New Member of the Family (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over a month ago I posted that I was starting the search for a 200. Yesterday, I found what I was looking for!

PXL_20201013_023531568.MP.jpg

The newest member of my family is a 2018, Pearl White LC200!

PXL_20201013_150646266.jpg

PXL_20201013_145920756.jpg

The very long story is that in August 2019, my 2002 Chevy Tahoe (that I'd had for 14 years) sprung a leak in it's air conditioner. We had it lifted with BFG KO2s put on and those were on their last tread. Steering was loose and the tie-rods were shot. We decided that instead of fixing it up, we'd get something new. At the time, I knew I wanted something for overlanding. I tried a 4Runner, but being 6'3" tall and stout, it was not a comfortable fit. So I went with what I thought was the next best thing. A Sequoia! I was dead set on it. But as I started researching the Sequoia's overlanding mods (or small amount that I could find), I came upon a Land Cruiser. Before that, if you had pointed out a Land Rover, I would have easily mixed up the name for a Land Cruiser. That's how out of the loop I was. I started reading more and more and watching videos (thank you Andres St. Pierre White). When I discovered the activity in the 200 forums here on MUD, I think that hooked me. Unfortunately, it was still out of our budget range, so we got a 2017 Sequoia.

Driving the Sequoia was nice enough, but it was just a behemoth. It was gigantic. It was too big. But we had to deal with it. I kept pining after a Land Cruiser. My 3 year old son and I would watch hours of videos on LCs. We would point them out on the road.

A month ago, my wife and I had a random discussion about replacing the Sequoia. We did some math and realized we could afford up to a certain price point. Not a new LC, but something darned close. The search began! It culminated last week when I saw one that was local, in the color I wanted, and the model year. We waited over the weekend as I had work. Yesterday, the car was still on Auto Trader. I emailed the dealership, and after a few text messages and text bargaining, we came up with an agreeable price. We picked it up last night!

The car is so nice to drive. Looks great in our garage, too (which is how you know you made the right choice!). It has all the features that I was looking for. Soft open tailgate, power lift gate, capacitive touchscreen (which only became an option in the middle of the 2018 year, I believe), remote start and it was white! Only thing I didn't get was rubber floor mats, but I think that's easily fixed. It drives wonderfully. The only issues I have right now are:

• Brakes. They're much different than the Sequoia. I know I'll get used to it.
  • Dent. There's a tiny dent in the rear passenger door. I'm OK with it as there is no paint damage and I bet it could be popped out easily enough.
  • Driver's Seat Position. This is the one I struggle with in every car (except the '02 Tahoe). Being 6'3, I have to move the seat back fairly far just so my knees aren't up in the steering wheel or resting hard against the START button panel. I'm still playing with the controls, but I think I'm getting close. I wish that lumbar support came out a bit farther.
As I said, I'm thrilled. And it's not going to stay a mall crawler. The wife and I have agreed it's going to be our overlanding rig. Drawers, sliders, air compressor, lift, UCA and wheels and tires are all in our future. I guess I need to take a day off and head up to Slee! I'm also going to come up with a maintenance schedule. I need to cycle the KDSS valves. The valve body looks a little rusty, but I bet I can move the nuts (no more than 3 turns!). I'll be picking up some LPS3 grease. I've got a grease gun, but I think it's red grease and I don't know if that's ok for the U-joint zerks. I've got to grab the FSM and definitely a couple good quality torque wrenches. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

I know this was a long post, but I wanted to thank you all for all the ideas and inspiration. Our family's fun is just getting started!

Only question left is, what do I name him?

Welcome! And nice Cruiser!

That truck looks like a Fred. Name her Fred.

Great story of how you came to get a Cruiser.

Our ‘08 is Slee’d. They know their stuff. Can’t wait to see your mods.

What color is your interior?

White is the best. Extra layer of paint for durability; thus it cost more than other colors. It also hides scratches from off-roading the best.

Congrats!

Congrats!

I picked up my white 2018 (like yours) earlier this year after months of thinking I would probably end up with another Sequoia. So glad I ended up with my LC, too!

You mentioned the seats. The seats are way better in the LC compared to the Sequoia in my opinion.

I noticed the same thing about the brakes - they're way more sensitive / responsive in the LC, and you do get used to it.

What color is your interior?

White is the best. Extra layer of paint for durability; thus it cost more than other colors. It also hides scratches from off-roading the best.

Congrats!

I got the terra cotta interior and it's really nice. I normally would want the black interior, but it's a nice change to have some color.

Congrats!

I picked up my white 2018 (like yours) earlier this year after months of thinking I would probably end up with another Sequoia. So glad I ended up with my LC, too!

You mentioned the seats. The seats are way better in the LC compared to the Sequoia in my opinion.

I noticed the same thing about the brakes - they're way more sensitive / responsive in the LC, and you do get used to it.

I love the leather but I just wish the seats had more lumbar support. But as I said this is something I struggle with in every car. It's going to take time for me to figure out the best seating position. Congrats on your LC, too!

let your son name it. My daughter's named both of ours and they couldn't be better fits.

Congrats and welcome! Those body style Tahoes did have some really comfty seats

Congrats and welcome! Those body style Tahoes did have some really comfty seats
Agreed. They were more like truck seats. The LC has more car like seats that I feel try and cup you in. The seat is more concave on the back versus flatter on the back of the Sequoia/Tahoe. But, I'm not getting rid of it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom