New hdj81v in portland :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I recently imported myself a hdj81v to replace my 4 runner. So far I'm loving the truck, haven't done too much to it yet as I've been busy at work, but eventually it's going to have some goodies on it.
The turbo diesel 5 speed is a blast to drive. it's hilariously piggish at times and then flips right around and feels "fast". 1st gear is so short in this, I almost don't ever use it...

It came to me relatively stock, which was one of the things that caught my eye.
Apparently it has some sort of an exhaust on it, maybe part of a suxon.
has an evo 7 or 8 drivers seat
it also has no-name / RSR lift springs and Rancho shocks (USA made shocks on an import....I lol'd at that when it landed) and a pretty bland home-made looking rear bumper.

One of the first things I did was remove about 10 lbs of excess wiring for the TV tuner and DVD player that was missing the tv screen, and the fact that it wouldn't work here. it was a surprisingly large amount of wire harnesses! I added the wheels and tires as well, too. I also Tinted the windows since it arrived, it definitely needed it!

Things that don't work; adjustable springs (ranchos), the headlight sprayers, and my Greddy boost gauge...which is my fault, I accidentally snipped the power wire to it removing the tv tuner stuff. My power folding mirrors Kind of work.

Things I want; cruise control, a center console fridge, a set of fender flares to fill the holes for them, a secondary fuel tank, and onboard air for my train horn.

32147714_10211906972085281_4859293318288244736_n.jpg

I'll take some more photo's of it here soon!

Last edited:
With a three inch turbo-back exhaust and a little more low down fuel added it will drive much better. My truck stock was dead below 1800 rpms where it started building boost. Once I added the exhaust and some low down fuel it would start spooling at 1300 rpms

I would love to have one with the steering wheel on the proper side of the vehicle, of course. Did they make them for any country outside of the US with left hand steering?

Where was it from? Japan?

Yep! I frequent the car and car parts pages in japan almost daily lol. I usually import kei cars and sports cars but I couldn't pass this up for my own collection :)

With a three inch turbo-back exhaust and a little more low down fuel added it will drive much better. My truck stock was dead below 1800 rpms where it started building boost. Once I added the exhaust and some low down fuel it would start spooling at 1300 rpms

Good to hear! That's what I've been thinking of doing here pretty soon. just been trying to research to find a downpipe.

I am planning to convert mine just as soon as I get to the 25 year mark. emissions in my county require no engine light and removing the slush box throws an "engine light".

Here's an engine bay shot. I'd say she's in pretty good shape! Could use an intercooler though. been slowly cleaning the engine bay, it had minimal grease / oil grime which is pleasing. I like how the clutch master cylinder has a vacuum booster. I thought that was a nissan thing lol.

33769717_10212001684293027_4683895589883084800_n.jpg

Looks like a nice truck, I'd try and find a stock airbox to replace that "hot air intake" ASAP.

Also, adding the center console fridge to a truck not already equipped is no small feat.

I have a stock airbox, this intake was a mild experiment. this is my first diesel I've owned so I'm seeing how much it changes vs a regular gas engine. My next test is going to be putting the filter in the fenderwell, if space allows. other than cool sounds I don't think it's done much, I don't really feel much of a difference in the pedal. will be able to record fuel mileage changes in a week or so. currently getting about 21mpg. reading up the airbox thread / argument has been interesting to say the least!

I have done some research and found how difficult putting an OEM fridge in would be, and being that I don't have the A/C lines going to it, i figured I should do an aftermarket - should have specified lol. While I am capable of finding used lines in Japan, shipping them would be....a chore. probably break even just buying an aftermarket one!

I would love to have one with the steering wheel on the proper side of the vehicle, of course. Did they make them for any country outside of the US with left hand steering?
Sure did... I have a European spec'd 1991 HDJ-80 with a five speed. I would love to have headlight wash and cruise on mine. Working on figuring out how to do an Air Con conversion to R134A.

What do you mean by "a little more down fuel added?" I am pondering about doing the 3" turbo back exhaust, and I long to hear some turbo whistle. Any advice?

What do you mean by "a little more down fuel added?" I am pondering about doing the 3" turbo back exhaust, and I long to hear some turbo whistle. Any advice?

Adjusting the "smoke screw" adds fuel before boost comes on, by adjusting the starting point depth of the aneroid rod. There's a LONG thread on injection pump tuning in the diesel section that should bring you up to speed if you plan on messing with your injection pump settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom