New member Stevo, his 75 Series, and trip ahead! G'Day! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day G'Day, My names stevo and I have just purchased a 1985 HJ75 Troopy and recently joined these forums, so I thought I would introduce myself a little.

Born in Sydney, straight after HSC, landed a scholarship in computer science but my heart lay elsewhere and took off to Alice Springs, actually canceling my schoolies to start work for Rick Chambers Engineering, I few into town, landed the job, got straight back on the plane and in my old hilux and off I went just me and my RSPCA dog Max. I did all sorts of work from town work, to rural work, desert work, pretty much looking after the roads in the outback.. It was an amazing , then moved up north QLD Townsville doing similar work, then back to Sydney. Due to injurys im settling down doing a IT networking university course & am about to hit the road again, completing my studies with a laptop and trecking it around his beautiful country having lined up a farm in the highlands to help harvest their grapes vineyards, make my way to the Finke Desert Race and the Big Red event for next year. So over the next 4-5 months before I take off, I have a Troopy to give some TLC too, a few nice tweaks, cut some rust out, build some draws, work out my suspension issues, and set up for traveling / studying.

But enough about me, lets talk about Floppy.

I bought Floppy after a 2 year dry spell with no 4x4. I had my 80 series stolen, rolled, set on fire, and my brand new 35" tyres stripped + all my gear taken before they lit it on fire.

After working at the NSW ports for 2 years I have had enough with Sydney and its time to hit the road again.. Why not study as I go. Due to a rugby league knee injury and 10% cartlidge in my right knee, pain at work, it was time I looked at the future and changed careers and set my self up for the long run.

coversolid.jpg

1985 HJ75 Troopy.
2005 1HD-FTE Engine, Gearbox, Transfer case.
Main battery + Deep Cycle battery
2 x 33" BFG tyres on front, new new.
2 x 33" Bald coopers on back.
1 x 33" Mickey Tom spare also bald.
ARB Bull Bar + Wire Winch.

There is a issue tho, the leafs have sagged, and the diff hits on the sump at full compression, Sadly the current measurement between the diff and the sump is 5 cm !.

1.jpg

The current suspension is a 2" iron man lift.

I spent this week going around asking shops for quotes on :
* 3" Leaf lift kit (harder to come by than 2")
* Relocate front diff forward 1" (via drill / reheat method instead of 180 rotation on the front springs)
* Possible sump notch (cut/reweld)
*** in the process of figuring out weights for what leaf spring I should suit*
I have contacted snake racing, carrel springs, Sydney suspension, Dobs, and no one seems to want to do the job.

Going to stay away from ironman due to hearing nothing good about them, perhaps EFS. Maybe you guy's can help me out with this issue? I would love to hear from you guys!! I have never played around with leaf springs before, would really appreciate some feedback!.

I have a engineer ready to go to engineer a 3" lift on 35"s soon as I get it done. Guard issue will probably have to be sorted for full flex, a decent -negative offset.. maybe even wheels spacers for if I do a few decent days out bush and take them back off again when I hit the black stuff..

Not sure what is best, 3" leafs, or 2" leafs and 1" body.. any opinions?

Mod list to do, probably in this order (I lost EVERYTHING! when my 80 was stolen, a good 10 years of accumulation).. Any feed back is appreciated.

*Recovery gear - Purchased
*Air Compressor - Purchased
* Shovel - Purchased
*Suspension - Having trouble finding a place who wants to do it.
*35" mud tyres x 6 good -negative offset. Thinking BFG KM2s
* Recovery points - Not sure what to do about these for a HJ75! There is no where suitable ??
*Crawler Gears
* Rear Locker then front - I HOPE to get old cable lockers. I would really love them. If not maybe a Detroit/tjm rear, ARB front (2nd compressor would come in handy, I have been told you cant winch with Elockers they drain and disengage, and lokka lokkas can be annoying)
*Diff gear ratio - the 75 came out with 32" tyres I think I worked out 5.29 off the equation would be best suited, correct me if wrong
* Cut rust out, Replace roof, Windshield, Respray.
*UHF 80 channel
*roof rack
* Light Bar + Distance Spotties + cab lightning + Lights running down the foot steps + Light for the rear.
* Replace the inside wood with marine ply up the sides.
* Turn rear door into compartment area + Fold down table with marine ply both sides.
* Create back drawer system, 2 parts. Back draws and removable front for if I put the 2nd row of seats back in. Tie down points , nothing wasted, fold up side area's around the wheel arches, Pretty much setting this up for a mattress ontop, pull over at night, go to the tree, then to the back, and sleep within minutes.
* Inverter + waterproof compartment for my Laptop / Studies. I only require internet to get my module, then can go for 3-5 weeks with no internet required, and then just travel out to internet again to submit and receive next module.
*awning + sides
*tarps
*PVC Pipeing for washing clothes attached to roof rack
*3 Jerrys of water
*1 Jerry of diesel

I will be taking
*Oils,
*coolant,
*Break Fluid
*Engine hoses,
*Belts,
*Bearings,
*Tools (just what suites the vehicle and what sizes I need), socket set, long series spanners, hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, different tapes, multimeter, wire,
*Wire,
*wd40
*grease
*zip ties
*jumper leads - to help others out.
*fence wiring
*grease gun
*Rope
*fire extinguisher
*padlocks
*first aid kit
*mozzie stuff
*1hd-fte and 75 series manuel loaded on my computer. (already have a lot of handy tips/situational advice / procedures / UHF channel list / help service numbers / free camp sites /what to do incase of roll over
*tapes,
*fuses,
*12 V Rachet gun + accessories,
*Air Comp, Front Locker Comp,
*tyre repair
*High lift + Winch access
*2 sets of max trax + replaceable nobs
*knead it
*Nice size camping tent for me and my 12 year old dog for extended stays.
*12v coffee maker,
*Travel oven,
*All the camping cooking goodies,
*Fishing rods,
*External HDD to backup my studys and store in the top compartment in waterproofed area incase something happens to my laptop.
*Spare Cheap $20 Phone pre loaded with credit for a year, Emergency incase something happens to my Microsoft Lumina (operates on windows 8.1, My laptop will run windows 10 but be running virtualization of windows 8.1 and windows server 2012 R2 for my studies, so this phone is great with cloud service technology and syncing with both my PC and the university/Computer power industries who provide the course)
* Little solar power USB Charger + Panel, aswell as additional cords for phone/laptop incase anything happens.
* Huge Eski + Cool Box (if I can find dry ive in a local town before I head bush ill use it in the cool box, an last upto 10 days if looked after right.
*Fishing rod + Gear + Licence
*go pro
*Torches
*Juicer - I love juicing fruit, so easy

*the thunder box chair
IMG_2956.jpg

* Contemplating taking my light weights bench, dumbells, skipping roap, small speed ball.

* hide a spare key in the car

The list goes on and on, however i'll leave it at that for tonight.

I would really appreciate any feedback on :
*my suspension issue
*best anti theft, immobilizer? kill switch? that fancy GSP tracking stuff where you can shut down the car from a PC or phone? The Spray which lets police idenfity it on the spot?
* is a mud anchor any good ? or will the old shovel, some max tracks do the job

Anyways guys, Keen to hear from ya's so grab a beer and mash some keys ill be leaving from Sydney, down to Vic highlands, then across to SA, then up thru alice/birdsville way, then might go visit WA, Studying and living it up with my 12 year old mate Max.

Cheers guys,

Kind Regards,
Stevo

Gday Stevo,
Welcome to Mud and I gotta say nice rig, you'll love that engine in there. If you don't know already, this is a worldwide forum and we do have a few Aussies on here who can help shed some light on your issues.

The diff hitting the sump is normally a non issue, but seeing yours is an 85 model with the large 9.5" full size front diff, this may be the problem. Most of the 1hd transplants are done on 1990+ cruisers with the smaller 8" high pinion front diff, so they may have more clearance in this area. When running higher springs, you could extend the bump stops until it doesn't hit.

As for spring packs, I've had good luck with Old Man Emu and EFS, One of my Tough Dog sets sagged really bad, but the replacements they gave me have been fine so far, and I wouldn't put anything Iron man back on my truck as I've had absolutely no luck with their products. On another note, I had my OEM spring packs reset with 2 more leafs and 3" higher, which worked really well. They could set them to any height you wanted.

Can't help you on the immobilizer stuff, but I'll be looking for the same when my project gets on the road. Ps. Sorry to hear about the 80, thieves are nothing but scum.

Sounds like it's gunna be a great trip your going one. Have fun

Welcome Steve
Everyone I know who ran old man emu leaf springs where happy with there choice.

Some interesting stuff! Will be good to hear how you get on with you suspension!

Welcome Stevo. You are an ambitious feller. Good luck with the project!

Welcome mate if you have the money go old man emu if you can't get 3" lift get a 2" lift and run extended shackles. I had tough dog on my 80 series and it was great mine got stolen too and was never found. Don't do a body lift they can cause problems. As for the immobilizer I ran a gprs tracker in my hj75 ute and it had a kill switch wired in so you could call it to shut it down and you could set it so if the vehicle moved more than 40 meters the GPS would start send out text messages and you could set it to sensitivity so you close the car door or sit in it and it will go off. I bought mine off eBay but it will not work by the end of next year as the 2g cell phone net work will be shut down but there are new models available

You could buy or hire a sat phone or hf radio if you don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Sound alike it will be a great trip. I'm going to do the same one day with my red cattle dog I know at least my ute won't be stolen if he's in it

Nice rig there,
Was the hdfte from a 100 series maybe wrong shape sump?

Cheers for the reply's guys !

That explains it Locked79 - I'm having a lot of trouble with suspension shops here in Sydney, some don't want to do the job and some are just messing me around.

Today I went in to enquire about a 3" EFS leaf spring kit installation and moving the front diff forward 1" and fit 35" tyres but the bloke said I would roll it ???? and then told me to just go 4" lift kit on 33" tyres?????????????? He also quoted me 4 grand for the 4" lift kit installed !!!!!

Rkn's I can't fit 35 inch on the car without a 4" lift kit ? ( road limits over here let me install 35s on a 3" engineered or 33s on a 4"

3" with 35s is doable with 1" forward diff relocation ?

Clint I'm not sure what rig the engine came out of initially..

Chappohhj47 that sounds like a mint security idea ! cheers

An easy way to tell the difference between the 79 and 100 1hd-fte is if you look at the rocker cover near the oil cap the 79 will say "24 valve turbo" and the 100 will say "24 valve Intercooler turbo" and of coarse the 100 "should" have the intercooler installed.

Also Snake Racing sell relocation plates which moves the diff forward either 1/2" or 1" depending on orientation of the plate. I can't really help you with the tyre clearance on 35s but I think a 3" lift would be enough with minor "massaging". As for rolling it, depends how you drive I suppose. I rolled both my 75s on a 2" lift. They are fairly narrow. Go for -44 wheels for a bit of extra width and stability.

The price of leaf packs have gone through the roof also. Shop around for the best prices.

Welcome to the board Stevo :cheers:
Would like to see the pic of your engine bay

Nice rig stevo! Looking forward to how this turns out. Did you purchase the troopy with the transplanted running gear or did you do it/have it done yourself. Love the name... keep postin pics of work progress, interested to know what you do for the interior.

The troopy already had the engine and running gear installed, im guessing the guy sold it due to the sump issue as it has been pretty hard trying to source a solution for it !

It seems all 3" suspension kits here in Aus for leaf springs are the 2" kit with extended shackles to make 3" , which are by no means legal.

So now im looking to go 2" lift, move the diff forward 1" and notch the sump. As I can't see any other option viable / legal.

I read somewhere today that old man emu and tuff dog produce their springs at the same place? Having said this does anyone know if it is true ? Also if they are actually the same spring or different springs manufactured at the same location?
I have read reports that OME is the best option, and that Tuff dog sag early in life?

Really keen on some feed back !!

Soooo now it looks like im going 2" lift, 1" diff relocation, and a notch on the sump. Shouldn't have to cut/reweld to much out of the sump, not sure how it plays around with oil and dip stick levels. I have looked at the blue prints and the front of the sump is pretty open and its safe to notch.

Btw here is a picture of the engine she's pretty tight in there, and no intercooler yet so im guessing its either a 79 or 100 series 1HD-FTE? were these put out with less power than the intercooled versions?
engine.jpg

Maybe the diesel 79 series with their coil front diff have a different shape agin to the 75 series diesels 80s and 105s and 100s
You could find a sump of a 1hz 75 series ute or troopy that has to be your best chance
I did chat to a guy with a hzj75 having a look over his ute he had installed a hj75 front diff with no clearance issues he mentioned.
Maybe someone could check part nos on sumps

Hmm where would I go to look at different sumps? Just walk into Toyota and talk to their parts department ?

The sump dips down like 1-2 cm and then a few more cm to where the point of contact is, then further back into the sump dips down once more to where the oil drain plug is..

So after the initial minor dip, it dips down 2 more times. 1st big dip is where it contacts the diff as in pictures

1.jpg

3.jpg

in regards to OEM suspension, they say they only do the 2" kit, but I can ask for them to reset the spring pack to 3" can I?? It seems all the 3 " lift kits around are only 2" kits with the 1" extended shackles.. which are not legal.

I can get 3" lift and 35s engineered but no extended shackles.

Every company I phone up say "sorry mate we only have 2" lift kits"

So perhaps like Clint mentioned I should look at pre 90 hj75s with 1hz sumps? Are they the same volume ? is there anywhere I can view all the different sumps which fit this motor having trouble finding pictures. Cheers guys

What would give less chance of roll over, 2" lift on 33s or 3" lift on 35s ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom