New Member Introduction - 91' HDJ81 VX Limited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up my 1991 HDJ81 VX LTD a month or two ago. Factory turbo auto and so far no problems, fingers crossed.
So far its gotten
Full custom FMIC
Hi-Flow CT26 - 25psi
+40 Injectors
12mm Injector Pump
Pump tune
3" Stainless straight pipe
Custom airbox plumbed in
Custom downpipe
Few other things I can't think of off the top of my head but suspension is up next!
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 9.42.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 2.32.50 PM.png

Picked up my 1991 HDJ81 VX LTD a month or two ago. Factory turbo auto and so far no problems, fingers crossed.
So far its gotten
Full custom FMIC
Hi-Flow CT26 - 25psi
+40 Injectors
12mm Injector Pump
Pump tune
3" Stainless straight pipe
Custom airbox plumbed in
Custom downpipe
Few other things I can't think of off the top of my head but suspension is up next!View attachment 3280451
View attachment 3280443
Nice one! I'm running the same model. 1991 HDJ81 VX. The AC powered fridge/ice-maker is a pretty hilarious stock feature hey.

I'm also running 3" exhaust. Sounds nice n meaty. Injectors on mine got done by the previous owner about 100K ago. I'm curious why you upped the turbo psi? Are you still running stock 4.11 gears? Most guys I know prefer to regear to get the most trail power they can. Haven't met many people that go straight to the turbo. How's it been running with the boosted PSI?

If you haven't looked into yet, check out upgrading your brakes to the 93 model year. You need new calipers, and rotors, but once done you can put on much larger pads and really increase your brake capacity.

Hows your bushings looking up front? and your frame up by your steering box? A lot of the 91's get small cracks up in that corner.

Nice one! I'm running the same model. 1991 HDJ81 VX. The AC powered fridge/ice-maker is a pretty hilarious stock feature hey.

I'm also running 3" exhaust. Sounds nice n meaty. Injectors on mine got done by the previous owner about 100K ago. I'm curious why you upped the turbo psi? Are you still running stock 4.11 gears? Most guys I know prefer to regear to get the most trail power they can. Haven't met many people that go straight to the turbo. How's it been running with the boosted PSI?

If you haven't looked into yet, check out upgrading your brakes to the 93 model year. You need new calipers, and rotors, but once done you can put on much larger pads and really increase your brake capacity.

Hows your bushings looking up front? and your frame up by your steering box? A lot of the 91's get small cracks up in that corner.
Its a slightly upgraded CT26, I think the stock turbos operating range tops out at about 20psi. The hi-flow I got has an operating range of 15-32psi so the tuner gave the pump a turn or two and upped the boost, has adjusted 4.88 gears for when the 35s go on. I love the extra kick I get as I'm at 25psi from about 2k up to 3k and it drops after that. Plus it flutters so much, every time I let of the gas I get an earful of "stututu". I haven't really done any mud trails or bogholes as I'm still on 33s with no lift, but it's managed all sand trails and dunes that much more worked trucks have failed on so I think the extra boost helps a bit with that. Have looked into getting the bigger brakes but I'm currently on 15x12.5 wheels and they can't clear the bigger callipers, I'll wait till these tires wear out and then do the brakes at the same time I get new wheels. All bushings replaced when I got it, haven't checked the frame by my steering box though, I'll get to that ASAP thanks for letting me know.

Hopefully you did all your baseline first
100% man, it's sitting at 137xxxkm right now so barely past the break in period and 0 blowby plus the 20 years of Toyota dealership receipts makes me confident it'll last, only concern I have is the fact I'm running a A440F that really doesn't like being loaded up especially in sand or when I have a lot of weight in the car.

edit: Incorrect information in my comment, is supposed to be a hydraulic A442F ( from baby bones)

Last edited by a moderator:
100% man, it's sitting at 137xxxkm right now so barely past the break in period and 0 blowby plus the 20 years of Toyota dealership receipts makes me confident it'll last, only concern I have is the fact I'm running a A440F that really doesn't like being loaded up especially in sand or when I have a lot of weight in the car.

It should be an a442f but fully hydraulic.

I wasn't suggesting it would die because of the turbo. I was suggesting that things like axle maintenance, and other forgetten stuff. To many people dive into mods and forget maintenance.

I suggest a big trans cooler and a valve body from wholesale.

Haven't met many people that go straight to the turbo. How's it been running with the boosted PSI?

You can increase the power output with aftermarket turbo, exhaust, intercooler, tuning by 50-100% without too much trouble.

They respond extremely well to this, and completely transforms the way they drive.

I think the stock turbos operating range tops out at about 20psi

FYI Above 15psi, the stock turbo becomes a hand grenade with the pin out.

It should be an a442f but fully hydraulic.

I wasn't suggesting it would die because of the turbo. I was suggesting that things like axle maintenance, and other forgetten stuff. To many people dive into mods and forget maintenance.

I suggest a big trans cooler and a valve body from wholesale.
Transmission slips hard under load so those parts are a must. Probably go with a cooler, valve body, and torque converter from Wholesale, a lot of their other parts look tempting but money doesn't grow on trees.

A valve body is only going to be a sticking plaster on the slipping transmission. Might buy some time but a rebuild is in the near future. Most 1991 cruisers had the fully Hydraulic A442. There are 2 ways to tell. Fully hydraulic box has a shifter quadrant with 123D. Electronic A442 has 12D shifter quadrant. The other way to check is to crawl under the truck and check for the extra wiring that the drives the solenoids.

A valve body is only going to be a sticking plaster on the slipping transmission. Might buy some time but a rebuild is in the near future. Most 1991 cruisers had the fully Hydraulic A442. There are 2 ways to tell. Fully hydraulic box has a shifter quadrant with 123D. Electronic A442 has 12D shifter quadrant. The other way to check is to crawl under the truck and check for the extra wiring that the drives the solenoids.

D32L

20230401_180843.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom