New member !! I’m Mike I have a 100 series 50th edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

my names Mike I have a 4.2 fte 50th edition 2001 Landcruiser 100 series

325,000 miles

mods done so far

ahc delete
Peddars full suspension
Super pro rear spring spacers
Avm free wheeling front hubs
Toyo mt tyres
K and n air filter
Decat pipe
Egr has been blanked off
Intake pre heater disconnected

so questions, I’m thinking of unichiping my truck, I only use it for work and towing, has anyone had it done to higher Mil cruisers?

I’m also going to convert the rear diff lock to air using those new solinoids off eBay, il get the link, anyone used one yet?

I’ve added some pics of the truck too !

Best regards

Mike

6358F89D-BAF2-43B4-AA63-6E9282D4BE4B.jpeg
ECA399B8-8A63-4E31-BD9F-4AB33DE86D5E.jpeg
0CAD93F3-D740-4A3E-9CD2-C9DE4DEF78CF.jpeg

Use the truck for light Offroading, but it’s main job is to tow jeeps and my suzuki about, hence I’d like some more power.

I’ve cleared the intake out like it shows to online but didn’t really find much in there.
Mileage is high I think, especially if you convert to Kms !
989E264F-E730-401D-A06E-010A951F8207.png
07CB3C67-20BF-4BC8-A811-1B9DB814AB2F.png

Throw the K&N filter in the bin and get a genuine filter in there.

If the tuner is competent, you can get good gains from a unichip. Before doing that, I'd be fitting a 3" turbo back exhaust and a decent intercooler upgrade to maximize the potential.

Also suggest a boost gauge and pre-turbo EGT/pyrometer

Thanks for the advice guys, so before I unichip it get the intake and exhaust sorted, that’s a great help. Is there any other bits to do before getting it unichipped, it will be mapped on the dyno by the unichip dealer.

Only other thing I can think of is where your cruiser is up to with its major service items.
Things like timing belt and tensioner, valve shims etc. Not sure on fte intervals but 1HZ is every 150000km

Cam belt and tensioner been replaced every 100k on this, I think I need to investigate the valve clearance service though, I’m going to buy a manual see if that tells you how to do it.

this is my 4th 100 and it’s also by far the slowest ?!

im into hilux’s as well but there pretty crap compared to lc 😂😂😂

Cam belt and tensioner been replaced every 100k on this, I think I need to investigate the valve clearance service though, I’m going to buy a manual see if that tells you how to do it.

this is my 4th 100 and it’s also by far the slowest ?!

im into hilux’s as well but there pretty crap compared to lc 😂😂😂
I once has a hilux as well with the VNTurbo 1KDFTV engine on it, and yes there is no comparison between an LC and a Hilux. Does your LC have the f/r factory locking diffs? And what are the key differences of a 50th edition from the other LC?

Hello.

50th edition from what I can make out has a satnav screen which I think was probs only an option in 2001 on normal cruisers

wodden steeeing wheel trims and wodden trims in the doors, and the wheels are different to the normal cruisers they where selling at the time here in the uk.

factory rear diff lock only, it’s actuator is seized solid 😂😂😂

same as the centre diff lock is also siezed solid, hence I took it out, manually moved centre diff into locked, put the seized motor back in and fitted free wheeling hubs to gain 2wd !

So I’ve been looking at the stock power figures for cars with 150/190k miles on them, do the really high mileage cruiser power figures start to drop off?

I have a plan in my head to either keep the 100 for a while and do it, or to try and find a 70 series pickup / Ute with no engine and gearbox and put my fte from the 100 into it, I have a Freind in Germany called frank Who has made me really want an 79 but il never be able to afford one, so I thought maybe try and source an earlier one that’s either had the engine removed or maybe even one that’s been damaged from Australia or South Africa.

You have a clean looking rig from this distance. 500,000plus km on my 50th anniversary model. One owner since new baselined all the gear and then upgraded turbo, intercooler, new OEM fuel pump, Unichip and lots of other bits and pieces. 300rwhp & 750 nM so gets up and boogies now. Did an upgrade on the 4 speed auto a few years back and still holding together. My upgrades are probably over the top but has been fun getting to understand the potential of the 1HDFTE.

That’s some mega power ! I bet that’s great fun to drive, Very cool, so I’ve been looking at some dyno sheets from a stock car that has been unichiped the before and after.

285D2F31-B460-4620-A6DC-69783277D4C0.png

So that’s a stock car had done about 175k miles.

I think I might get it dynoed and just see what power it makes, as if it’s considerably lower than the 150/160bhp mark I’d probably be better off doing maintenance before have it mapped?

what would you guys advise, the thing is the trucks a work truck, it’s done 300k miles plus there’s a fair bit of transmissions slop not sure if it’s rear diff or gbox / tbox so it’s not the best cruiser in the world, but I’d like to still give it some more power has loaded up hills it’s a bit gutless and lazy.

I'd say before you want to make power, get a compression check, make sure valve clearances are to spec, if you don't know when they were done, fit rebuilt injectors and if it's got EGR, remove and clean intake manifold.

If you're really after it, fit a wholesale automatics valve body upgrade and this will make a good improvement to the shifts especially with some more power, and I'd suggest a 3" exhaust and an intercooler upgrade.

What are your goals?

Thanks for the advice, that’s great to hear. In the uk there is little to no advice about 100 series fte tuning.

The intake manifold and pipework have all been removed and cleaned which were to be honest fairly free of carbon and sludge

I will take a look into the valve clearances as that has not been done to my knowledge and obviously it is quite high mileage

my goal to be honest is just to make it a bit more sprightly than it is now I have a discovery four Which I know is a completely different vehicle with much more modern technology but I do think this Landcruiser is definitely lacking something

If you want to go to town, turbo, fuel system and intercooler upgrades are fairly readily available, stock fuel system should be good for ~180-190 rwkw with enough turbo, intercooler and airflow. Put a set of injectors in and blow the doors of the disco :):cool:

I will check out the img restriction, might be worth it.

I also have a rattle, and I can’t find out what it is !!
There is slight movement up and down in lower ball joints rest is solid.

Literally sounds like something is loose !

metallic rattle, I’m starting to wonder if one of the crossmembers is loose but I can’t figure it out. I will film it and maybe one of you guys with experience could help me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom