New Member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello y’all I have been a long time lurker on this site and just recently joined as a member and wanted to introduce myself I hope this is the right way to go about that as I am new to posting on the forums and I am not certain. I would like meet some members in the Seattle’ish area that are active in overlanding. So I can maybe tag along on some local expeditions. I have been dreaming about a trip up to dead horse, as well as doing the WABDR & OODR and would like any advice you have. I also hope to seek technical and opinion advice during the build I am starting on my vehicle that I plan to post as soon as I get started.
I am new to the Overland world but I am an avid hiker and outdoorsman so this seems like the next logical step as I am getting too old and fat to backpack. Plus I really don’t like sleeping on the ground anymore either.
A little bit about me. I am born and bred Washingtonian and I live in the most beautiful part of the state (Puget sound). I am a licensed ham radio operator (KF7ZFO) and plan to incorporate that hobby into my overland adventures. I am also a novice astronomy geek, which is kinda why I want to get into overlanding as well since the best places to see the stars can’t be reached in a Honda Civic :)
I purchased an unlocked 1994 FZJ80 a little over two years ago and mostly just fixed little things while I daily drove it to and from work.

Lately I have been slowly accumulating all the parts and drawing up my build plan to modify my dear “slepnir” into the ultimate multi day off-road camper.
I read about and watch on YouTube all the amazing routes, adventures and vehicles and on those sites I see that overlanding is really taking off in the US which is exciting as it really looks like a lot of fun.
Sadly I just blew the motor in my LC a couple weeks back but ol’Sleppy had 439k miles so I’d say it was time.
This however was not such a bad thing as it was the push I needed to get to work on all the mods and upgrades I have been planning most importantly the Vortec/LS swap I need to do now. I am also planning to do a near full resto on the whole vehicle upgrading the running gear and adding all of the features I will need, and I hope to pick your brains on my build as I go to avoid noobie mistakes and what not. Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of such an amazing group, from what I’ve seen so far y’all are really passionate about overlanding and full of knowledge!

Hello y’all I have been a long time lurker on this site and just recently joined as a member and wanted to introduce myself I hope this is the right way to go about that as I am new to posting on the forums and I am not certain. I would like meet some members in the Seattle’ish area that are active in overlanding. So I can maybe tag along on some local expeditions. I have been dreaming about a trip up to dead horse, as well as doing the WABDR & OODR and would like any advice you have. I also hope to seek technical and opinion advice during the build I am starting on my vehicle that I plan to post as soon as I get started.
I am new to the Overland world but I am an avid hiker and outdoorsman so this seems like the next logical step as I am getting too old and fat to backpack. Plus I really don’t like sleeping on the ground anymore either.
A little bit about me. I am born and bred Washingtonian and I live in the most beautiful part of the state (Puget sound). I am a licensed ham radio operator (KF7ZFO) and plan to incorporate that hobby into my overland adventures. I am also a novice astronomy geek, which is kinda why I want to get into overlanding as well since the best places to see the stars can’t be reached in a Honda Civic :)
I purchased an unlocked 1994 FZJ80 a little over two years ago and mostly just fixed little things while I daily drove it to and from work.
View attachment 1996711
Lately I have been slowly accumulating all the parts and drawing up my build plan to modify my dear “slepnir” into the ultimate multi day off-road camper.
I read about and watch on YouTube all the amazing routes, adventures and vehicles and on those sites I see that overlanding is really taking off in the US which is exciting as it really looks like a lot of fun.
Sadly I just blew the motor in my LC a couple weeks back but ol’Sleppy had 439k miles so I’d say it was time.
This however was not such a bad thing as it was the push I needed to get to work on all the mods and upgrades I have been planning most importantly the Vortec/LS swap I need to do now. I am also planning to do a near full resto on the whole vehicle upgrading the running gear and adding all of the features I will need, and I hope to pick your brains on my build as I go to avoid noobie mistakes and what not. Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of such an amazing group, from what I’ve seen so far y’all are really passionate about overlanding and full of knowledge!
Welcome! Sucks to hear about your motor, but at 439k you certainly got your use out of it. Only suggestion I'd make is to do a full rebuild/turbo set up over going with a swap. You will end up with more power to the wheels (over most commonly swapped motors) and arguably better reliability in the long run.

I had considered doing the turbo in the beginning but eventually decided to go with a low mileage vortec 5.3/4L60e, as I got a good deal on them. Also with the turbo kits that I could find starting at $5k, before the rebuild on the 1fz/trans/tcase I was already several thousands of dollars ahead with the vortec swap on paper at least. I know the turbos are super awesome and the 1FZFE turbos tend to be the most reliable gas turbo motors on the market. However I needed to keep the whole swap and rebuild under $7-8k which is about where I am on track for so far on my swap with the vortec/trans/tcase rebuild including adapters/wiring and misc parts I am a little over $5k so far. Thanks for the welcome and suggestion I appreciate any advice you have.

I had considered doing the turbo in the beginning but eventually decided to go with a low mileage vortec 5.3/4L60e, as I got a good deal on them. Also with the turbo kits that I could find starting at $5k, before the rebuild on the 1fz/trans/tcase I was already several thousands of dollars ahead with the vortec swap on paper at least. I know the turbos are super awesome and the 1FZFE turbos tend to be the most reliable gas turbo motors on the market. However I needed to keep the whole swap and rebuild under $7-8k which is about where I am on track for so far on my swap with the vortec/trans/tcase rebuild including adapters/wiring and misc parts I am a little over $5k so far. Thanks for the welcome and suggestion I appreciate any advice you have.
No worries, I think you will in the end be very surprised at the total cost of your swap if you do it right. All the miscellaneous things tend to add up fast. The 5.3 is a good motor though, will most certainly suit you well.

No worries, I think you will in the end be very surprised at the total cost of your swap if you do it right. All the miscellaneous things tend to add up fast. The 5.3 is a good motor though, will most certainly suit you well.
Definitely keeping an eye on the little things and I know it will probably go over budget especially because I really want it to look and function as factory as possible which everyone keeps telling me “that ain’t gonna be cheap” :confused:

Welcome to Mud! I'm from the big island up north of you. But this is where I'd start to look for locals. Each area has it's
locals and you probably live within pub driving distance of one or two.

Since you are in need, before you start mucking around with engine swaps. Call this guy, no one better for
advice and knowledge close to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom