New LC Owner - Requesting Help (Desparately) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've used a lot of different oil filters... I think many on here would recommend 90915-YZZD3. Buy them in bulk and the cost really is low(I paid 3.75 each from McGeorge Toyota). The reason people have mentioned Wix/FramHD/NapaGold etc is that there are some horror stories where the engine experienced catastrophic failure. Good filter media is important but the check valve and quality of the build also matters as you do not want them to come apart and introduce its internals to the rest of your engine.

Sorry to hear about your truck. Hope the damage isnt too bad.

I agree with the others...3k for an engine rebuild sounds too good to be true. Tread carefully.

Also, you mentioned that it was towed home. Was this out an abundance of caution, or was the truck not able to get you home? Hopefully it was appropriately dollied or flat-bedded?

Sorry to hear about your truck. Hope the damage isnt too bad.

I agree with the others...3k for an engine rebuild sounds too good to be true. Tread carefully.

Also, you mentioned that it was towed home. Was this out an abundance of caution, or was the truck not able to get you home? Hopefully it was appropriately dollied or flat-bedded?
Appreciate it. At the time I thought it could absolutely not go any longer as it was driving super rough and clanking more every foot I drove. As I pulled off the freeway the CEL and red battery light came on. I shut it down in a gas station and let it sit for a few minutes, I then started it back up (which it was able to do) and took the video posted. Started it up maybe two other times very briefly and called the tow truck thinking that it would be very bad to drive any longer if it was a rod or rod bearing.

While waiting for the tow truck I called two separate independent toyota mechanics where I have been staying and they both said “there is nothing to vibrate or knock in those engines unless its a rod. Your car is totaled and you need a new engine”. Given two different mechanics said almost the exact same thing (even knowing they didnt know LCs well) I decided best to tow home.

It was flatbedded luckily but I wouldn’t have even thought about the danger of doing something otherwise at the time. Great reminder as this is my first awd vehicle. Thank you!!

Update: Talked to PO. Oil filter is an STP S3614. Good news i suppose.

The PO of my truck used STP oil filters for approximately 50k miles without issues. Not saying that you're completely safe, but it is encouraging that it isn't a Wix/Napa. I have not heard of similar horror stories with STP filters.

I bought 2 LC with rod knocks. From what i can hear, it doesnt sound like rod knocks. Did you pay attention to the oil pressure gauge when the knocks first started?

I bought 2 LC with rod knocks. From what i can hear, it doesnt sound like rod knocks. Did you pay attention to the oil pressure gauge when the knocks first started?
The mechanic (Cesar of Cruiser Tech in Laguna Hills) picked it up this morning. Got to the shop and took off the accessory belt (not sure what belts are seen in the video) and still had the knock. Video below.

He is going to start taking engine down tomorrow to determine if it is able to be rebuilt. He did not want to try to turn engine over any longer for fear that it would blow through the block.

The mechanic (Cesar of Cruiser Tech in Laguna Hills) picked it up this morning. Got to the shop and took off the accessory belt (not sure what belts are seen in the video) and still had the knock. Video below.

He is going to start taking engine down tomorrow to determine if it is able to be rebuilt. He did not want to try to turn engine over any longer for fear that it would blow through the block.

Good luck with the engine work. I've saved a ton of money, reduced my stress, and learned a lot in the 5 months I've owned my previously neglected rig just using the resources on here (like you already are). So you're off to a good start despite the cirumstances. Hang in there!

I'm sorry for your loss....... :frown::frown::frown:

pretty sad for the bad new but hang in there. If you going to rebuild the engine, I have a spare crank with a new set of bearing that had already balance and polish. I will let you have it but u have to come and pick it up. Im located here in garden grove area

pretty sad for the bad new but hang in there. If you going to rebuild the engine, I have a spare crank with a new set of bearing that had already balance and polish. I will let you have it but u have to come and pick it up. Im located here in garden grove area
Wow that is very kind of you. Mechanic tearing into engine today so will find out exactly what it needs in the next 1-2 days. I am close to your location though so will definitely let you know if I end up needing to take you up on that offer.

I'd have said that was lifter tick, not a rod knock... but I haven't heard near as many rod knocks to compare it to. Look at it this way; If you get the engine rebuilt, you won't have to worry about it for ...a quarter million-ish miles.

The sound is obvious to me.
When they built these rigs they always sent in a final inspection mechanic to fill out the quality assurance forms before shipping the vehicle.
Unfortunately Toyota required that the work be done in isolation in a sterile environment.
Sometimes (very rarely) the procedure went wrong because the final inspector was alone.
Inside you will find a miniature Toyota master mechanic who has been banging on the inside of the engine case with his wrenches for near quarter a century.
Probably surviving off the organic compounds in the oil.
Do NOT address his shame!!
Simply release him back into the wild and he will find his own way back to the factory.
Probably a good idea to replace any worn parts tho while you have the engine open.
fare well.

Update: Mechanic took down engine today. LOTS of metal in pan. Needless to say the bearings were shot. Confirming my initial sense and fear - even a broken clock is right twice a day I guess.

Now for the advice: I went down the routes suggested here and FB and got in touch with @Deathvalleypaul who was extremely helpful and even offered me a phenomenal price on a used short block. Unfortunately, the labor and other parts needed make it more economic to buy a new to me long block (reman or serviced). So now I am going down the path of trying to determine which engine to buy (reman, serviced, or used low mileage).

What I would greatly appreciate from the LC elders is the below:

1. Thoughts on the engines below, considering cost/benefit/useful life/anything else i should consider.

2. I created a list of parts I believe I would need assuming I bought one of the engines below (reman or used). I cannot find a list anywhere for this (Beno has list for rebuild that was useful but nothing for buying a longblock) and tried to do the legwork so that I could learn, BUT if any experts here could review and add thoughts it would be appreciated – I am sure I am missing a lot. SEE ATTACHED FOR FILE.

Engine Options (that I have found):

1. Most Expensive – ATK Reman Engine - $3,688 (free S&H)

ATK Engines 850A: Remanufactured Crate Engine for 1995-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser & Lexus LX450 with 4.5L L6 1FZFE | JEGS

Includes 36 month unlimited mileage warranty. Have heard a few people say they do not trust remans.

2. Least Expensive – EngineWorld - $1,950 + $250 S&H = $2,200

1993-1997 Toyota Landcruiser Engine for Sale - 4.5L | Engine World

6 month warranty. This is the cheapest option available (for just long block) that I have found. They represent that they replace the HG on these engines via phone, but their website only says they “clean and test” their engines so I am a bit skeptical. If anyone has any experience here let me know. At least one member on FB bought the same engine from them and they also told him they replaced the HG.

Picture of engine below from the person on FB (not sure if member here) that bought/installed an engine from this provider last year. Looks very clean and complete. I have asked for pictures of the engine I would be buying.

1587614614916.png

3. Middle Option – CruiserParts.net – Serviced Long Block - $2,500 (TBD on S&H)

1FZFE Remanufactured Engine 1993-1997 [19000-66052-R] - $3,999.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

From website: Completely serviced 1FZFE available. A serviced engine is disassembled, measured, checked, cleaned, with new Head Gasket, rebuilt cylinder head, Front & Rear Main seal, Aisin Oil Pump & Timing Kit.

After researching the company on this forum it appears they do not have a great reputation so will count this one out for now I guess unless someone tells me they have had a different experience.

Would appreciate if anyone has any other engine suggestions or reputable companies. Thanks, all.

Attachments

• Engine Build Comparison_v1.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 70
How about a NEW Toyota short block from Olathe Toyota?

That sucks...my condolences :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom