New Noise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's the short side. Being perfectly honest my main concern is getting it home right now. Just a little leary about driving it with stuff possibly floating around.

it'll get home

Made it home so now time to tear it down and see what all is broken.

and why. I am curious to see what caused this. You checked checked the wheel bearings so it doesn't sound like they locked up.

Wheel bearings even if destroyed wouldn't disable the drive line. When are you working on this teardown?

I was thinking Thursday night you want to come up and help? My uneducated vote is the birf.

I was thinking Thursday night you want to come up and help? My uneducated vote is the birf.

nope. WEC meating is Thursday and i'm trying to get as much help on 'Bob' as i can... now, Saturday or Sunday would've been different... not a guarantee, just a possibility depending on how knee deep i am in cutoff wheels...

I think you should tear into it Thrusday too... that gives you Friday to order whatever you need and have it coming... Monday is a holiday remember.

Well crap, doesn't hurt to ask I guess. What am I looking at time wise. A couple of hours or half the night?

Depends on how deep you get..... since somethings broken i doubt you'll get it back together the same night... you'll be waiting on parts.
Since you've never been in it, i'd say a couple of hours to get it broke down... it's a slow process, but easy.

At the moment I think I'm going to be two wheeling it as it's my only vehicle so. Hopefully I can get it back together in a timely manner.

You can pull the one side that is giving you grief and not even touch the other side for now.
Do you drive on the interstate to work? if so then you will sling dif oil out the axle hole and into your knuckle thus causing massive weeping all over your rotor. it does this because you no longer have the axle shaft preventing the dif oil from escaping.
Massive weeping = oil dripping all over and onto wherever you park. This happened to me while i waited on the birf that Matt rented me that I broke for him (chinese birf). Which may be your probelm even though you say it came from Slee

IF you need a birf broken, I can vouch for Eric. He will do the job right the first time with a quick turnaround to boot.

LOL. guaranteed within two weeks!

You can pull the one side that is giving you grief and not even touch the other side for now.
Do you drive on the interstate to work? if so then you will sling dif oil out the axle hole and into your knuckle thus causing massive weeping all over your rotor. it does this because you no longer have the axle shaft preventing the dif oil from escaping.
Massive weeping = oil dripping all over and onto wherever you park. This happened to me while i waited on the birf that Matt rented me that I broke for him (chinese birf). Which may be your probelm even though you say it came from Slee

if you pull the front shaft and the drive flange on the other side you should be able to drain the diff oil since the front diff will not be spinning.

if you pull the front shaft and the drive flange on the other side you should be able to drain the diff oil since the front diff will not be spinning.

nice call... I shoulda done that the week I had one side out!

Okay so do I need to pull the inner axle also?

Pull busted birf on passenger side
pull drive flange on driver side?
Drop drive shaft
Drain diff?
Engage CDL
Drive in two wheel drive

And I agree that is was probably chinese or something i just ordered it through Slee so where ever he gets them. Hell it's been right at a year so I wonder if there is a warranty? I don't have any paperwork so I guess it doesn't matter. I remember the package came from CV Unlimited and the pasking list said Newfield if the means anything.

newfield isn't chinese.
You haven't pulled it to even see if it's the birf though... pull it and see. The axle shaft is connected to the birf... it'll come out with it.
WHo installed it? I wonder if they did it correctly with the c clip.

Okay so new question I decided to go ahead and start tonight. How do I stop the hub from spinning if nothings catching? Got the drive flange and bearing nuts off but before that the hub just spin.

besides the brake cailper... that's all that needs to come out before the rotor/hub comes off... BUT the inner bearing race may be stuck on the spindle so a very large TUG may be necessary.... this means the inner bearings are toast and possibly the spindle... and good mechanics can screw this up as I have had a VERY reputible cruiser guy screw up inner bearings like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom