New OEM brakes and rotors, noise at low speed, now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced both front and rear rotors and pads - all OEM Toyota. Front calipers were a little sticky so I put new rebuilt ones in.
Brakes work great and I’ve been driving around for about a month. However, there is a brake squeak when it gets below 10 mph to a stop. I was hoping that the noise would go away after wearing them in a little but no luck. I’ve done a couple of hard brakes just to bed them in but the squeak is still there.
All the shims and anti rattle plates are in correct but I did notice the shop didn’t put brake grease behind the pads. Noise only seems to be coming from up front.
Any suggestions?

any chance of inspection? may there is a trapped chip stuck in thw grove on the pad? Since a shop did it, I would inspect once more. Are the wheel bearings tight and no play?

It’s not wheel bearing noise, it only does it while coming to a stop once it goes below 10 mph. And if I pump the brakes at that range it only squeaks as I press in on the brakes. No noise in between.
I’ll probably have to pull the wheels off and inspect this weekend. I can’t remember if the OEM pads have the rubber shims built into them or not.

Just replaced both front and rear rotors and pads - all OEM Toyota. Front calipers were a little sticky so I put new rebuilt ones in.
Brakes work great and I’ve been driving around for about a month. However, there is a brake squeak when it gets below 10 mph to a stop. I was hoping that the noise would go away after wearing them in a little but no luck. I’ve done a couple of hard brakes just to bed them in but the squeak is still there.
All the shims and anti rattle plates are in correct but I did notice the shop didn’t put brake grease behind the pads. Noise only seems to be coming from up front.
Any suggestions?

Had several ‘mystery brake noises’ in the past:

Front: Heat shield was rubbing on rotor after brake and suspension work by Independent Mechanic – who acknowledged and fixed the problem and noise stopped. How the shield came to be in contact with the rotor remained a mystery.

Rear: Trainee Mechanic did not understand that bellcranks at the rear hubs (for parking brakes) need to be adjusted after fitting new rotors – not just adjustment at the cable adjuster behind rear differential. Head Mechanic fixed the problem.

This is the 100 series technical forum. Standard operating procedure is to rebaseline the whole rig and THEN address your current issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom