New Mud Terrain tire option from Cooper - under $200! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure how these are flying under the radar. They seem to check all the boxes (129Q, E rated, etc.) and well under $200! Heck, the 295/70/18 size I've been considering going with are $186/tire. I don't know anyone running these, but the reviews I've found so far all seem to indicate this being a solid option for a "daily" MT tire. Anyway, thought I'd give others a heads-up if they weren't already aware of this MT option from Cooper.

Moved my post to not clog up the other poster's thread.

Wow... I figured these would be $225 for a 35/12.5R17 given the price for the link you posted. No they are even cheaper at 195. These seem like a much better option than the Kenda Klevers I was considering.

Just a heads up that the Walmart price is awesome. This same tire is 278 from Tire Rack.

Been around for a couple years already. Dedicated MT so not sure how many will run it seeing as most DD their trucks. Maybe I am more in the know since I love Cooper tires and really won't go with anything else if I have the choice.

Personally I am waiting for the revamp of the S/T Maxx to add a dedicated mileage warranty to it. Looks like they are building similar patterned tires for Dick Cepek and Mickey Thompson with this Hybrid Tread tire. Both of those have 45k mileage warranties. I had the S/T Maxx on BeBe and absolutely loved them, good snow driving, incredible pavement manners, great off-road, ice was on par with just about anything else and did great in the rain/wet. Only thing was they last all of about 30k miles.

Been around for a couple years already. Dedicated MT so not sure how many will run it seeing as most DD their trucks. Maybe I am more in the know since I love Cooper tires and really won't go with anything else if I have the choice.

Personally I am waiting for the revamp of the S/T Maxx to add a dedicated mileage warranty to it. Looks like they are building similar patterned tires for Dick Cepek and Mickey Thompson with this Hybrid Tread tire. Both of those have 45k mileage warranties. I had the S/T Maxx on BeBe and absolutely loved them, good snow driving, incredible pavement manners, great off-road, ice was on par with just about anything else and did great in the rain/wet. Only thing was they last all of about 30k miles.

It sounds like the M/T is a new for 2019 design?

It sounds like the M/T is a new for 2019 design?

It is. Cooper launched this MT tire at 2019 SEMA. Their intention was to create a more "everyday" type of MT tire. That's according to their own description.

Soooo, the price has me thinking about doing this. How do people feel about Walmart for tire installation? It would seem tough to beat 25 for a warranty and installation.

Interesting. In the video towards the end he says "this is essentia
Soooo, the price has me thinking about doing this. How do people feel about Walmart for tire installation? It would seem tough to beat 25 for a warranty and installation.

I wouldn't have issues with them installing my tires. But, I'd watch them every step of the way....same thing I do at DiscountTire.

Listening closer to the video, it sounds like he's saying it's a 2-ply sidewall that is within less than 5% durability of their 3-ply sidewall MT tires. Still seems viable to me.

I am finding nothing on the sidewalls of these tires. Anyone have any info or personal experience? The weight is only 64 lbs for a 35/12.5R17. That is on the low end. This has me wondering if Cooper decided to skimp on the sidewall plys.

*Edit* I just saw that geanes posted above while I was writing this up. Going to keep looking.

The video is set to start at the time that they begin discussing this tire at SEMA. I am not in love with how the Cooper representative keeps making it seem like they cut corners on this new tire to make it a "value offering".

I have personally had the S/T Maxx, HTP, AT3 4S and AT3 XLT. Love all of them. The S/T Maxx is definitely the more aggressive handling and looking of all of the, got a good 30k out of them before they needed replacement.

The HTP were great road tires and got a good 50k out of them, super quiet, super responsive and supple on the road. Handle the snow, ice, rain, etc. with ease. When we replaced I wanted something a little more aggressive looking on the '11 4Runner.
Then, upgraded to the AT3 4S and have been running those for a couple years now. Great road manners, handles snow beautifully along with ice and rain. Offroad the few times I have taken it on the dirt has been good, but haven't done anything remotely difficult as this is the wife's DD. Towed a 4500lbs trailer with them in 2018 and did perfectly the entire time.

Started BeBe (FJ60) off with the S/T Maxx and those lasted close to 7yrs of pretty hard use. But that was average of 4500 miles a year, so ultimately I got right around 30k out of them before they needed replacing (that was Oct. this year prior to winter). They were phenomenal on and off road, handled snow, rain, mud, dirt, and pavement with ease and were SUPER quiet on the pavement. Never noticed any sort of MT hum until the very end.
Then I decided that I wanted something that had a bit longer treadlife than the S/T Maxx but still had an aggressive look to it so I went to the AT3 XLT. Only had them for about 6wks before I sold BeBe but they were great in everything that I threw at them. Funny thing was that they had a bit stiffer ride feel to them than the S/T Maxx but both were rated at Load E tires with the XLT being about 5lbs lighter per tire. Never got them to do any serious off-roading but I am sure they would have been phenomenal. Little bit of rain and snow that they saw were of little issue, they were surefooted the entire time.

New 100 series (Alita) has Falken Wildpeak AT3W on her and they have been great thus far. Still doing testing but they are definitely stiffer feeling Load E tires than the S/T Maxx was on the 60 (BeBe). Regardless, I am sure whatever Cooper tire you go with you will be satisfied. However, like every other purchase of this type, go into it knowing what you are getting and not expecting more than you should get. The Evolution line, as stated by them, is their "value" line. Thus there will be corners cut and things won't be quite as nice as if you had spent a couple hundred extra, but tires is one of the things that I do not skimp on as that is 100% you main contact with your traction. Skimping here (like so many that have done with tires like the TreadWright brand) will and can easily lead to disaster.

I recently bought 35/1250/17 from Walmart for $195. They installed and balanced fine. Haven't had the off road yet but they are quiet on the highway. This was my first set of tires installed by Walmart. I was concerned. There were no issues with the install but they did manage to rip a chunk out of the sidewall with their machine near the bead while taking off the old tires.

20200312_175710.jpg

I've had them out crawling and they've done great aired down to about 15psi. Run great on the highway, been rotating every 5k and aren't too loud in the highway yet. I'd buy them again if I found them at the same price

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between these and the Discoverer XLT for my DD '97 LC. I initially wanted to go with the AT as I'lll be mostly on the road, but the MT is strangely $40 cheaper per tire. Also, they both seem to have a 2-ply sidewall, so they should have similar durability.

I am looking at these tires as well. How are they holding up? It will be our daily GX460 at 285/70/17. I lilke the look of the Cooper Evolution MT's a lot but wasn't certain on the longevity of them.

I've had Cooper AT's on my 3/4 ton Dodge truck and wasn't happy with them. Pulling heavy trailers on rough roads they just didn't hold up. My local tire dealer in a very small town farming area dealer used to recommend them but now recommends Falken. My favorite was the Maxxis MT-753 but can't get them around here anymore. The 753 was a tough tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom