. I walked back to the Cruiser and it started right up no problems. Drove back home after waiting for an hour and half. She died again outside the house. The wrecker shows up "says he didn't know everything I told them, and he brought the wrong tow truck." The Cruiser is too heavy and lifted. He was expecting a modern plastic Cruiser. Then the cruiser starts up again so I parked it in my spot. He said they could send a flatbed in the morning. Sunday morning? Then he asked if I was willing to sell her? He asked me so many times that my ears perked up. Spidey sense. She's all locked up now and has the "club" on and the kill switch. Not for sale or stealing. Murphy's law... got the title in my name this month. I'm not complaining really, I think I know what's wrong. Just a hassle.
I really appreciate the help, I do. She died on me out of the blue. I started it about an hour ago, it started right up ran for about two minutes and died. Started right up again in 30 secs and died. No trouble starting. Brand new sparks and a 1 year old Interstate battery. I think and I'm guessing it's not getting enough fuel. Carb? Fuel pump maybe?

Vapour lock, Maybe?

I had this exact type of problem in my 1988 BJ74 a few years ago. Would start and run fine for 5-10 minutes, then 'run out of fuel'. After sitting for a while, say a few hours, it would start and run again fine. It got progressively worse. After changing fuel filters, fuel pumps, and fuel lines, I blew compressed air backwards through the pick-up in the fuel tank. Truck worked flawlessly after that. There was something clogging up the pick-up in the tank... the truck would run for a few minutes on the fuel in the lines/filters, but then run out of fuel. Fuel would leak through the blockage in the tank after a while, and the truck would run again for a while. Took me a year to figure this out.

For you, I would suggest you change all the filters, test your fuel pump, look for damaged/pinched lines, look for places in your fuel lines that are close to hot things like exhaust manifolds that might be causing vapour lock, and clean-out the pick-up in your tank.

I replaced the distributor cap and air filter (the air filter was heavy with water) but it didn't help. She tries really hard to start. But I noticed the top most fuel filter is almost all air. I think that's the problem. Air is getting in. So, I think your'e right. Tomorrow I'll have her towed. I tried three nights ago but they brought a tow truck that couldn't handle the weight. I told them it wasn't a modern Cruiser but they got their signals crossed.

I had a similar issue with my LJ70. The fuel filter was getting clogged and starving the engine of fuel. When it sat for a while, the debris settled and fuel got through and allowed the engine to run for a while. The culprit was a hole in the fuel filler neck from the gas tank. Issue was resolved when the fuel filler neck was replaced (and debris cleared, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom