New Low Range Transfer Gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I did it. I installed the Gearmaster gear set from AA in my 60 and have one word for anyone thinking about doing the same. "NOISY":mad:

I'm hopping they will break in and quiet down at least a little. Not only are they loud, but the pitch is annoying. Reminds me of the '71 FJ40 I had many years ago with no carpet... No this is worse!
They should have to include a warning!

Now I've got to try to soundproof the T-case somewhat.:frown:

Haven't got it off road yet, but the 3:1 low is noticeably better.

I have a NV4500 and the stock split case transfer and was having trouble finding a doubler that would work due to the fact that the tailshaft on the trans is cut off short and there's a spud shaft between the trans and transfer. These gears made the most sense at the time.

Install was no harder then rebuilding a T-case. You need a gear puller and some good snap ring pliers. It also requires some slight 1mm-2mm grinding on some high spots inside the case in a few places for clearance.

It would be nice if someone would produce an ultra low t-case that would replace the split case without having to modify the trans output shaft.

Anyway, I'll let you all know if they quiet down when I get some miles on them.

P.S. Anybody doing the Rubicon on Nov 17th?

How much did the gears run? These the same as the Mark's gears from OZ or does AA make them. I have heard people saying both are loud but have never heard them.

Last edited:
whats the stock low range reduction?

AA is the distributor for Marks of OZ

Stock Low range is about 1.92:1 +/-
New gears are 3.05:1

Marks gears cost $1400. Marlin's toybox costs $1500. The toybox gives you 2.28 * 2.28 (or 4.7 if you spring for the bigger gears). I was planning on Marks gears until I realized that the toybox costs about the same. I have no experience with either but hope there is a toybox in my future.

H55f + toybox = :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Yeah the toybox is the way to go in my opinion. If you are going to modifying everything to put in a toybox, go for the 4.7. That is what I did and am very happy with the setup so far. The toybox is very solid and simple design.

I'm not sure I need a 200:1 crawl ratio though with the 4.7. Do you think you would use it? I've driven parts of the Rubicon in an 80:1 and didn't think I needed to go any slower.

That is true.. it is crazy slow. The lower 4.84 in the 5 speed helps too.

I have 4.0 gears in my toybox and the stock gears in the back with th350.... I gotta say that I love the 4.0 gear. Gives gearing choices if nothing else. I can go: 4H. 2L, 4L (2.28), 4Lower (4.0), or stupid low 4.0+2.28L. I love everyone one of the gear choices...

Be careful when you soundproof the t-case, it will still need to cool down as normal. (I have heard of cases where thick mud has caked up on a t-case and caused parts of it to overheat)

maybe just dynamat the interior of the truck or something???

just my 2 bits.

Well I did it. I installed the Gearmaster gear set from AA in my 60 and have one word for anyone thinking about doing the same. "NOISY":mad:

I'm hopping they will break in and quiet down at least a little. Not only are they loud, but the pitch is annoying. Reminds me of the '71 FJ40 I had many years ago with no carpet... No this is worse!
They should have to include a warning!

Now I've got to try to soundproof the T-case somewhat.:frown:

Haven't got it off road yet, but the 3:1 low is noticeably better.

Thanks for posting up about your experience with the Gearmaster. From the people I've talked with they say it does quiet down after a while. Don't know how much though. Does seem like an option if you can't do the toybox or don't want to modify to fit a toybox. Just seem expensive for what they are.

I have 4.0 gears in my toybox and the stock gears in the back with th350.... I gotta say that I love the 4.0 gear. Gives gearing choices if nothing else. I can go: 4H. 2L, 4L (2.28), 4Lower (4.0), or stupid low 4.0+2.28L. I love everyone one of the gear choices...

I can understand having gearing choices since you have to stop to change t-case gears. It would be the choices of 2.28 & 5.20 (2.28 toybox) versus 2.28, 4.7, & 10.72 (4.7 toybox). Does Marlin make the 4.0 toybox still? It isn't listed on his website.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/toy_box.htm

"It is available as a completely assembled bolt on unit, and features helically cut high performance gears that are made by Toyota's gear cutter in Japan. They offer the highest level of strength and reduced gear noise and whine."

Wonder is AA gets them from Japan. Whatever they are.. they are not noisy.

Toybox

I am thinking of ordering the Toybox from Marlin. Will it fit my 1988 FJ62? 5 speed manual with normal 2h-4h-4l Tcase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom